A/T's and H/Ts

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1273 Views:3353 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have Highway 265/70 R 15's on my vehicle but am now doing some off-roading and wish to go to All Terrains. Off-roading probably 2 to 3 times a month - trails mainly.

Would I be able to do this gradually i.e. place 2 back tyres being A/Ts and fronts being H/T, as finances permit? I don't want to stuff up the transmission. The tyres would be exactly the same dimensions - Bridgestones - I think the H/Ts are 680s and the A/Ts are D 693s.

Thanks for the help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ray - Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00
dont buy bfg a/t mine get punctures just looking at a dirt track
AnswerID: 4087

Follow Up By: Fred - Saturday, Jun 08, 2002 at 00:00

I'm interested in your comment Ray. I have road tyres on a Toyota - Dunlop - original tyres for the vehicle. On two recent outback trips - Simpson Desert and Lake Eyre, I have had no tyre troubles. I have helped others in our group changing punctured BFG and Bridgestone All terrain type tyres. Friend changed from OE on his Toyota which had given him no trouble to BFG and had sidewall damage within a month in suburbia. Any similar experiences around as I'm looking at replacing my road tyres - they've clocked over 103,000km. I was always going to go for BFG A/T as they seem recognised as the best but weighing up my experience I'm leaning towards staying with road tyres. I also coped with mud and sand as well as the others. After some heavy rain in Innamincka area we all had difficulty but I noticed that when full of mud an A/T tyre looks much the same as a road tyre!!
FollowupID: 1744

I'm interested in your comment Ray. I have road tyres on a Toyota - Dunlop - original tyres for the vehicle. On two recent outback trips - Simpson Desert and Lake Eyre, I have had no tyre troubles. I have helped others in our group changing punctured BFG and Bridgestone All terrain type tyres. Friend changed from OE on his Toyota which had given him no trouble to BFG and had sidewall damage within a month in suburbia. Any similar experiences around as I'm looking at replacing my road tyres - they've clocked over 103,000km. I was always going to go for BFG A/T as they seem recognised as the best but weighing up my experience I'm leaning towards staying with road tyres. I also coped with mud and sand as well as the others. After some heavy rain in Innamincka area we all had difficulty but I noticed that when full of mud an A/T tyre looks much the same as a road tyre!!
FollowupID: 1745

FollowupID: 1746

FollowupID: 1747

FollowupID: 1748

FollowupID: 1749

FollowupID: 1750

OOPS!! Too many clicks!!
FollowupID: 1751

Follow Up By: Member - Allyn - Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2002 at 00:00
Mine have done Gibb River / Kalumburu twice in the past 12 months alomg with numerous other Pilbar/Kimberley adventures and I still have a brand new spare sitting on the back. No punctures, no splits in 25000 km's thus far. My only concern is longevity, which I cannot answer at this early stage but I have no apparent signs of wear as yet. I would try others given the right recommendation but will probably stick to BFG A/T's .
FollowupID: 1886

Reply By: RAY - Sunday, Jun 09, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 09, 2002 at 00:00
mccoy have a look in Archive april 4 2002 for Rod Harper cooper a/t bfg a/t also look at www.overlander.com go to technical then down to bloody bfg . I have used bfg before they used to be a very good tyre but the new a/t ko is not the same tyre at all ,very soft.
AnswerID: 4094

Reply By: Royce Moncur - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2002 at 00:00
Bad luck mc.... noone actually answered your question. I reckon you would get away with running roadies up front and muddies at the back if you want. Depends how new and swish your vehicle is. My old cruisers wouldn't mind much. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 4136

Reply By: Kim McFarland - Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00
As an alternative, have a look at the Geolander range of tyres. I have the same size H/T's as yours and have now done over 65000km on some pretty rough tracks including two trips to the outback. I probably have another 10000km left and will buy the Geolander A/T when the time comes.
During the two outback trips, my mate had nothing but trouble with BFG's
ranging from constant punctures to severe tread damage. The Geolander's never missed a beat-Bloody fantastic tyre!
AnswerID: 4185

Sponsored Links