Vehicle suitability for towing

Submitted: Monday, May 10, 2004 at 09:18
ThreadID: 12740 Views:2109 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Good morning.

Can users please explain just what "can be towed by a small or lightweight vehicle" means. I have a Daihatsu Feroza and apart from the alternative of buying a bigger vehicle for towing a bigger camper trailer I would like to know what, if any campers I can legally, practically and economically tow. Legally, a Jayco Finch fits the bill but I think 1600ccs would be struggling with it. I often tow stationary engines long distances in a 7x4 trailer and the weight can be around 600 plus kgs. Obviously I haven't made a purchase yet and am open to any suggestions (not too rude by you big 4x4 owners). I have just discovered Jayco Flippers - are they much lighter than Finches? Without siunding too greedy, I do want have some room and comfort!!! Thanks for any assistance.

Neil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 09:54

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 09:54
Neil,

As you would know...towing is easy, its the stopping that's important!

You will have to read up on your vehicles towing capability which should be somewhere in you handbook. It may even be on the compliance plate. The towing rate is given as GCM(Gross Combination Mass). You also have to look at you towbar capability. Legally you may tow 1.5 times the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

I towed a 3 tonne 27ft caravan throughout Oz for a long time clocking up over 250,000km. It was hard going and I only had ordinary cable brakes on it. I just took it easy and we had a good time oin the road without incident.

I cannot help you with camper trailers as I have no experience with them. My bush trailer(you can see it if you click on my pic) only weighs 600kg fully laden.

Cheers
AnswerID: 57947

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 10:47

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 10:47
Willem is right check the vehicle hand book it will tell you what weight you can legally tow, as for camper trailers most of them are from 500kg to 1 tonne unladen Jayco style campers might be a bit of a struggle for your vehicle, on flat ground would be fine but braking down hill and going up hills it will struggle. you can get a good camper that is easy to tow with the feroza that has comfort and room, our's is 16' x 10 with queen size bed and a 16' x 8' annex fully enclosed plenty of room we think, do a search on this site or go to google and type in camper trailers it will bring up all the trailers that would be good for your needs.

Baz.
AnswerID: 57951

Sponsored Links