2nd Spare Tyre - Anyone strapped one on rear Door??

Submitted: Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:02
ThreadID: 12746 Views:2317 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Folks,

We wondering if anyone had ever strapped a second spare tyre carcass (carcass only, not rim as well) onto their exisitng rear-door mounted spare wheel?

I have a Discovery, and want to take a 2nd spare down the Gibb River Road - corrugated(!), and space is limited. (Can't get it on the roof, before anyone asks as we're putting a Thule Box up there.)

I'm worried that the extra weight will break the rear door. The local LR dealer thought 'it might be alright' but better strapped to the bullbar.

Anyone tried it and any stories to tell?

Thanks,

Barney
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:23

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:23
Barney
I've never tried it on any my Nissans. I knew a bloke several years ago who did an extensive outback trip in a GQ. Before he left he made up a bracket so he could carry 2 complete tyres/rim (split skinny's) on the back door. I told him I thought he was mad (in as nice a way as I possibly could, of course). 3 months later he was back and had not had any trouble with the extra spare being there over some rough roads.
I've gone the other way; being a bit sceptical of the longevity of the GU's rear door hinges. As per my rig pic # 2, you can see I have a dual spare wheel set-up from Opposite Lock. I would not hesitate to mount another case onto one of these wheels if I thought it might be necessary.
However, there is no way i would stick one on the back door mounted spare wheel.
AnswerID: 57980

Reply By: Willem - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:30

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:30
I have my extra casing on the bonnet of the truck.But then again it is a Datto G60 and drilling holes was not an issue. Have jusrt completed a 3000km outback trip on very corrugated and rough tracks and it worked well.
Cheers
AnswerID: 57983

Reply By: Matt14 - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:31

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:31
Barney

I have trouble with the seals on my GU letting some dust in and im convinced it is due to the door flexing on the rough stuff with the weight of the spare. I wouldnt like to add any more but Discos might be different.

matt
AnswerID: 57984

Reply By: Leroy - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:40

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 14:40
You see heaps of people with high lift jacks hanging off the spare on GU's. What's the weight of the hi-lift compared to the tyre? Just a thought.

Leroy
AnswerID: 57985

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 18:10

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 18:10
Barney. Alot of the locals up in the Kimberly actually take the spares off the rear door of their Troopy's & stick them on the roof rack or throw them in the back. The continuous pounding on the rough roads was tearing the door skins off. Defenders had a similar problem & a reinforcing kit was available for them. Adding weight to a tyre mount above it's design rating then testing it on the GRR may have a poor result. The Disco may have a stronger door, I don't know?
Anything strapped to the Bull Bar I suspect would probably be illigal.

With the improvment in tyres & roads over the years I've stopped carrying a second tyre. Instead I take 2 tubes & a side wall repair kit. In the unliky case of wrecking 2 tyres I can patch one up & limp into town. I normally travel with someone I can borrow one anyway.
Only when on cross country desert runs do I carry a 2nd.
Exception to this rule would be people driving on speed rated road tyres. In that case you could well need both. Cheers Craig.......................
AnswerID: 58019

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 18:25

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 18:25
Barney,

I have done that in my GU Patrol. Just the carcass on a bracket that looks like it is a "top hat":

the 'brim' of the hat stops the tyre carcass coming off, while the open end has the existing wheel studs slipped through 3 lugs. I did this to avoid taking the roof rack on one trip. Only went up the Strez & back through haddon Corner, tibooburra to Murray Bridge, so the roads wern't too tough. No probs on the hinges etc some
50, 000 km later

Cheers

PS would not fix it to the bull bar as I would be worried about overheating etc.
AnswerID: 58024

Reply By: Slammin - Monday, May 10, 2004 at 23:24

Monday, May 10, 2004 at 23:24
FWIW I'm with the NOMD (not on my door). I've seen them on bullbars as well but wouldn't do it myself.

I would ask you tho, how long do you want the car b4 you sell it? Is it just this one trip? If it's a 1 off ............. should be alright.

Also I live in a rough rd remote area and I wouldn't even carry a spare on the doors for any length of time, all brands pay the price eventually.........
AnswerID: 58100

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:05

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 12:05
Theres a dude in the outback challenge vid I have, that had a spare 35 strapped carcass strapped to the normal spare 35, which would weight lots of KG more than a cheeze cutter, at the end of that even he was ok, so in theory wouldnt see any problems with yours.

Bullbar, think there would be enough weight there, do you have a winch? if not should be easy, if so, could be gettin heavy on front springs
AnswerID: 58139

Reply By: Barney - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 14:56

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 14:56
Folks,

Thanks so much for all your input - much appreciated :-)

Barney
AnswerID: 58157

Sponsored Links