Air system - Attn. Roachie

Submitted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 15:59
ThreadID: 12778 Views:1718 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All
Firslty - Roachie, thanks for the imformative posts you made a while back about your air system. It was a great help to me while setting mine up as I was a complete novice with air systems. Mine is not as elaborate as yours - but will do the job I hope.

Anyhow - I'm in the final throws of getting mine sorted out. It's plumbed up and all mounted - but I still need to wire up the electrics and fit a switch in the dash somewhere.

Anyhow, this is a bit of a dumb question (how long is a piece of string) but, with a 4 litre reciever tank pumped to 100psi, roughly how many tyres can be brought back to usual operating pressure from about 20psi before the compressor is left with all the work? Although I guess I'll find out soon enough....

Also - another dumb question - what sort of compressors and tank volumes would be required to run air tools (e.g. rattle guns) - I know some people have systems capable of this on their vehicles...

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 16:08

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 16:08
goodday troopie dont know about your air problems but in answer to your string question it is the same length from the middle to each end lol
steve
AnswerID: 58170

Follow Up By: paul2.8d - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 16:32

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 16:32
Actually, the longer it is, the more! Cheer's Paul. lol
FollowupID: 319900

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 16:40

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 16:40
G'day Troopie,
I don't consider either of your questions to be in the "dumb" category mate.

Firstly, with my 3 litre tank pumped up to 100psi there is virtually no advantage as far as pumping up tyres is concerned. Almost as soon as I connect the hose to the tyre (within 5 seconds), the compressor cuts in. That would even be the case if the tyre was already at, say, 35psi and I wanted to pump it up to 37psi. The reason is that the volume of air contained in the air tank is not a real lot.

I don't reckon a system using any brand of electric (12v) compressor would be much good for a rattle gun. I would think you'd need one of those 20 litre tanks and a air-conditioner type compressor (eg: EndlessAir) to run anything like that.

The only reason I have my tank set-up is for the air horns and the diff locker; also maybe blowing a bit of dust out of somewhere etc.

Sorry if I've been a wet blanket to your hopes etc.

Cheers,
AnswerID: 58174

Reply By: GaryW - Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:54

Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 20:54
The guy fitting my 20ltr tank says he has a 5 ltr tank that does one tyre from 20psi to 32psi. So I reckoned 20ltrs should do 4 tyres. Probably not that simple but it was only a few $ extra for thr 20 ltr tank so why not.

Gaz
AnswerID: 58228

Reply By: sensei - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 01:16

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 01:16
You will have 24 litres of air in your tank, I dont think that will be enough to run air tools as the volume of air is not there. Buy hey give it a go after you have finished the wiring.
AnswerID: 58260

Reply By: srowlandson - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 08:33

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 08:33
I have a 9litre air tank, and has sufficent volume to get 2 tyres from about 15 to 35 quite quickly.
the last 2 tyres are a little slower, so here i discconect the tank and just fill the 2 tyres (no use pumping the tank back up and wasting time)

My spare gets pumped to about 65psi before i go offroad, and has enough extra pressureto get one of the front tyres up to pressure so i only really have to wait for the last tyre... and those of my mates who don't have a compressor and always ask for an air up after i have packed it all away ;)

AnswerID: 58274

Reply By: srowlandson - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 08:33

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 08:33
I have a 9litre air tank, and has sufficent volume to get 2 tyres from about 15 to 35 quite quickly.
the last 2 tyres are a little slower, so here i discconect the tank and just fill the 2 tyres (no use pumping the tank back up and wasting time)

My spare gets pumped to about 65psi before i go offroad, and has enough extra pressureto get one of the front tyres up to pressure so i only really have to wait for the last tyre... and those of my mates who don't have a compressor and always ask for an air up after i have packed it all away ;)

AnswerID: 58275

Reply By: Troopie - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 09:59

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 09:59
G'day All
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Roachie - I plumbed up a 4 litre with the same intention as you - eventually I plan to run air lockers - and it would be good to be able to blow things clean (I got the tank quite cheap). The possibility of using other tools and the rate at which it would pump up tyres was kind of secondary.

Sounds like a good tip might be to rig it up so I can isolate the tank and thus not have to pump it up along with a tyre though - thanks to the others for this - hadn't thought of that - like I said - a bit of a novice with air systems....

Thanks everyone!

Will let you know how I get one when I get it finished over the weekend.

Cheers
AnswerID: 58290

Sponsored Links