What do you think of the Outback Camper??

Submitted: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 at 21:57
ThreadID: 12794 Views:2415 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone,

We live in Melbourne and are about to purchase a camper trailer and are down to two choices, either the "Cooper" by Tambo or the "Canning" by Outback. We need to consider the weight of the camper as we are towing it with a 2.8lt Deisel Hilux. We are also a family with two small children and so we need a bit of space. With so many different campers to choose from we wondered what advise people had about these two options?? Any other suggestions?? Has anyone taken either of these along the W76180?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 09:53

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 09:53
Geoff if you look at the bottom of your post click on camper then scroll down to Tambo there is a link to their web site should have specs that might help.

Baz.
AnswerID: 58287

Follow Up By: Geoffrotunda - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 21:06

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 21:06
Thanks Baz
FollowupID: 320078

Reply By: Nigelj - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 13:13

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 13:13
Hi,

I do not have an outback, I have a southern cross but my mate does. We are also in Melbourne. We did the GRR and Tanami two years ago. Both trailers performed really well. His model is the one with the large box on the front and the body extends over the tyres. I think it is there biggest model. Only real problem we found was when slidding the kitchen ( in the side) back in the pipe for the water tap sometimes caught on the end of the kitchen but we have now rectified this buy taking the hose off and twisting it a bit more. He also found whilst the box on the front was good it seems every time you wanted something it was down the bottom. Also had to carry the extra jeyry cans insdie the box which made it smell. The only other difference I have noticed between his and mine is his jumps around a bit more than mine on the rough as he has alko suspension ( more forgiving ) and I have leaf springs. My other mate who was also with us in a tent has recently purchased a true blue but have not tried this off road yet.

Hope this helps
Good Luck
AnswerID: 58308

Follow Up By: Geoffrotunda - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 10:14

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 10:14
Thanks for the info'. I didn't realise that the alko suspension can cause the trailer to jump around a bit. Good to hear that you had no problems on the GRR. I would be interested to hear what your mate with the Tru Blu thinks of it after giving it a good run. I read in this forum that a couple of people had trouble with the Tru Blu. That was another option we have been considering but we were put off a bit after reading the trouble people had. We really liked the kitchen on the Tru Blu. Do you think the kitchen on the Outback is sturdy enough?
FollowupID: 320139

Follow Up By: Nigelj - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 14:16

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 14:16
Only time will tell but so far no problems and has had quite a bit of use. I will follow the outcomes of the true Blue.

Nigel
FollowupID: 320153

Reply By: Colin T - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 19:01

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 19:01
Hi Geoff

I am slow at making decisions and must have done 5 years of research.

Hired an Outback, read magazines, visited several manufacturers and ended up spending far less than what most others wanted by purchasing a Tambo camper.

I have done the Gibb and the Tambo didn't miss a beat. (Looks good behind the GU as well.) Reasonably challenging road but at the right speed for the conditions and you will be fine.

By the way the Canning from memory comes off the back of the trailer - this gives you a narrow width floor. My Tambo comes off the side and kills the Outback we hired.

We are thinking of adding a bedroom before our Kimberley trip in August.

Doesn't mean Tambo is for you but get down and compare.

Col

AnswerID: 58359

Follow Up By: Geoffrotunda - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 10:22

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 10:22
Thanks for the info' Col. This really gives us something to think about. What type of kitchen did you go for with the Tambo? Tail gate or slide out? Apart from the room in the tent area is there any other things that you recon are better with the Tambo? Was either one easier/quicker to set up?
FollowupID: 320142

Reply By: Colin T - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 10:45

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 10:45
Hi Geoff

We went for the tailgate kitchen as they are lighter and looked good. Now that we have done a couple of trips I can say it also functions really well and is very robust.

At the price ($450-500 from memory) it was also good value. Stainless top and powder coated. The Outback kitchens are timber I didn't like.

Both campers took similar time to set up but another big advantage of the Tambo is that they can put the bedbase on gas struts so you have easy access to your gear in trailer. Hence no need to have slideout drawer or kitchen. They also have gas struts on the hatch under the mattress which helps get things in and out of trailer.

Tambo has larger windows and for us the price also was a consideration - Tambo way cheaper !!

Outback make a very good product, but Tambo have gone to the next step in my opinion. You wouldn't go wrong with either.

Good luck.

Col

AnswerID: 58570

Follow Up By: Geoffrotunda - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:56

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:56
Thanks Col. We are going to head down to the Tambo factory and have a chat to them.
FollowupID: 320370

Sponsored Links