Shudder at around 1800 revs, hilux 2.8d

Submitted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 10:13
ThreadID: 12807 Views:2473 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have recently been experiencing a shudder when driving (after the clutch is fully released) and reach around 1800 revs. The shudder is most eveident in second gear, but still present in other gears should the revs drop low enough. The shudder began after I had all the suspension replaced including poly bushes and greasable shackles. Could something be loose?

Has anyone got any ideas what may be causing this and how I may solve it?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 12:50

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 12:50
Milamber
Remove your tail shaft and check the universals for play or binding. While they will stand a reasonable amount of play they really hate it with even the slightest binding. If that is the source of your shudder fix it quickly or you will also find yourself having to replace that rubber mounted centre bearing (I think the lux still has one of those??).
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 58306

Reply By: chubbs - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 15:41

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 15:41
Could be a few things mate if you just had your suspension replaced
I have the same problem with car shuddering and it turns out that one of the wheels had egged it self
If the car had old tyres i would be having that checked

CHEERS
CHUBBS
AnswerID: 58326

Reply By: Paul's lot - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 17:52

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 17:52
A shudder is too indescript. It needs to be test driven to give accurate opinion but having said that also check the centre bearing on the tail shaft. Also does it still do it with the clutch fully released with the car in neutral and the revs up? If if does then you can discount that as the shaft don't turn. If it does do it at a stand stiil in neutral while bringing the revs up then try it again with the clutch in. If it is evident in neutral with the clutch out but not evident with the clutch in then you can look at a gearbox problem and at a guess more likely to be lay-shaft related but do your checks first before you go jumping to conclusions and ripping out boxes, it may be something simple like a broken engine or gearbox mount or flogged centre bearing or universal joints the list goes on.. Good luck sunshine.
AnswerID: 58346

Reply By: Harrow - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 20:05

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 20:05
By chance when you had the suspension replaced did it also include a lift, if so excessive tailshaft angles probably compounded by a spongy centre Bearing , then look at unis

lowish revs when motor is starting to produce some reasonable torque, loading up drive train, had it in my lifted hilux for years.
AnswerID: 58370

Reply By: Milamber - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 20:23

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 20:23
Thanks for the replies everyone!

When the suspension was replaced (parabolics) it did recieve a lift of around 50mm. I was told that this would not be enough to adversely effect tailshaft angles, maybe it is after all as the shudder did not happen previous to the new suspension install.

The shudder does not happen when the engine is revved in neutral, only when driving. I will check out the uni-joints and centre bearing, hopefully that is all it is!

Thanks again
AnswerID: 58375

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 08:13

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 08:13
I doubt that the 50mm lift caused the problem per se - there has got to be something else and I suspect that it will be a slightly binding universal.
FollowupID: 320131

Follow Up By: Leroy - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 11:10

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 11:10
I agree and with Harrow also. Let us know how you go Milamber.

Leroy
FollowupID: 320145

Follow Up By: Milamber - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 11:40

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 11:40
Hiya,

I haven't removed the tailshaft to check the unis yet, but I think you are right RE: binding as the shudder has decreased quite a bit after repeatetly greasing the uni joints. I have been pumping grease into them for the last couple of days and it seems to be helping.

Thanks and Cheers.
FollowupID: 320549

Sponsored Links