Jackaroo T/D

Submitted: Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1281 Views:2299 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at purchasing a Jackaroo T/D (99 model) in the next week or so. Any good/bad stories about the TD Jackaroo that you can share would be great. I haven't heard anything negative yet though. I don't want to know if you think Nissans or Toyotas are better, just your experiences with Jackys.
Thanks
Tim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DennisN - Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Tim, I don't have a TD but currently own a 98 V6 Jacka SE and am more than pleased with it. It suits my 4WD needs as I approach the wrong side of 60 :) Don't interpret that to read either me or the Jacka are a soft touch, its just that as well as being a bloody tough machine the Jacka has a darn sight more comfort than a lot of 4WD I have driven, and I have driven a bloody lot of them in the last 43 years. My last 2 long term 4WDs have been the ever faithful Nissan Patrol diesel wagons. Great machines - tough as nails, but I still prefer my Jacka [and so does the treasurer :) Hope you like yours mate. enjoy the bush.
AnswerID: 4116

Reply By: Darian - Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00

I have a 99 SE Diesel Jackaroo Tim.....suits me perfectly....looked at bigger wagons ,but did not need the room and the cost...I really enjoy the Jack....comfortable and plenty of power. Have a look at the 2000 - think it came out with a CD player (not in the 99)...couple of other improvements too as I recall...may not cost much more (this would be the model just before they went to the wider track, now out). The donk is wonderful but being high tech I worry about the cost of keeping it. The services can be costly, especially if they have to adjust the valve clearance - lot of dis-assembly to access the shims. It has 2 oil filters, 2 oil pumps, very high pressure injection and a head and cylinder block that can never be resurfaced. I pull a HD 7 X 4 off road camper trailer - not a snag at all. Pays to find a good mechanic I think - I have done some servicing myself....now changing oil at half rec. intervals (and the oil grade is very important for starting). Dealer has been a huge dis-appointment - unreliable - untrustworthy (you get my message). Will be placing my faith in an accredited small business mechanic (be afraid, I say, when the service reception guy at the dealer is outside greeting customers and wearing a double breasted suit (I kid not). I'd sooner they actually do all of the things on the list, and use the right oil too, plus actually adjust the valves when they say they have (but didn't)....I feel better now.
AnswerID: 4119

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Monday, Jun 10, 2002 at 00:00

Darian, you must be going to the same crappy dealer that I used to go to. Surely all of Holden service can't all be that bad.... or can they? It may be something to consider about the Jack, as my EX-dealer it seemed, only knew how to change engine oil, and that literally was about it. They hardly ever did anything else and certainly could not fix simple problems. The Jack probably wont be a problem, the dealer on the other hand may. Regards Slunnie (who hopes all holden dealers are not the same).
FollowupID: 1763

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 11, 2002 at 00:00
Here's a turn for the cards then. I have a 2000 Monterey, and have had absolutely no problems with my Holden dealer's service department. It's the second car I have bought from them, and going on how they have treated me I'll buy and have serviced a future car from them. I think though it is the fact that one of the service coordinators, the only guy I will talk to here, his treated me with integrity. Everything I ask for gets done and I verify it myself. All warranty work that I have requested usually gets fixed first time and if not, they always let me know why and when it can be done. In summary, they are not all the same but trying to find the good ones can be difficult. I don't know if I can name the dealership in this forum, but it is located in the Sydney suburb of Arncliffe. PS ... I have bad service experiences with other outlets of this same dealership chain.
FollowupID: 1766

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2002 at 00:00

Hi Tim,
I have owned 2 '99 model jack TD's. (wife rolled first one).
First one was a 12/99 model auto, and the second (I still have it)
is a 7/99 manual.
The 12/99 had win starting batteries, an accessary socket in the cargo area. While the earlier one doesnt.
The auto in regards to around town or towing is (was) a complete pleasure to drive. I didnt get to try it off road so i cant say how the auto would have went.
In regards to problems, it is very important to use the correct grade of oil,I have just changed from Castrol GTD to Castrol Magnatec and it made a big difference to the hard starting and especially to the idle.( I was given a list of oils by Holden that are the correct grade and can be used, I'll see if i can attach it some how for all the Jack TD readers to see).
The earlier models have a faulty batch of injector seals fitted that bleed air over night and make it a bitch to start when cold, your holden dealer can fax off your VIN number and find out if the seals need to be changed.The 7/99 one is on the cut off for the revised seals so the dealer is going to change them any way. The radios seem to get interference on AM, my local autoelect has seen a couple like that.
Fuel consumption no matter what I do to it around town or a quick hiway trip allways is around 10 litres/100 k's.
Good luck in whatever you choose but I think the Jack TD is a pretty good unit.
Will.
AnswerID: 4123

Reply By: Darian - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2002 at 00:00

Yep to all that........ If the radio interference (from the injectors - a real pain) is a snag, I may have some useful tips.
Have fixed mine with an aux antenna for outback travel.
Castrol dynamax 10w-40 is the best oil I have used - all synth, but costs.
The current RX super may get the fling - getting a bit long in the start, and my injector seals have been done under warranty (so they said, on a piece of paper).
email is darian@picknowl.com.au.
Cheerz.
AnswerID: 4127

Reply By: Damien - Tuesday, Jun 11, 2002 at 00:00

G'day Tim, great choice mate but i am biased. I own a 2000 model T/D & couldn't be happier. So far it's gone everywhere i've asked of it without fuss, it's got heaps of grunt for towing, is comfortable & enjoyable to drive & is very economical.
The only downside is, the wife likes it too much & i can't get in the thing!
Any problems have already been mentioned previously - nothing too bad, just make sure you service it regularly & use top quality oil.
Good luck!
AnswerID: 4129

Reply By: MIchael - Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 14, 2002 at 00:00
Hi Tim,
I have a '98 TD Jackaroo (essentially the same as the '99, I think), and am very happy with it. I tow a camper trailer which would weigh about a tonne fully laden, and it's a breeze. Fuel consumption is better than 10 litres/100 km, or around 11 to 12 when towing the camper. Offroad, it's very good except the ground clearance is not that wonderful. Low range first is great, epecially on steep downhill. You do need to use the right oil, such as Magnatec, or you can have trouble starting it on cold mornings. Have had no mechanical problems of any kind (have done about 75000km). One thing I did was buy a second set of wheels, with AT tyres. If going offroad, or on an outback trip, I will put these on rather than use the highway tyres it comes with, which are fine for going to work or touring on blacktop, but not much else. If you are into camping, there is ample space in the engine compartment for a second battery.
AnswerID: 4183

Sponsored Links