Camping at the top, Best Place?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 16:16
ThreadID: 12814 Views:4086 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Which is the best camping at the top of the CAPE. Siesia, Loyalty Beach or Punsand. We will be there 4 days including 1 O/night Thursday Island. We have temp booking at Siesia holiday park as we do not know which is best .Can anyone advise what this park is like.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: miker - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 16:26

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 16:26
Nigelj,

It's a personal thing but I don't think you can go past Siesia. We camped in the park but on the beach high tide line. The share facilities were good i.e. power (Engel), lights, cooking bench and running water. Central to all and great fishing off the main jetty only a hundred meters away.

Don't forget to have a squizz at Mutee Heads and Somerset if you like beach camping.

Mike.
AnswerID: 58333

Reply By: Bros - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 16:38

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 16:38
Nigelj,
Camped at the Seisia caravan/camping ground two years ago. Had trouble two nights in a row with a local trying to get into one of our tents. Had a word to the manager who passed it on to the local Aboriginal Council and no more trouble. This may have been a one off thing. We were camped right down near the wharf end and so were visible to anyone who walked past. Good amenities and shop/restaurant. Forget the price now but was reasonable. Punsand Bay was more remote and someone else may know more about it. As for loyalty Beach, i don't know anything. At Seisia there is open camping, powered sites and bungalow type thingos. Local supermarket a couple of hundred meters down the road and servo adjacent to caravan park. Catch the ferry for T.I. at the wharf. Hope this is of some assistance.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 58336

Reply By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 16:43

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 16:43
At Siesia the facilities are very good but it can be crowded, you are pretty much in town, and you get all the tourist "buses" staying there in quite large groups (up to 20) and it can be noisy.

Loyalty Beach on the other hand is quiet, also with good facilities.

Our vote went to Loyalty Beach.

Bruce
AnswerID: 58337

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 17:14

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 17:14
I like to take our groups to loyalty is a bit quieter and not as crowded.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 58340

Reply By: DEFENDER-110 - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 17:45

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 17:45
Hi we stayed at Pujinka but it is shut now, i believe. Friends stayed at Punsand and i feel its the pick.
When at TI make sure you go on the HORN IS. TOUR there is a lot of history up that way.
went Barra fishing from Seisha for the day that was excellent i recall it was the chap from Seisha campground that took us up the Jardine.

Peter
AnswerID: 58343

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 20:25

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 20:25
Punsand Bay especially if you have kids - camping is popular there though, you can go up to the restraurant for dinner and have a beer aswell - prices pretty good. If you want to buy beer - when you go over to Thursday Island on a tour buy some then as its cheaper there. Punsand Bay has a kids club - kids have dinner 1hr before adults and get a icecream and free video out the front on the grass away from the adults while there relaxing. Punsand Bay also has fishing tours from it and the place is not far from the tip and some good 4Wd trails. Summerset is a great bush camp - away from everything (remote).
AnswerID: 58376

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 20:49

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 20:49
We spent 5 days at Loyalty Beach last year and really loved our stay.We found the caretaker/owner really friendly and helpfull,we had plenty of room with views out over the bay looking towards T.I.Origianally we planned to stay at Siesia but it was booked out-read really crowded.
Can highly reccomend Loyalty Beach
AnswerID: 58383

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 08:11

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 08:11
Nick
I am tossing up between Seisia and Loyalty with my group of 7 vehicles in July. I have stayed at Seisia in the past but I don't think Loyalty was opened when I was last at the Tip. Do you have any pics of Loyalty - if so could you please email me one at peteandlyn22@bigpond.com.
Thanks
Pete
FollowupID: 320130

Reply By: Large - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 07:36

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 07:36
Cape York August 2001, 1 night at Seisa and 1 night atLoyalty Beach. Loyalty Beach much better, cleaner, less crowded and quieter. Was able to have a campfire as well. If you have to stay at Seisa its ok but if I had a choice i would try LB first.

Cheers

AnswerID: 58416

Sponsored Links