Jackaroo 3.5L V6 oil pressure

Submitted: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 at 22:36
ThreadID: 12826 Views:4147 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My 2000 model 3.5L V6 Jackaroo is suffering from fluctuations in oil pressure. At normal operating temperature and normal driving speeds (say in the 2,000 to 2,500 RPM range), the oil pressure can differ from trip to trip. The motor has 110,000 kms on it and from new until recently the oil pressure gauge always sat neatly on the '6' marking. Although the gauge doesnt have many markings on it, I am estimating that the oil pressure at the same RPM and full operating temperature is now varying between about 4 and 7 (i.e. sometimes lower and sometimes higher than in the past) with it still registering a steady '6' on many trips.

The local Holden dealer hasnt been too helpful in the past, hence I am interested if anyone has experienced the same and can give me some advice on this one. As the pressure is fluctuating higher and lower trip to trip than the past norm, I am guessing it may be a fault with the pressure sensor/sender or a sticky pressure release valve.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: LT - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 08:13

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 08:13
Peter
My 2000 V6 sometimes does the same thing. Particularly when I changed the oil and slightly overfilled it. Seemed to go away when I drained to the correct level. The owners handbook says that this sort of variation is normal.

Cheers
AnswerID: 58418

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, May 17, 2004 at 12:32

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 12:32
have you recently changed oil types / grades ?? as the viscosity affects the pressure read at the guage.. the oil may not be very stable at different temps.
AnswerID: 58898

Sponsored Links