Kanga Camper Trailer

Submitted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 13:24
ThreadID: 12835 Views:9855 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
We have heard lots of good things about Kanga Camper Trailers, but we are just wondering how easy they are to put up and take down. Any advice from Kanga owners would be appreciated.

Jabiru

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madcow - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 14:02

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 14:02
Did you know you can hire them before you buy? Give the guys here in Wodonga a call and they will help you out.
AnswerID: 58452

Reply By: jabiru - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 14:08

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 14:08
Thanks Madcow but its along way to go to Wodonga to hire a trailer.

I'm pretty sure that Kanga Campers will tell me that they are dead easy to put up.

I was really looking for comments from owners or past owners of Kangas, just to reassure me before we committed to further research.

Jabiru
AnswerID: 58454

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 20:29

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 20:29
WWOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
WE ARE THE PROUD OWNER OF A KANGA CAMPER, Sorry got a bit excited there.
(Did you like that Andrew). Jabiru, we have had our Kanga Campaer since September last year and are so happy with it. Tows great, looks great and is great. Plenty of storage room underneath that is 99.9% dust proof. Heeps of room inside them for extra beds if you need to put another stretcher in, the queensize bed is as comfy as (and we are both big people) arnt we Andrew, lol, it tows really well. We went away at Easeter with our 4wd club up to Big River and Mt Terrible and the people who followed us said how impressed they were with the way it sat on the road and round the bends up the mountain. I can set it up on my own but I havnt actually had a go at packing it up on my own yet, but I think I could do it OK. The kitchen set up in them is good and easy to work with, but we did have an extra half wall made for the front to close in the kitchen if we got really bad weather. I would recommend them to anyone, we have had no teething problems with it and I'm sure if we did Mick would be only to happy to fix it.
Can I ask where you live Jabiru, it may be near us so you can have a gander at ours if you would liike too. If you want to know anymore info on them drop us a line on the email gckmpiper@bigpond.com.au and I can give you our phone number if you like. Only to happy to help you with any info......
Karen
AnswerID: 58502

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 20:32

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 20:32
OOPs and there is Geoff showing another fellow who was very interested in them............you wont be dissapointed Jabiru.
FollowupID: 320208

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 22:24

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 22:24
....and if you visit there is really good chocolate cake and coffee and they have a really posh telly and...... they are pretty big......those Kangas have heaps of room. lol lol
Andrew
FollowupID: 320233

Follow Up By: jabiru - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 07:46

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 07:46
Geoff & Karen

That's just the sort of information we need, we saw one at the 4x4 show at Darling Harbour earlier in the year and were taken by the quality but unfortunately they didn't have one setup for putting up and down.

We live up in Sydney and actually baby sit a *** ******* CAMPER Trailer(I wont mention the brand on forum) for our friends who don't have road access to their house. We used it last weekend and it is an absolute nightmare to put up and has so many design flaws and poor quality finish that it sort of put us off the idea of a camper trailer.

From your remarks you are obviously very happy with your Kanga, so here are a few more questions

Which model did you get? (we are thinking about the Marloo)
Have you had it up in bad weather?
Does it leak? and if so from where?
What is it like putting it up or packing it up in the rain or if the canvas is wet?
Has anything broken on it?
Is there anything you don't like about it?
Is there anything you think could be improved on it?
How is the paintwork holding up?
Have you made any modifications or developed any tricks to make it easier or better?
Wev'e got two kids so would mostly likely have two folding stretchers for them, do think they would fit OK?

Lots of questions but any response would be greatly appreciated.

Jabiru
FollowupID: 320261

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:56

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 11:56
Hi Jabiru, OK we got the Big Red Deluxe, the Marloo wasnt out when we got ours but we did see it at the Albury show. Yep certainly have and the rain on the rood sounded brilliant, Touch wood no leaks anywhere. Apart from getting a bit wet as you would packing anything up wet, you must pull it out when you get home to dry it out. Dosnt take long thought to dry it out. There has been nothing broken on it, and we have had it on some rough roads as well, they are so solid it would take a lot to break them. The step into the bed is a bit high for ME, but then I am a big girl and my ankles freeze up in the mornings. I find it easier after a few drinks to get into bed,,,,,,,lol. There was so mant different makes of campers we looked at first, but this one suited our individual needs, ie, dont have to take boat of boat rack to set up camper, solid robust cast iron cooker, that you can put a big drum of water on for the shower or the boys with their lobsters. Just the way it didnt have to unhook the trailer if you wanted to stop for a cuppa in a parking bay on a trip, you can just pull up and slide out the kitchen for your morning tea.
A couple of chips in the front, but that was our fault, we didnt put the stonegaurd on going a long a gravel road. Now we make sure we dont leave it off. We have got the same. Sometimes we have had 3 kids with us in the bottom part on stretchers as well as our suitcase full of clothes. We have 2 stretchers and a king single swag and I have found as long as they keep their bedding neat and not all over the campsite there is still more than enough room for you to move around. We have got the 10 foot annexe on it, and the awning out the front.
Apart from all that, it's a pretty good camper all round. If you want to know anymore give us a yell...Like us you will probably have lots of questions, so give us a yell..........0418187300.
We also had extra wiring put in it so we can trickle charge the batterey. Geoff also put a batterey in one of the jerry can holders cause we go out bush a fair bit. We got a light put above the bed which is handy and a couple of hella plug outlets put in to run fridge etc.

And by the way Jabiru, I get no commision for the good feed back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL LOL LOL We are just more than happy with ours.
Give us a call if you would like to.
Karen & Geoff
FollowupID: 320290

Follow Up By: jabiru - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:00

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:00
Karen & Geoff

Thanks very much for the info, its sounding better all the time. We are flat out this weekend but I will try an give you a ring from work sometime next week. Your feedback has been great, just the reassurance we need, and if you aren't on commission from Kanga you should be!!!!! LOL LOL

Cheers from
Jabiru
FollowupID: 320356

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 20:51

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 20:51
...so Karen, do you reckon they are any good or not???????????
FollowupID: 320376

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:55

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:55
Well Andrew, we have had our Kanga since September last year and .....................................................................LOL
Yep I think they arebleephot,,,,,,,,,didn't I make myself clear on that, oops, I must of missed something......................lol lol lol lol lol
I think jabiru might get the message that we are happy with ours.......
Karen
FollowupID: 320387

Reply By: Cobra - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 00:25

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 00:25
Have to agree with G&k, the Kanga is the ants pants. We had not had to operate it one out as yet, but I have no doubt that it would be simple. Normally, I am assisted with the erection but the packing is solo. I my opinion, you cannot go wrong with this IF you want a soft floor
AnswerID: 58548

Follow Up By: jabiru - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 07:49

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 07:49
Thanks Cobra for the information.

I think we are sold on soft floor type, we have heard a lot stories of problems on unlevel ground.

Jabiru
FollowupID: 320263

Follow Up By: flappan - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 09:11

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 09:11
Why not name this "other" brand . . . call it as you see it.

It could simply be there is a simple trick to these campers , and someone will let you know.
FollowupID: 320268

Follow Up By: jabiru - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 18:41

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 18:41
flappan,

Thanks for your reply. I am sure that there are lots of tricks, that would of made it easier but that really wasn't my point.

Don't worry, I will definitely "call it as I see" when it is relevant, but it wasn't my intention to bad mouth a borrowed camper trailer, but rather my main reason for posting was to ask for information about Kanga campers from owners or past owners. I used the borrowed camper to illustrate my concerns regarding the difficulty of putting a camper trailer up and down.

Cheers
FollowupID: 320353

Sponsored Links