81 subaru sports wagon

Submitted: Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 19:04
ThreadID: 12848 Views:1739 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
does any one know any aftermarket accesorise for a 81 sports wagon.or any hot ups i can do to it (for eg turbo)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cruiser88 - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 20:46

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 20:46
Hi Neville

Sharon (the Wife) and I have had 3 Subies, 2x 84,s &1 x 88 model . We reckon they are a great honest little car (& handle a roll over real well too, She still lives - Sharon that is not the car) For a suspension lift most people get enough by winding up the torsion bars. Have seen a few with the lower portion of the front bumper cut off to increase entrance angles. In my opinion this is there one real let down. be careful if fitting 14" rims as they can scrub the front wheel arches. We found that it was a pointless exercise it looked good but had to fit lower profile tyres to stop the scrubbing. This defeated the clerance purpose of the bigger rim (we bought it like this). Have never seen a factory Snorkel or proper bullbar but there are heaps of light bullbars and bumpbars around. Sunspares on the Sunshine coast deal mainly with Subies and have a heap of knowledge. Used to be real good to chat with over the phone but haven't spoken to them for a long time. Keep the CV Boots fresh and crack free $20 beats $250+ anytime. Hope this helps
Cheers
AnswerID: 58506

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 23:25

Thursday, May 13, 2004 at 23:25
There were a few Turbo models sold in Aust., but they would be like Hens teeth! (a friend in Perth had one).
You could fit an 'L' series Turbo motor (rare as well!) and 5 speed gearbox if you had the the mechanical knowedge - the 5 speed conversion by itself is relatively easy and makes a big difference to the cars 'driveablility'.
There were also some twin carby models sold - you may be able to PU one of these motors from a wrecker/importer like Sunspares?

I wasn't aware that the 14" wheels had a clearance problem - I had 14" wheels on an 'L' series and there was lots of space.

Contact Sunspares, Scorpion and SubaExtreme for other gear/advice.
AnswerID: 58540

Reply By: Member - Royce- Friday, May 14, 2004 at 00:15

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 00:15
Don't worry about it........ just have fun in the little 'goer'. They do almost anything if you try..... unless of course you've got a 'sludgematic'.... one of ours was auto... not as much fun as the others. It gobbled juice and without lowrange, just didn't do the same stuff as our others. I rolled one [twice]. The first time we climbed out, pushed it back onto its feet and 4wd back onto the road hoping noone would notice...... Later I guess I fell asleep one warm afternoon on a corner..... I had to kick the roof up while lying on my back to make enough room to crawl out. The seat belts worked and I didn't get hurt either time. [mind you the horse in the horsefloat was not so happy!!!!!]
AnswerID: 58544

Reply By: rolande- Friday, May 14, 2004 at 10:42

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 10:42
Neville,
Look under subaXtreme in a search engine, a co. in Queensland who do all sorts of bits for "Tube-a-glues". May find what you want. Also, search through things like WRX groups, amazing what you can pick up which may suit you.
rolande
AnswerID: 58569

Sponsored Links