GU Patrol - OME LTR worth the $

Submitted: Friday, May 14, 2004 at 17:02
ThreadID: 12870 Views:2577 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

My next project on my Patrol(2003 GU 3.0TD) is to upgrade the suspension. I have decided to stick with ARB OME (warranty, support, brand name, etc).

Just wondering if anyone has had the standard OME then upgraded to the LTR version. I'm trying to get feedback if it's worth the extra $1200 ?

Thanks in advance
Phil P
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gerk - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 17:45

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 17:45
Phil I went to Innaminka when my Pootrol was new (300ks when I headed off)
The suspension was the most noticeble thing compared to my old 80 series that had OME. Had OME fitted when I got back, like chalk and cheese. Make sure you get the correction bushes fitted other wise the steering is very light on the black top. cheers from Paul
AnswerID: 58630

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:36

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:36
Paul,
Those OMEs of yours are "standard" Nitrochargers. Phil is talking about the LTRs (the ones with the remote cannister that you have to mortgage your kids to be able to afford). At $360- each (when I priced them), I just couldn't justify them, but I reckon they'd probably be good.
I've been wondering what to do about shockers for a while now and after hearing what Wayne (NSW) had to say, I've decided to stick with the Konis for the time being. I was contemplating the Tough Dog "Ralphs" which are re-valved prime-mover units with a huge bore size and oil capacity @ $260- each.
Nobody seems to have anything good to say about the various brands of variable shockers (eg: Rancho, Tough Dog adjustables or the new TJM X9s); apparently they are good to start with but you end up having to leave them set on the harshest setting after a short time.

Phil,
If you can afford the LTRs, I would be very interested to hear what you have to say about them once fitted and used over trying conditions.

Good luck,

FollowupID: 320367

Reply By: Phil P - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:56

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:56
Hi Roachie,

I'm hoping someone else has had the pleasure of spending the extra $1200 over the standard OME suspension. It's a lot of extra $$ over the standard OME !

Phil P
AnswerID: 58643

Reply By: Andrew & Jen (Melb) - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:04

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:04
I have the LTR's on my 100 series T/D Landcruiser adn I reckon that they are fantastic. The roads that we went on for our recent trip were pretty tame but they were fantastic. The good thing is that you can change the amount of nitrogen in them (or ARB can) and have them either pretty hard or soft depending on what you like. They are much better that the standard OME ones which I blew up on our Cape York trip and why I went for the LTR's. The other thing about the LTR's is that you can get them rebuilt which means that they should last a hell of a long time if you can reco them.

The other thing I noticed is that they ran quite a lot cooler than the standard shocks I had used in the past. A shock absorber is really a heat exchanger - kinetic energy is turned into heat and that is what causes shocks to fail most of the time. The LTR's did not heat up much compared to the standard OME shocks. So I reckon that they are worth it.

I gather that the IFS on the 100 Series cruiser is pretty hard on shocks and that is why I bought them too. The guy at Seisa in Cape York said that he had a big number of IFS cruisers do their front shocks on the trip up there which is another reason I bought the LTR's. Apparently the IFS has smaller shocks than the live axle model and the IFS, I am told, means the wheel moves at a faster frequency and through a greater range than a standard live axle on corrugated roads. Not sure if this is true, but if it is, the 100series IFS with smaller axles is likely to be harder on shocks.

I know that the cruiser stuff is not relevant to you, but I reckon that they are a great shock.

Andrew

Andrew
AnswerID: 58653

Follow Up By: Michael_FNQ - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 18:50

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 18:50
Like the ad says "LTR - Extreme performance shock asorbers - Developed to be the best" Found them to be awesome. It should be remembered that if you are not going to work the vehicle extra hard then the normal OME shocks will give the same performance.

LTR's just let you go faster and harder for longer!
FollowupID: 320431

Sponsored Links