Jackaroo search ... still going ...

Submitted: Friday, May 14, 2004 at 17:04
ThreadID: 12871 Views:2497 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hello everybody!

Just to let you know what we did about the Jackaroo (1992 LS) ... we walked away!

The NRMA inspection revealed a lot of issues in the motor and the gearbox - plus some indications of a fairly severe collision on the right side. The NRMA guy indicated to us that the 3.2 petrol engine is noisier than the 3.5 litre engine. But we don't have enough actual Jackaroo experience to discern that. Does anyone here know this to be true?

The dealership backed off on what they were prepared to do ... I don't blame them. They have a lemon - we don't! The salesman, who was our contact, - was honest and said everything he could without actually saying the words "walk away" - so if anyone wants a holden used car salesman (in Canberra) who is at least a bit honest - contact George Paton - Belconnen.

What has this taught us - that the Jackaroo's are worth the look. In fact we are now looking for one that is in much better condition. We like the roominess and the 4WD capability, we are not at all bothered by the fact that it is not as "round towny" as the Pajero.

If anyone out there has one (you know - mechanically perfect with less than 200K Km) for sale (up to $15K) let me know - we're in Canberra.

Thanks everybody for your advice and comments.

Cazo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sparkie - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 17:33

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 17:33
I just Bought mine!!!!!!!!
1992 jackaroo xs (private buy) $10,000
225,000 kilometers and goes well. I had my mechanic go through it for me and all he found was worn clutch( not worn out!) one front bearing needed repacking and limited slip diff not so lsd anymore. The car is not noisey as such as we can talk to each other without having to raise our voices and the only time it is noisey is when you put your boot into it. no discernible inside noises accept at rear door. there is a noise coming from there as though there is something loose. not overly noticable but when you look at cars you pick everything at first.
No serious offroad work has been done by previous owner as it was very clean underneath. My mechanic (Eddie) told me to look for signs of paint worn of protection plates and dents in protection plates as well. The only 4wd'ing I have done was my front gutter 150 mm high concrete and then 300 high of rapidly rising lawn, did it in two wheel drive like it was nothing(impressed this Newbie)
Eddie told me it was in the right price range for the kays! No signs of previous smashes or thing fixed up
I can honestly say I'm as happy as a pig in @#$%.
The only thing I have found not to my liking is how it steers. It seems very loose to start with.Other than that I have never ever owned a 4wd before but I like this one.

regards
Sparkie(IE not Y);-)

AnswerID: 58628

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:07

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:07
Good on you mate, glad you finally found somthing that suits your wants and needs (even if it's not a surf) LOL.
Hope you have heaps of fun with it!

Just one thing mate, now you have it don't do what I did and drive on the tar for the first 18 months, just bite the bullet and get out there! You can't keep me away from the bush nowdays!
FollowupID: 320359

Follow Up By: Cazo - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:48

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:48
Hello Sparkie ;)

We're looking forward to going further into the bush, than our gutsy Liberty is prepared to go - hence the search for the Jackaroo.

Thanks HEAPS for the great detail about the mechanical condition of your vehicle - it helps us frame a reference for when we are looking at them.

Go on - get out there - the outback and the bush have some great places to visit. Don't wait too long!

Have fun!

Cazo

FollowupID: 320383

Follow Up By: Savvas - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 09:56

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 09:56
Hi Sparkie,

Steering is a bit vague on these and they also tend to follow the crest of the road. This can be minimised with a properly done wheel alignment and experimenting with tyre pressures. I run my front tyres at 36 to 38psi and it steers better than the factory specified 31psi. Tyres also wear more evenly at these pressures.

Get a reputable place (one with better than good 4wd experience) to do a wheel alignment on it as this seems to be difficult to get right on a Jackaroo. A lot of tyre shops seem to get it wrong, but I have found that Bob Jane at Blakehurst in Sydney's south does a good job on mine.

Sounds like you have a good relationship with your mechanic, so talk to him about the alignment.

FollowupID: 320413

Follow Up By: Savvas - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 09:57

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 09:57
By the way ... those pressures are "onroad". I drop to 30psi offroad.
FollowupID: 320414

Reply By: Paul1 - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:04

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 19:04
Hi Cazo,
Its nice to know there are some honest salemen out there and he should give you a commission for the plug you gave him. The jackaroos are a nice compromise between getting off the bitumen and collecting the groceries. There are plenty of them out there and you should have no trouble finding a good one.

All the best with looking
Paul.
AnswerID: 58635

Follow Up By: Cazo - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:51

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:51
Hello Paul,

How's your kid?

It is good to acknowledge something good about a used car salesman!

Yes I think that the Jackaroo will fit our needs and our budget - we'll find what we're looking for - eventually!

Cazo
FollowupID: 320385

Reply By: TonyT - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 20:12

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 20:12
caz- I own a 1992 one (Melbourne) which I am thinking of selling- I have the full history etc. (I am 2nd owner)- great vehicle for us but thinking of a ute- don't want to look like I'm trying to offload a vehicle on you, but if you have any interest at all for more details etc. I'm at: ajt@alphalink.com.au- it'd be less than 15K's, as I reckon that's too much for a '92. Cheers TonyT
AnswerID: 58647

Follow Up By: Cazo - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:43

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 21:43
Hello Tony,
Thank you for your interest in my request for a Jackaroo.

Melbourne is a $200 / 17 hour round trip - a bit of a ordeal with three kids, a Uni degree and a husband who is overloaded at work at the moment! Otherwise - we would have pursued it.

I hope that it doesn't take too long to manage a vehicle rearrangement - Ute for a Jack'. We are hoping to do the same type of thing with a '96 Liberty.

Good luck!

Cazo
FollowupID: 320380

Follow Up By: Cazo - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 20:56

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 20:56
TonyT
After a bit of a re-think ... and a talk with my other "equal" ...

Is Your 1992 Jackaroo a LS model? We are looking for one with 7 seats. The '92 LS had the 3rd row seats that were like little bucket seats complete with an integrated head-rest ... not like the one in later models that were straight across the top and no head-rest.

Could you tell us the K's and any other details that are relevent when considering a used car! If you prefer to email me direct it is: harclade@tpg.com.au.

I have a brother who is prepared to a bit of the leg-work down in Melbourne .. where are you, north, south, east or west?

Cazo
FollowupID: 320441

Reply By: Savvas - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 07:14

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 07:14
Hi Cazo,

Yep, the 3.2 can be noisy if oil changes haven't been done religiously as scheduled. The noise issue comes up from crud building up in the valve lifters over time, leading to a tapping noise when operating.

I think there is another thread on this forum about it, but the other Isuzu forums have lots on the issue. Try -

E-ZooZoo on Yahoo, or Isuzu Trooper forum on Yahoo

Getting an inspection and walking away was a good move.

AnswerID: 58692

Reply By: Paul1 - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 13:25

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 13:25
Hi Cazo,
My son, Jacob, is doing well. The problem is, he is 9 year old going on 15. With the rapid onset of winter he constantly tells me, "I don't feel the cold. I don't need to rug up. cough cough." So I let him have his way. He thought having a day at home would be be fun, but a few days in bed wollowing in his own self pity wasn't what he expected. He'll be back at school Monday and is now wearing slippers and warm clothes. I heard a fragment of a song this morning on the radio. The lyrics went,"Too young to learn and too old to listen..." That about sums him up.

On the Jackaroo front, have you thought about contacting a car broker or a wholesaler. You put in your order and they source vehicles across Australia that are traded. There are a lot of quality vehicles traded and get distributed to car yards. Costs are below car yard prices, but you don't get a warranty. Its like buying privately but you don't do the shopping around and cars can be sourced from further afield. You can always take out one of those private warranties if you feel you need one.

Happy shopping. Take care
Paul
AnswerID: 58790

Follow Up By: Cazo - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:26

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:26
Hello Paul,

Yes - I know what a 9 year thinks like - my eldest is 9 in October - she seems to think she's amune to the cold too!

Yes - we are now considering contacting a wholesaler. Lindsay, husband, already knows of someone who is prepared to do that type of sourcing. We realise that, Canberra, is a small city - and we will need to shop further afield.

Nah, we don't need a warranty - as we don't go into deals without looking first.

I'll post the culmination of our search - j ust in case you're interested.

Meanwhile - enjoy your 9 year old - soon he'll be 15 and a lot less like the managable "9" you have now. They all grow up - invest now and he'll pay you back with interest.

Cazo
FollowupID: 320519

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, May 17, 2004 at 12:11

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 12:11
Hi again Cazo, good to see you left that little heapa alone, as i said it sounded a bit sus.. Good luck with your search, anyone i know with one certainly aren't in a hurry to sell e'm..

RE the 'vague steering', the jackaroos have a very strong power steering system and this is why they don't run steering dampers at all. This means that they dont need much encouragement to change direction. A good wheel alignment helps greatly as stated , Also they have a vibration damper in the steering column in the engine bay which over time develops a slight 'play' and contributes to a bit of the loose feeling . I am working on a fix to this as there isn't one currently available, trying to come up with somthing that can be done 'in-situ' without removing too many parts, possibly shimming / possibly coating. Will let everyone know when i finally work it out.

If you drive with a loose grip on the wheel it isn't too bad.
AnswerID: 58895

Sponsored Links