Connecting a GPS to Laptop

Submitted: Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:06
ThreadID: 12882 Views:1598 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Quick questions. Just trig to connect a Platinum GPS to a compaq laptop. Anyone have any idea? Using a 9 pin serial cable going through a gender bender and branching out to a 25 pin plug. GPS is currently connected to the 25 pin port connection at the back of the laptop but the system does not recognise it. Need help.

regards

nick ops sorry Eric
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:15

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:15
Eric,

25 pin plug on laptop will be LPT1 parallel port not serial. If the plug on the laptop is a female plug (holes)? then - Parallel not serial. If it is a new laptop it may not have a serial connection (usually 9 pin male plug), in this case get a USB convertor to serial and plug it into the USB port.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 58661

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:15

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:15
Eric,

what software are you trying to connect it too? and also what Operating System?

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 58662

Reply By: reisender - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:19

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:19
You could check in Windows (I assume you use Windows) and your BIOS if the COM/Serial port is enabled and working. If it is so you might have a driver problem. Check if there were any drivers (e.g. on a CD with the GPS) and install them. You can also let Windows search for new Hardware after you installed the cable.

regards,

Reisender

p.s.
If you dont know what you do, dont change anything in your BIOS.
AnswerID: 58663

Reply By: Member Eric - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:26

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:26
o well , i wont have it working for gembrook then lol . I will get a adaptor for serial port tomorrow and give it a go .

Also noticed that it froze the GPS when connected i asume this is due to the wrong cable
AnswerID: 58666

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:52

Friday, May 14, 2004 at 22:52
Wrong port there mate. Take it to the electronics shop just to be 100% but I have looked at that end of enough laptops to know that I have never seen a DB25 connector on the back that was for serial. If is is female 25 pins it is for the parallel printer. There are USB convertors on the market however a few things to note for OziExplorer use: Keep the baud rate down a little say 19200 or 9600 (you do not need it any faster anyway) - reason is the USB - Serial converters do not support standard comm port interupt driven flow control and you can get overruns. USB cables do fall out (there is no fixings for the connection), ensure the plug will not fall out over the bumps. When you plug in the USB convertor take note of the com port it is assigned as you will need this in OziExplorer (it is not always com1).

Good luck and have fun.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 320396

Sponsored Links