Truscott Air Base

Submitted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 00:52
ThreadID: 12885 Views:3359 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any info on how to get to Truscott airbase by road?

There was some talk in the forum last year about road access but it isn't clear whether the people concerned followed it through or not - I'd love to hear from anyone who can shed some light on what is actually out there, how to get there etc.

Cheers,
Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 16:16

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 16:16
Pete,

There was a article in 4WD monthly or Overlander, within the past 2 years about the access road, and what to see there. Lots of abandoned vehicles, and maybe a few aircraft. Expect rough travelling.

Apologies for the vague reply.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 58718

Reply By: joc45 - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 20:20

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 20:20
Pete,
I was up in Kulumburu in '01, and asked the Community about access (there is a rough track from there to Truscott, and it's through their land), but was told a definite NO. The situation may have changed, and a phone call may get an update. Certainly when I was last there, permits must be obtained from the Custodians to travel almost anywhere in the region; eg, an extra permit was required to travel out to Drysdale River NP.
Stories abound that Truscott is maintained by a mining company which discourages any access unless permission is granted, which will not be given; even aircraft aren't allowed in without permission. I know there have been fly-ins by groupls of war veterans, but these have been special occasions.
I'd be interested to know the latest myself, as I'd love to get out to this historic spot, esp since I'll be up that way in a couple of months.
Gerry
AnswerID: 58740

Reply By: lindsay - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 13:14

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 13:14
I tried to get in there in 2001 had a positive no from the locals, had a bit of a look and was told that the road had been washed out badly during the previous wet and that the road was not passable. Contacted a bloke at Kunnunurra who had something to do with the celebrations that are held there to commemorate the war,
he arranged to get permits to allow us to fly out with one of the local charter operators, faily expensive for the aircraft and the charges for sitting on the ground out there. We had to pay $250.00 just for the landing fee and the bloke wanted us to shout him a seat and even then we were not gauranteed to be able to look around the site. Abandoned the idea due to time and lack of certainty.
Can find the blokes name if you wanted it, as there are heaps of stuff to look at out there. I was told the strip was/is used by private operators for coast watch or customs or something. This bloke has a good idea as he was involved in the work of getting the strip operational again.
AnswerID: 58789

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:58

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:58
gday Hedonist
the wifes grand father served at truscott & the inlaws are up their at the moment as evry now & then they have a reunion of those that were there,access is controlled by the aborigals & they lease holder for the air strip most travell is done by sea & air there is a road in but as others have said it is hard to get permission to go. This is even the case for the veterans who served there
AnswerID: 58962

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 11:01

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 11:01
just a quick follow up ,i spoke to the witch(mother inlaw) last night on the phone,they are at kunnanura as we speek & is having toublr getting out to truscott ,but she did give me the name of the company you need to contact they are called Santos you will also need to contact coast watch & the local aboriginal comunity.
The road out is quite ruff & im not sure how long it takes
to fly out to the air strip was going to cost around $2000 to hire a 4 seater sesnerso is very expensive

hope this is of some help
regards Bruce
FollowupID: 320690

Sponsored Links