GU - Koni Adjustment

Submitted: Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 02:01
ThreadID: 12886 Views:2299 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Forumites,

I have recently purchased Koni shocks and King springs for my GU, which I am going to fit tomorrow. Springs are 50mm lift (fixed rate front, progressive rear).

The Koni shocks are adjustable, however supplier has recommended that they be installed in the as received position. I am going to do this and see how it goes, however I wonder what other folks have found. Is there much difference between the 5 settings, or is this something to adjust over time?

Regards,
Hugh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 16:47

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 16:47
Gaday Hugh. I have found the car rides & handles well on the softest setting for normal driving, but when heading out fully loaded on out back trips I screw them right up hard & the car handles the bumps & corrugations better.
Many only screw them up over time as they wear out but that is normaly a very long time. The one down side I have found to having them on the tightest setting is the shocker rubbers occationally fall to bits so I carry a couple of spares.
It only takes 20 minutes to adjust all 4 so try them on a couple of settings & see how your car handles.

Cheers Craig. HZJ105 Cruiser.
AnswerID: 58719

Follow Up By: theratt - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 17:41

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 17:41
crackles i got koni shocks on my patrol just interested on how do you adjust them as i have them fitted , and would like to know how this is done

thanks
FollowupID: 320430

Follow Up By: macandjen - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:24

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 21:24
Crackles, I would also be interested in how to adjust them. I just came back from a big trip with a fully loaded car and trailer so I will be dark if I did it all that way and could have adjusted the shocks.

Thanks

Mac and Jen
FollowupID: 320443

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 23:49

Saturday, May 15, 2004 at 23:49
Thanks Craig,

I'll fit per factory setting (softest) and see how I go from there. I just reviewed the Koni website and adjusting rebound damping seems relatively straight forward. I'd say you've got it mastered at 20 min for 4. I appreciate your comments.

For those people that asked about adjustment, the attached link explains how to do this.

How to adjust Koni shocks

Regards,
hugh
FollowupID: 320452

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 15:05

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 15:05
The Koni site is a bit teko but put simply you undo the top bolt holding the shock then fully compress it until it locates in a cam. Turn it from 1 to 5 half turns. (180 degrees) Clockwise to increase dampening. As you open the shock back up you will feel the extra drag then bolt up again.
Some long travell shocks have an internal bump stop to avoid damage to the foot valve. To adjust these you must first remove a rubber washer by pushing it down from the top with a piece of wire through 2 small holes. You will soon find out if you have this washer as when fully compressed the cam wont locate. Once removed it's the same to adjust as before. Cheers Craig...........................
FollowupID: 320475

Reply By: crowie - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:43

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:43
Hugh

I had the adjustable Koni's fitted to my GQ at the softest setting. Probably nevercarried more that 250kg on a trip including passengers and found the ride and perfomance off road great. I suppose with more weight, corrigations and a long trip you might might need to steps up. I would start at the softest setting which how they come and it is firm anyway. I recon their designed to be adjusted as they wear so adjust them over time. They can also be rebuilt and are not throw aways. You can buy a kit.
AnswerID: 58977

Sponsored Links