Toyota Surfs

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 01, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 129 Views:2021 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am lookng around at the new toyota surfs. I know they are fully imported from Japan and basic knowledge but I would like to know if anyone has more info or inside knowlede on these vhicles.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Justin Burns - Saturday, Mar 24, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 24, 2001 at 01:00
I have an 89 surf you have to be very careful because in Japan they dont service them properly and i know of a lot that have had stuffed motors ie full of rust but other than that their a good unit
you can see mine at http://members.optushome.com.au/justinbu/offroad/index.htm
AnswerID: 299

Reply By: matt - Saturday, Mar 24, 2001 at 01:00

Saturday, Mar 24, 2001 at 01:00
Tim,
I looked into buying a Surf late last year & visited numerous dealers that imported & sold them. I found most of them to be in average condition, some of them in bad condition, and probably only 2 or 3 in good condition - and I looked at a lot! One thing that I was told that disturbed me, was that in Japan, after a certain amount of kms, theyre not allowed to drive them anymore, hence they export them. However, apparently it isnt unususal for them to disconnect the speedo cables at about 75000kms & reconnect them when the car is just about ready to give up. So you cant trust the kms totally. As in the first reply, servicing of the vehicles is few & far between apparently & minor crashes in Japan are frequent & covered up with slap happy repair jobs. I ended up buying a trusty 60 series landcruiser in the end and havent looked back. Thats not to say that you wont find a suitable Surf - be thorough with your research before buying. Happy hunting! Matt.
AnswerID: 301

Sponsored Links