Vehicle set-up

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 12, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1291 Views:1694 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just after any tips and info regarding the set-up of a 1993 HiLux Dual cab for a trip to Cape York
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: troy - Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00
Paul,

how long is a piece of string ?? could write volumes on your question. Need to know more info - how many people in your car ? is it stock standard now ? how long are you going for ? how much $$ do you want to spend ? which way are you going ?

AnswerID: 4157

Follow Up By: Paul Haddow - Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00
Troy,
My Hilux is a 1993 Diesel Dual Cab, 60mm over standard King springs,OME full set of greaseable shackles,Adjustable Koni shocks, 50mm body lift,32x11.5 Mud Terrains + 2 spares, Front Air Locker/ Compressor, 129L fuel tank, IPF lights,steel bars all round, dual batteries,UHF radio, Fibreglass canopy, snorkel, K&N air filter, Extractors/ 2 1/4in. exhaust. There will be just the two of us so I have pulled out the back bench seat and put in a steel tray with welded tie down points that uses the existing seat belt bolts that will hold the 40L 3-way fridge and a 60L icebox. I've just put in a new clutch, wheel bearings, radiator, hoses, belts, oils, diff breathers etc. We are leaving from the Gold Coast in July and plan to head up the East coast to Cairns and then on through the Daintree and Cooktown then across to Lakefield Nat. park and then up to Wiepa where we will most probably spend the next wet season before moving across the Northern Territory.There is no time limit but we can't really spend a lot more money unless it is absolutely essential. My main concern is water storage. We have three 20L water containers with taps which we plan to store in padded milk crates but I'm not sure whether this is the best way as there is no room left under the vehicle to put a water tank so I was thinking of something to go in the tray, what are your thoughts on this so far?
With Thanks
PAUL
FollowupID: 1827

Reply By: Tim - Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00

I am not real sure about dual cabs but in a normal wagon I find a false floor in the back to be so handy and practicle.
Tim
AnswerID: 4158

Reply By: Nigel - Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00

You'll need a UHF CB - I recommend the GME brand as it's more reliable.
A snorkel is a good option, even if only to reduce the amount of dust in your air filter. And a spare air filter may be worthwhile so you can put in a fresh one for the trip back.

If you shocks aren't new, then you might want to make them new. Spare shocks can be useful, but it depends on how leisurely your trip will be.

If your spare tyre is under the tray, then check it regularly as quiet a few rattle loose and are never seen again.

If your vehicle uses an inline fuel filter then I would replace it with a CAV or similar type with a water trap. It will reduce the problems you have if you get a batch of bad fuel. Also the cheaper filters that the CAV system use will easily pay back the initial $100 outlay. And you don't have to change the filter as often.

Buy a good guide book and enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 4171

Follow Up By: Paul Haddow - Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00

Nigel,
I have a full set of Koni adjustable shocks which are only around two years old with not much off road work. Did you have problems with your shocks? if so what happened?
FollowupID: 1831

Reply By: Nigel - Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00

I haven't had a problem with my shocks (OME Nitrochargers) but I know of vehicles with original or worn out shocks that just died on the corrugations. Your shocks would fall under the new category so you should have no problem (unless murphy strikes). The only guy I new of that had problems with aftermarket shocks was the idiot that fitted his Series 2000 shocks upside down (coz he knew best apparently).

Of course you could always be really unlucky and have a faulty shock, but I reckon you would have noticed that by now if it was gonna happen.
AnswerID: 4235

Sponsored Links