Canberra UHF Channel 19

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1292 Views:3127 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone in the Canberra region know anything about the recorded message that is transmitted at regular intervals (about every 20-30 minutes) on UHF Channel 19? It gives details of wind speeds and direction, temperature, etc. Who runs this service, who is it intended for and which area does the information relate to (i.e. where is the originating weather station)? Any information on this topic would be much appreciated....Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: michael squires - Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Jun 13, 2002 at 00:00
Bryce
A similar automated service is transmitted on Channel 19 or 20 ??? at Bright, Victoria for para and hang glider pilots and has been set up by people associated with the sport. The wind speed, direction, max. gust strength and I think temperature are transmitted every couple of minutes. Useful stuff if you are in the air, or about jump off the launch site. (I don't paraglide but there sure are some fun 4WD tracks to get to the hilltops to watch my friends leap into the blue yonder.)
Can't say anything authoritative about the Canberra service but it could be for a similar purpose.
Cheers. MikeS
AnswerID: 4155

Reply By: Hendo - Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 17, 2002 at 00:00
Bryce, Michael is correct, it is a recorded/computer generated message for hang gliders etc. I believe the transmitter is high in the Brinadabellas, which is why you can hear it, even though it is not a repeater. Probably more than a 5 watt transmitter too. Mystery solved!!
AnswerID: 4238

Sponsored Links