I sneaked in with the humans!

Submitted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 17:39
ThreadID: 12921 Views:1964 Replies:6 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Okay fella's......................... be very scared................... a SOFT ROADER HAS JOINED YOUR GROUP!!!!!!

Yep, a Honda HRV, although to look at it you wouldn't think so.......sort of looks like the Mars Rover or something from a Terminator Movie.

Before you all roll over & die, I do have a REAL 4 x 4.......it actually is my wifes........go figure......

A Mitsubishi 2.8 Turbo Delica Space Gear........but I love my little Honda, been to some awesome spots with it.

So, now that I have lowered the standard of the group........ let the banter begin!!!!!!

Cheers

Ian BEE

I is all leeeegal now ya hear!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 17:49

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 17:49
I can beat that, i have an Explorer !! Rerolpxe. lol

Baz.
AnswerID: 58815

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 17:54

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 17:54
And I can beat that as ive had my explorer longer than you Baz ,nah nah nah ;) :)
FollowupID: 320484

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:00

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:00
You know, i reckon all these men and women with Cruiser's and Patrol's wish they had an Explorer dont you, so come on fella's out of the closet, own up, you want one !! come on !!!!
FollowupID: 320485

Follow Up By: Ian Bee - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:01

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:01
Ah....Ha....... greetings from my co author!

My kids.20 & daughter 18 were NOT amused by our joint effort.

"Daaaaad......... it's got your real name on the screen!!!....... I don't want my friends finding out about this............."

"It's okay honey, I don't think 18 year old girls visit this forum often........"

"Aw but Daaaaaaad........ change your name or something........"

"No Rhiannan, you can change your when you get married and LEAVE HOME...... ( she costs me a fortune to run)."

"Muuuuuuum........Dad's being stupid again.........."

"Pour him another Bourbon dear, and he'll go to sleep........."

"Here Dad................."
FollowupID: 320486

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:10

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:10
Teenager's gota lovem, mine kust looked at me and said, your strange, the other half said, what the hells that it's backward i'm NOT reading that it's stupid, i wonder if George Lucus was teated like that. hahahahahaha.

Baz.

ps, it was fun though !!
FollowupID: 320487

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:12

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:12
If God took away my CRUISER and told me I had to mave a Explorer, I would give up the sport lol Sorry Baz , I know ya love your toy
FollowupID: 320488

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:13

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:13
Sorry about the spelling went on that million paws walk today, i'm knackered and the scotch is relaxing me.

Baz.
FollowupID: 320489

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:26

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:26
I have a Cruiser, but I'd take an Explorer if you were giving it away. Then I could give it away and keep my Cruiser LOL. Must say that the leather seats were nice though (in the one I took for spin recently) ...
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 320492

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 16:48

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 16:48
Loh and behold, I have yet to come across a track or trek that the FORD cannot do or go just as easily as an UNMODIFIED tojo or missin nissan , can all rave on about height ,depart,aproach,rampover ect,,,,just goes to show that the base tojo/nissan ect is /was not good enough in the 1st place.
FollowupID: 320587

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 17:00

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 17:00
Your on , tee it up . Next EO day out . Your Explorer & ill bring a standard Cruiser , 100 or 80 ? Whats the wager ?
FollowupID: 320589

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 17:46

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 17:46
Eric , the bet ,,, 1 doz 99 grange if your game.
FollowupID: 320601

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:44

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:44
OH , and by the way ,Eric , landcruiser mtn park now only use nissan as recovery vehicles ,why???? and all the snow fields are sponsored by and use ?????????? FORD EXPLORER ,,, take your self centering cruiser ideology and place in the centre of your being ,,being where your mother never kissed you.
FollowupID: 320621

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 13:07

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 13:07
hey undertaker...if you can afford to lose a dozen grange, you should have been able to afford buying a vehicle with a bit of class...like a Discovery ;)
FollowupID: 320709

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:59

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 18:59
No worries Ian, Honda's not a bad little machine ! Lot easier to park I'm sure. Just wondering whats the Delica like and what year is it - any probs with parts ?

Back to the EXPLORER - are they that bad - what actually goes wrong with them ?

Saw a write up on the new Ford Territory V's the Prado - not really fair but I was wondering if you made (modified) air scoop for the engine so that it was less prone to water intake and also heightened the suspenion a bit what it would be like ? Sounds like the computer drive system did not like wheels being off the ground ! Wondering if you could fit a diff lock on the rear without stuffing up the computer system. I had a drive - comfy, plenty of storage & also the 6-7th seats fit a 6ft person Ok - could not believe it; they also go well, drank a bit though. In all I wonder if you could take one of these to Cape York & go via the OTL with no bypasses ?????
AnswerID: 58826

Follow Up By: Ian Bee - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:15

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:15
Cheers........

Honda........well....... I can travel at 140 kmh on good roads, therefore I can rack up a lot of bitumen kilio's real quick if I want to. Let's face it, most of the place I go the ratio of bitumen to dirt is around 80 / 20, so I may as well be comfortable on the road.

Delica, well....... I havn't done anything in it at all. I am not that adventurous off road, can't really see the sense. Hey......if it's more than 300 metres from my car.......it's not photogenic!!

Delica just sort of come up at the right time. It's a 1995 Space Gear, Chrome Mags, Scorpion Tyres, really really DARK tinted windows ( drive around the Northern suburbs and the poor buggers probably think there's a drug bust going down! ).

We bought ours from a bloke who still imports these at 12 at a time. He wanted to keep this one for himself, but I won in the end.

I am sure it will do all I need it to do, but it's a bugger to park though....... bit long.

Cheers

ain BEE
FollowupID: 320499

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:19

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:19
I'll let you know next year !!!! 50mm lift and from Bourke to Tibooburra came over a rise and into a big sand hole at around 90k the trailer broke the car did'nt and i know the trailer left the ground i saw it !!!!

Baz.
FollowupID: 320500

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:42

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:42
Ian, i can understand why you bought the Honda, what a nice car, go well bloody comfortable and they do look good, if they are anything like their motorbikes it will be around for a long time to come. As for the Explorer they are comfortable, it's a compromise, off road it's OK on road it's great. Mine is the model that has 16in rims( ie) no Exploding problems that was the 15in rim models.

Baz.
FollowupID: 320501

Follow Up By: Ian Bee - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:52

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:52
Cheers Baz.....

Bought the Honda new 5 1/2 years ago. It's just the right size for one to go away in, which I do a lot of.

I like to be completely alone whilst doing a little photography.

I manage to get away about evey 3 - 4 weeks.

Honda is modified somewhat, all the add ons that you can & can't buy ( I own & run a Sheetmetal & Welding Workshop ).

Just fitted my SECOND set of King Coil Springs to the rear........standard was 12 mm then I went to 13 mm. now I am running 14 mm diameter.

Cheers

Ian BEE
FollowupID: 320502

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:36

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 19:36
Ian Bee,
If it was not for the Soft Roaders( read All wheel drive) vehicles I would have not worked this weekend.
Dont get me wrong, I love to teach drivers how to get the most out of their vehicles, and I am happy to see so many of the drivers learning how to get the most out of there All Wheel Drive vehicles.
The message that we were trying to get to these drivers is to know the limits of their vehicles and don't try to push it beyond it's limits. This message also applies to all types and makes of 4WDrives.
Enjoy your new addition and drive it to its limits and you should have a ball.

Wayne
AnswerID: 58834

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 20:28

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 20:28
Ian

Well what a turn up? About time we had some soft roaders on the forum. Something else to talk about, as we all get a bit sick of 3 litre Patrols and Toyota toys.

Must say I would not go so far as calling the Delica a real 4x4. But with your cars you will be able to do most of the major treks in this country seeing as there is very llttle real four wheel driving involved any longer. Only places like the Simpson, Canning, Central and Western Deserts tracks, High Country, and some Top End tracks might stop a soft roader.

So now we can enjoy the softer side of 4wd-ing and maybe someone will learn something from it........no pun intended :-)

Cheers
AnswerID: 58838

Follow Up By: Ian Bee - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 03:08

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 03:08
" most of the major treks in this country seeing as there is very llttle real four wheel driving involved any longer. Only places like the Simpson, Canning, Central and Western Deserts tracks, High Country, and some Top End tracks might stop a soft roader. "

That's sort of what I have figured as well.

Oh, by the way........ I've shelled out for my membership here as well. Perhaps I can post a small picture of my honda as my signature lol!!!

Cheers

Ian BEE
FollowupID: 320528

Reply By: Cruiser88 - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:02

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:02
The wife reckons there is alot to be said for the softies, she bought a subie and let me buy the 60 series so I would stop killing the family wagon. Apparently the kids don't like to walk after dad has broken it. Still gives her enough room to fit bales of hay three goats two dogs and a stray cat in the back, doesn't have to walk the creek or plough through the black soil with stillettos on after 2 spits of rain AND because she is bloody short doesn't need an extension ladder and multi stage side steps to climb into it. Mate you hook in and ENJOY THE TOY.

Cheers
AnswerID: 58854

Reply By: Bilbo - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 23:38

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 23:38
You lot think you've got problems! I've had Nissans for 15 years and always sung thier praises. But because Nissan can't or won't produce a 6 cyl diesel that can outdo a Toyota turbo diesel and because of a salary sacrifice deal at work AND because I want to pull a big caravan - I bought a TD 100 Toyota. My sons, who both own Nissan sports cars, have disowned me, won't talk to me, consider me failure in life and have threatened to change thier name!!

One can imagine what would happen if I bought a "soft roader". My life wouldn't be worth living!

AnswerID: 58866

Sponsored Links