GU PATROL 2.8

Submitted: Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 21:13
ThreadID: 12929 Views:5142 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
hi all,
just a question on my patrol. when starting the engine in the morning or after an amount of time, there is a plume of black smoke that pops out and chokes anyone who is near. i bought the patrol knowing it blew a little bit of smoke but it sort of annoys me now. i know diesels can blow the black stuff and that the injectors may be dirty, what else could it be? it's done 170,000k's at around 155,000 i took it to get serviced by a recommended diesel mechanic. he said he had in on the dyno and it looked fine but blew smoke even at high revs. i asked what he thought it could be . he then said it could be that the muffler may be blocking with soot and creating this problem. he also said that driving my car seemed slower than other 2.8 patrols he has seen. can that explain the muffler?and the smoke? getting a 2.5 inch new exhaust was mentioned. if the muffler is the smoke problem, then i would jump at replacing the exhaust. but how do they tell if needs to go? ....................................................that's one question out of the way,,, the second one is, i'm throwing an ic400pro icom uhf in my patrol . it has no detatchable face so it has to fit somewhere. the only place i can think of is next to my left leg up against the console does anyone have a radio there?? goin off west of moruya this weekend so any ideas would be appreciated. thanks alot jason.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 21:21

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 21:21
Very common problem with 2.8 is the injector pump . Also a build up of oil in your intercooler . I will be shocked if oil dosnt pour out of it when you take it off . Make sure you get it cleaned properly . If you are having problems starting when the vehhicle warms up , your injector pump is stuffed . i have replaiced around 5 so far , exacly the same simptoms .
AnswerID: 58843

Reply By: rolande- Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 21:43

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 21:43
Jason,
Will leave the smoky Patrol alone, can get into too much trouble! I gather you don't have an empty DIN slot in the dash, just below the radio. If not, look up "Department of the Interior", they make a dash pod which sits on top of the dash with velcro, trimmed to match the dash, which has room for 1 or 2 radios, looks very neat and best part is when you sell the vehicle you can remove and no drill holes left. Hope this helps.
Rolande
P.S. I put a replacement shim on the fuel pump from Motson's in Beudeasert, Queensland to help stating and it blows much less smoke on start-up than it used to, less unburnt fuel going out the pipe. No guarantees on this though, just my experience
Rolande
AnswerID: 58852

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:26

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 22:26
Hi Jason sounds to me like, at that mileage, the injector nozzles will be worn and letting to much fuel in, and certainly wouldnt be atomizing properly.
The problem is probably caused by some ware in several different places.
So I suggest have the pump checked out and serviced if needed, have your injectors o'hauled and reset, and go the 2 1/2 exhust and extractors for a free flowing system which will give an improvement on its own.
AnswerID: 58859

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 06:47

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 06:47
Pesty your new pic is that sky treck from memory is that on the way to the look out.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 320529

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 15:03

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 15:03
I agree with Pesty on Q1 & get a dash pod for Q2
FollowupID: 320576

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:21

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:21
Hi Eric, no I am about 50 m from the top of Mt Arden on Argadels Stn near Warrens Gorge, Flinders Ranges.
Just wish I was smart enough to change the resolution to make it a better picture.
FollowupID: 320632

Follow Up By: colin - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 21:16

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 21:16
Hi Pesty, so how do you fit extractors with a turbo. Col
FollowupID: 320648

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 23:22

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 23:22
Hi Jason,

I'd recommend that you review recent posts #12699 and #12748.

A search of the archives gives some common fixes. For me a new battery made a lot of difference. The injector pump is prone to wearing the timing piston assembly, which can be rectified by shimming the pre-load on the spring. This can be done in-situ as the cover is on the accessible side of the pump body. If you don't want to bother with shims, Motson's in QLD sell a modifed cover (with increased shim thickness built in). Minimal cost (~$50) and can be fitted by yourself. This seems to have fixed problem for a lot of people.

Injectors may well be a problem too, though would expect you would notice this at conditions other than start i.e. accels.

Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 58863

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 23:42

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 23:42
Hi Jason,

Sorry, but I just re-read and noticed comments that it does blow smoke under load/revs. A work colleague of mine just rebuilt his GU 2.8 (~ 210,000km - cracked head). Through work we have access to fuel system test bench. Test of injectors showed that they cracked at too low pressure (loss of spring preload) and spray not uniform. Fixed with shims and nozzle cleaning (actually I think he fitted new pintles as well).

Given the # of kms you've clocked up I'd think an injector service may be useful.

An interesting comment about the exhaust system. We are currently doing some Euro3 diesel particulate matter tests, and had problem with repeatability on baseline test. Problem was resolved after an extended wide-open-throttle run for ~ 1/2 hr on the dyno. Perhaps a good country run might help clear out any build-up.

Regards,
Hugh
FollowupID: 320523

Reply By: Cobra - Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 23:35

Sunday, May 16, 2004 at 23:35
I had a starting problem with mine (96k), mainly when it was hot. Had to wind it a couple of times then it would start with a cloud of black smoke. Replaced the starter battery a few weeks ago and problem solved.
As for the radio, I had a roof console but the cord hanging down annoyed me, so it was pulled out and a dash pod was installed. Great piece of kit, no holes and does not reduce vision
AnswerID: 58865

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 12:16

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 12:16
I've only owned 2 diesels but they have both blown smoke when starting, and every diesel I have seen blows smoke when starting, some worse than others, I just though it was normal!
My Smurf will create it's own smoke sheild when starting after doing a lot of city driving, once I've done some nice long runs you can hardly see the smoke. Just more incentive to get out there!! :-)
AnswerID: 58897

Sponsored Links