GOOD CAR ALARM

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2004 at 15:06
ThreadID: 12940 Views:2398 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there i would like to purchase a good car alarm for my 95 4runner i would like central locking at least 3 point immobilisation and automatic arming, i am constantly faced with expensive alarms that have heaps of bells and whistles like turbo timers automatic windows closers and other rubbish, does any body know of a good alarm (i dont mind paying good money) with the above features (at least) and a supplier in melbourne i can purchase it from.

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Gajm (VIC) - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 15:39

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 15:39
Hey there DaLUX,
I just wanted to give you some feedback on the alarm I have as I don't think it's terribly good, it is a Vision, and wasn't cheap. But it has given me a few niggly problems that I aren't too happy with. just every now and then it resets its settings to over ride the changes iv'e made (bleep on or off etc) and sometimes its worked in reverse. I pressed the button to unlock car and when I opened the door the alarm sounded. Plus a few other annoying things.

I got one for my wifes car at the same time, and the bloke had to replace the flashing LED a few times and also one of the remotes, so I wouldn't go with this make again
AnswerID: 58929

Reply By: Goona - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 16:31

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 16:31
Mate,

I have a Mongoose and to date has been excellent. Has all the bells and whistles such as automatic disable after 1 minute, all doors bonnet etc armed. turbo timer function arms after countdown but locks the car when buttion pressed, open quietly or with audable beep also will beep if some one comes within 2 feet of car(can be made to what ever distance you require) all in all a good unit.

Goona

AnswerID: 58931

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:18

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:18
I have had a desire to get a decent alarm for My Jack.. a local guy said Mongoose were the best & aparently there is even an add on option for perimeter security which is activated if it senses someone looking thru the windows and a recorded annnouncemnt is played saying " This Vehicle is under survelience... please step back"... I kid you not but it costs $500 odd so I will have to wait for a big pension increase before I get one.
AnswerID: 58948

Follow Up By: joc45 - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 23:37

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 23:37
Is that the one which says "You have violated the exclusion zone! Please stand back!" in an American accent?
must admit I chuckled at its repertoire...
Gerry
FollowupID: 320667

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:29

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:29
American Pit Bulls are good!
AnswerID: 58951

Reply By: lazylcd - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 23:59

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 23:59
i had a cobra car alarm fitted to my 90 mazda 626, remote entry, door locks etc, built in immobiliser, which even when the car was unlocked would still kick in after about 3 minutes, unless the car was started, it also had a panic alarm built into the remote, never had to use it luckly, installed for around $450 i think. i thought it was a pretty good unit.

lazy
AnswerID: 59019

Reply By: Troopie - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 13:16

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 13:16
Heya
Something to consider - and a comment on another alarm option.

Be wary of the automatic arming feature. When you are away camping you tend to hang around with the car unlocked and/or doors opened etc. I had an alarm with auto arming and it was never used.

Secondly - like an earlier comment I can review one alarm for you. I guess it's problems could have been due to installation - but it was installed by a large reputable dealer chain. Anyhow - I had a Black Widow alarm with remote central locking - and it was pretty poor. It would go off all by iteslf at least once or twice a week - often more. I was told it could be the impact sensor picking up wind - but this is not possible because it would often go off in the garage where there is no way the wind could have caused activation. It was looked at and I was told it was functioning properly.... In the end I had to turn it off it got that bad - there was a good story about thiungs like this - something to do with a wolf.... Anyhow - I've sold that truck now and am currently looking for something else to put in the new truck...

Cheers
AnswerID: 59066

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)