Snorkel ... Airtec versus Safari?

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2004 at 18:27
ThreadID: 12944 Views:4443 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to fit a snorkel to my Terrano 2 2.7 TDI diesel.
Does anybody have any opinion as to which of the above brands is the better.
I would appreciate opinions based on fact, rather than just pride of ownership!
The reason for my enquiry is that I was advised that the collector on the Airtec is inefficient, although their product is very well finished.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bear - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:21

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:21
Shaker
I am also doing the run around now trying to decide which one..
I did see the Airtec on a white 100 series and the unit was also painted white and it looked a treat. The owner stated that a local motor paint shop charged him $100 to match the vehicle colour and it looked great. I think well worth the $100

I was also told recently that the Airtec air intake position above the windscreen could suck or cop more water if you got a larger wave over the bow(bonnet).

This seems to be a hard task to fulfill but who knows.. I would have to say that from a "looks only" I would have to go the Airtec with the matching paint job???
And hope that I don't bury the front end in a creek...
Each to their own.

AnswerID: 58950

Reply By: smod - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:43

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:43
Not too sure about the terrano but I just went through a similar thing with my GU Patrol. Nissan supplied and fitted genuine snorkel for about 20 bucks more than ARB with a Safari. It ended up being more convenient going to Nissan even though I would prefer not to deal with the big companies.

smod.
AnswerID: 58958

Reply By: crowie - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:47

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 19:47
shaker

I think its a matter of looks best to you and not performance. They both collect air and their both well made. Take your pick. Price is the only other thing to take into consideration.
AnswerID: 58960

Reply By: hoyks - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 22:00

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 22:00
One thing is that generally the air scoop on the Airtec snorkels is fixed where Safari models can be reversed if you need to. I am going to fit a Safari one to my T2 when I get around to it. I was looking at the one for the 99 Courier. What one are you using?
AnswerID: 58999

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 22:44

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 22:44
Current series Mazda B2600 petrol, apparently fits with minor mod to the top mount. TJM Townsville have fitted a few & say that they also fit the guard extremely well. I have been quoted $600.00 fitted.
I think you put me on to TJM T/ville?
FollowupID: 320659

Reply By: GaryW - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 08:09

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 08:09
I am having the Safari one fitted to my LC100 - was going to go for the Airtec one but decided on the Safari on the recommendation of the installer (who could supply & fit either) He said the Safari one is much better engineered the Airtech unit in his oppinion didn't install as easily because there was variation between airtec units he had had to cut of daggy plastic and modify holes cut according to the templates etc.. - He just thought the Safari was a better unit - better sealing etc.. - He convinced me.

I also heard the Safari does a better job of getting rid of any water taken in - and it did allow to fit one of those fancy filters later.

Gaz
AnswerID: 59027

Sponsored Links