Jayco Swan up Cape York

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:06
ThreadID: 12948 Views:4979 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have a off road Jayco Swan camper. We have never taken it off road. Always used a tent if going some where rough. Last weekend we had to go off road (not planned) The Jayco went realy well. We landed ourselves in a situation I would have had second thoughts about with out the camper attached. A very steep rutted incline. The Jayco (to my releive got up not probs, complained on the enty and exit i.e. bottomed out badly) We could not go back we just had to go for it. Anyway my main thrust is we also had a lot of rough corugatted roads before we got to the steep bits. I expected to see the inside of the Jayco like a jig saw but not a loose bit to be found.

We are off up the cape in August. Had planned to tent it. Has anyone gone with a Jayco? If so how did it go ? Would you recommend we take ours or stick to the tent?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JC (VIC) - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:47

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:47
Liz,
will be interested in the response. We are awaiting delivery of an offroad Dove and plan to take it up the Cape in August.
The route we are taking I expect little more than lots of corrugations so have no hesitation taking a camper. Where it comes unstuck is (like you found out) big rutts or steep bits - especially if you have to back down!
JC
AnswerID: 58979

Follow Up By: Member - Liz- Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:56

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:56
JC,
The swan is a little bigger then the Dove so the Dove should be a bit better in the tight situations. Having said that the situation of last week end was tight and steep. As i said if I had my choice I would not have gone without the camperand it was 10.30 at night just to top it off. Hopefully we will get some good stories from the forum.
FollowupID: 320644

Reply By: tessa_51 - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 08:53

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 08:53
Hi Liz
We've had an Outback Eagle for three years and have given it a bit of a workout over that time. Have had some problems but really can't complain because we have also had the benefit of the comfort it provides. We've done Birdsville, Oodnadatta, Streszlecki Tracks, Merty Merty and plenty of other outback drives. Also done lots of the East Coast forestry trails. The Jayco has survived them all. You might like to consider these.
The outriggers ALWAYS fill up with mud when you get in the sticky going. It is really frustrating having to clean them out before you can set up camp. Have seen people have them removed and carry adjustable car stands.
The steps are the lowest and widest point of the camper. Consequently, when driving in tracks with high sides they cop a caning. Have had to bash mine back to somewhere near straight with a sledge hammer. Otherwise they won't open and you need a step ladder to get in and out of the camper.
I believe Jayco have now updated their suspension. But ours is a 2000 model and I have had to have the shock absorbers welded back on three times. The original setup just didn't like corrugations.Finally gave up and had a set of Pedders Trak Ryder shocks installed. I note you say your weekend experience had a "lot of rough corrugated roads" Did they amount to a thousand kilometres? It is the constant pounding which causes the problem, not an occasional stretch of corrugations.

We haven't done the gulf but from what I've been told I would have second thoughts about taking the Jayco up there. mainly because of its size and lack of manoeuvrability. Your Swan is even longer than my Eagle.

Hope this helps

Tessa
AnswerID: 59030

Follow Up By: tessa_51 - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 08:57

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 08:57
Sorry Liz
I forgot to say that we have never had any problems with the interior of the camper. I has always stuck together.

Tessa
FollowupID: 320677

Sponsored Links