isuzu ifs 'ball joint flip' comments

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2004 at 20:41
ThreadID: 12952 Views:4079 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all , have done the search but came up empty..

So i have been reading a bit on the electron transmission machine (puter) about people with isuzu vehicles in the usa ( rodeo and jackaroo aka trooper) lifting the torsion bar front end and then carrying out a 'ball joint flip'. Turning the balljoint upside down to alter the geometry of the front end. This seems to be done before the leap to the Calmini front end kit $$$. So has anyone over here in Aus carried out this mod, it is fairly simple to do and only takes a few hours plus a wheel alignment.
Is it worthwhile doing ?, any negative effects ?, i only intend to lift mine around 2 inch at best so i probably won't need to do this, but i want to know more...

FYI efs have a nice set of progressive rate rear springs and matched shocks for jacks that give 40-50mm lift. price is good too..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 09:07

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 09:07
I'm aware of one guy that intended installing balljoint spacers on his 2000 Trooper LS. I don't know if he did it in the end. This is his website. He also intended combining it with winding up T-bars and a body lift.

Thanks for the tip on the EFS setup. Have you installed it? I'm doing shocks this year sometime and maybe rear coils. Not sure which way to go. Rancho 9000, OME, TJM and Tough Dog are on the short list.
AnswerID: 59034

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:36

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:36
cheers Sav, that looks like a great site, i shall have to explore it further later on. I don't want to do a body lift because of the airbags, but the idea of the spacers sounds good. It depends on how far out the front end is after lifting, whether the shims can fix it or not..

I checked out all brands of the shocks on my travells, they are all made by third parties in either canada, mexico, or by monroe in adelaide.( i have not included koni / billstein as they are too pricey for me ) the efs is owned by carrols and is their premium line off road gear, the rear coils have a nice progressive wind, and are matched to longer stroke shocks. The only prob is the front shocks, to go with a nice fat body job, you have to forgo the steel stone guard, but you can run the rubber boots and fit the bolt on shields. Plus the efs had the best warranty of any of the ones i saw. And having used carrols springs in the past on road cars, i know their quality is good.
Thanks for the link, catch you later buddy.
FollowupID: 320687

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:48

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:48
Got a quote on EFS.

$550.40 incl GST for 4 shocks and $218.90 for the rear coils ... not bad
FollowupID: 320721

Reply By: Savvas - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:46

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:46
Here's a "how to do" on flipping the ball joint.

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/78

It's actually moving the ball joint assembly from the top side of the upper control arm and bolting it to the underside of the control arm instead.
AnswerID: 59054

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 14:35

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 14:35
looks like it is only good for pre 98 jobs. I shall have to have a good look at it on the weekend, could probably do the spacer thing though.

gold again buddy...
FollowupID: 320717

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:52

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:52
Flipping will work on your Jack. The 98+ comment is directed at rack and pinion steered Isuzu's, which the Jack ain't.

FollowupID: 320723

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 11:16

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 11:16
ah yes me no ready so goode.....

had another look and actually read the whole thing this time !!!!

Thanks budddy. RE the efs i think the warranty is 3/60 . pretty good.
FollowupID: 320861

Sponsored Links