New Landrovers.

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2004 at 22:35
ThreadID: 12959 Views:2783 Replies:13 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
I've just seen an ad on TV for the new Landrovers. It seems there's two styles available. One was being used by a soft looking type in a suit and the other by a rough type dressed as a "bushie". Is there anyone out there who has checked these out and could give an opinion on the pros and cons of each model? I know that the previous models have developed a poor reputation for reliability and letting fluids escape and dust enter etc. but I'm hoping that the new ones will be better. I think the company is German owned now so that should be a step in the right direction. It's a long time since British vehicles were at the forefront after all. I'd like to be able to check them for myself but won't be anywhere near a dealer till mid July. Thanks in advance if you're able to help!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Monday, May 17, 2004 at 22:44

Monday, May 17, 2004 at 22:44
Aandy.
Land Rover is owned by Ford, the new model is the first designed by ford so it will be intersesting to see if they are better or not, my hunch would be that they will be a lot like the explorer, sadly but I am happy to be proven wrong. Eric.
AnswerID: 59007

Follow Up By: Brian - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:45

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:45
The motor will be a 2.7 lV6 Jag Diesel!!!!

"Motive power comes from a choice of three engines and at least two will be offered in the Australian market. The biggest seller is expected to be the 219kW, 428Nm, 4.4-litre V8, a bigger-capacity version of Jaguar's 4.2. It will be mated to a six-speed auto. Jaguar's new 2.7-litre V6 turbo-diesel with 140kW and 442Nm will also be offered in Australia and badged TD V6 to distinguish it from the Range Rover's BMW-sourced in-line TD6" (From the Age)

Sounds interesting!!!!!

Brian
FollowupID: 320688

Follow Up By: Baldrick - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:29

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:29
The diesel is a Peugeot/Ford unit, the petrol V8 is a Jag/Ford motor, the V6 is out of the Ford Exploder.
FollowupID: 320781

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 15:24

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 15:24
The above was a direct Quote from "the Age"!!
However in saying that, Ford owns Jag so it could be that they are making the Donks from Ford/Peugeot Design ????? Who knows

Brian
FollowupID: 320906

Follow Up By: Eric Experience. - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 22:10

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 22:10
Brian.
I was thinking of drive trian and suspension not just motors, after all its the bits underneath that make a great 4x4. Eric.
FollowupID: 320979

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 00:12

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 00:12
I thought the new GU was ugly

http://www.landrover.com.au/
it will ask you to register, but I put in sedf sdf sfd for name and address and wejf@sfe.com for email addy... no spam that way, but yea UGLY, the rear looks like something they forgot to put on there.... an after thought, again from a PAJ!!!! OR is it a subaru ass?
AnswerID: 59022

Reply By: stevesub - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 07:55

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 07:55
Our 2001 V6 Freealnder is the most un-reliable vehicle that we have ever owned.

If you get a good one, you arte lucky, if you get a bad one, you are in for trouble big time.

I also have friends with Dscovery's and Rangies - all only 1 to 3 years old and they are having their troubles as well.

Mind you our 2000 78 Sreies Troopy has just cost us $3,000 when we developed a transmission problem a coupel of weeks ago - BUT that is the first problem that we have had in the 12 months that we have owned it

Stevesub
AnswerID: 59026

Follow Up By: Troopie - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:48

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:48
G'day Steve
We've swapped stories about camper Troopies on the TroopyOz list a few times - sorry to hear you had trouble with the truck... What went wrong? Mine is still going strong - taking it up the Canning in less than 6 weeks - have it well and truly set up now.....

Cheers
FollowupID: 320743

Follow Up By: stevesub - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:02

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:02
The shaft between the gearbox and transfer case had a sliding joint that stripped its gears. The replacemnt is single piece. Also had most gearbox/transfer case bearings replaced and a new heavy duty clutch fitted while everything was apart.

We were lucky that our Simpson Desert trip was canned by the wifes surgeon (she had just had major surgery). Otherwise guess where the problem would have happened, yep, right in the middle of the desert rather than 200m from our latest abode.

The Troopy had to be towed by the Landrover (great embarressment)

Stevesub
FollowupID: 320749

Follow Up By: Troopie - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:16

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:16
G'day Steve
Terribly sorry to hear that. Now that you mention it - I do remember the story about the LandRover having to tow the Troopie - but hadn't heard what had happened.

I just had to spend a chunk on my truck - nothing to do with the truck though. My Piranha dual battery system and two deep cycles all kicked the bucket together!!! There is some talk about it in the dual battery thread further down.

Anyhow - hope it holds up for you well now!

Cheers
FollowupID: 320753

Follow Up By: stevesub - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:23

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:23
Also forgot to add that the Landrover has just had a new starter motor/ solenoid - 3 weeks out of warrenty - another $440 plus a new battery for the Troopy plus insurance and rego for the landrover. The credit card is real sad now.
FollowupID: 320756

Follow Up By: Baldrick - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:28

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:28
Sheeesh. Only costs you $3000 per year in repairs, sounds like a great vehicle.
FollowupID: 320780

Reply By: DaLUX - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 08:46

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 08:46
i know a guy that works for a company that build special land rovers for the army he tells me they put isuzu motors similar to the rodeo motor in them before they give them to the army i'd take that as a sign that the donk aint that good!! also i wasnt aware that ford had anything to do with landrover...
AnswerID: 59028

Follow Up By: Brian - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:53

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:53
Ford has owned Land Rover for a Year or two now!!!!

The ADF has been putting 4BD1 Isuzu 3.9l Diesel in the 110 since the beginning! They are a great motor for what they use the 110 for, real 4wding!!!

Brian ex 110 owner
FollowupID: 320689

Reply By: MrBitchi - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 08:50

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 08:50
"a rough type dressed as a "bushie"
None other than Les Hiddins, the legendary Bush Tucker Man, probably Australia's most experienced "bushie".

BTW, did you notice the low profile highway tyres on the townies version? Worse than even Mitsubishi's Yokohama Geolanders me thinks....

John
AnswerID: 59029

Follow Up By: Aandy(WA) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 22:01

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 22:01
Well he may be an experienced TV performer anyhow .... but a bushman I doubt. Amazing how the media can convince people. Many people think Paul Hogan is an accomplished bushman from his films but in fact he rose to great heights in painting in our largest most cosmopolitan city before embarking on a career in media and entertainment. He's probably never been to the bush without a film crew and full catering!!! I think the same applies to Les. Remember Alby MAngels and his epic search for some black stallion? The climax came as the stallion appeared over a ridge. What wasn't shown was the horse float that brought the "rogue stallion" for it's grand entry into the film. Thus I refer to your "legendary" man as being dressed like a bushie.
FollowupID: 320815

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 07:53

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 07:53
Aandy,
Les was a Major in the Australian army. He made his name exploring the top end and developing bush survival skills for "NorForce", the unit that was patrolling our northern regions in the 80's, after a couple of tours in Vietnam. It was only at the end of his career that he became "The Bush Tucker Man" as part of a PR campaign by the Army.
As I said, probably Australia's most experienced bushie.

Your apolagies gracefully accepted..... :-))

John
FollowupID: 320842

Follow Up By: Aandy(WA) - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 09:15

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 09:15
I see MrBitchi, he's a career soldier, who developed a career in bush skills in retirement. True BUSHIES live in the BUSH all their lives. No army to help them (how many bush skills do you need if you're a major with Landrovers, cooks, portable toilets, unlimited guns and ammunition etc. etc) If you think he's a skilled bushman, then I guess you're happy. I KNOW that he is a skilled performer ... both as a Major in the Defence Forces or a TV presenter. He's a talented man, he's adventurous, innovative and creative and he has achieved a lot in his two careers - the Army and Entertainment. He has spent most of his life in the ARMY and the rest in the MEDIA. The true bushmen of this country have spent their lives in the BUSH. Go and meet a few mountain cattlemen or graziers or dairy farmers and you'll see what bushmen are like!!
FollowupID: 321023

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 10:26

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 10:26
Mate,
No need to get your knickers in a knot, your obviously not a fan of Les whereas I am. If you think for one minute that being major in the Army is all beer and skittles, you couldn't be further from the truth.
As for "The true bushmen of this country have spent their lives in the BUSH", I am both an ex serviceman and an (unfortunately) ex country boy and have seen good and bad examples from both. Living in the country all your life does not necessarily make you a good bushman. I've met some farmers you wouldn't call a "bushie" in a fit.

Have a nice day.......
John
FollowupID: 321034

Follow Up By: Aandy(WA) - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 20:01

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 20:01
But surely you must agree that to be a bushie you have to live in the bush. I don't for a moment suggest that all people who live in the bush are good bushmen BUT you can't really claim to be a bushman if you don't live in the bush .... no more than a boy from the bush can claim to be a YUPPY (Young Urban Professional). Urban dwellers can certainly go to the bush and develop the skills needed but they are not bushies. They are urban or city dwellers who visit the bush and that's fine! Same goes for the bushmen who visit cities (only if they can't avoid it usually). They're not "City slickers" and wouldn't even pretend to be. People like Les do a good service to the community. They are good communicators and as there is a lot of money to be made from successful media work I can understand them doing what they do, BUT you must remember that the footage they shoot is all carefully planned and the result of many hours work both by the star of the show and many many people who form their back up team. They have script writers, researchers, caterers, roadies, lighting experts, make up people etc etc and the result is a "bushie" demonstrating bushman's skills in a nice tight one hour or half hour production for national TV. Try talking to a real Australian bushman and you might find he takes half an hour to get off his horse, find a stick and draw a map or diagram in the dirt before he even starts to talk LOL. I'm not criticising Les and I have no problem with you thinking he is great. My point is simply that he appears to be a very good media performer and as such he is light years away from the true Australian bushman. By the way the people on Blue Heelers are only actors too - they're not real policemen and women. I'm only teasing!! I've checked the TV program guide and can't find his show by the way.
FollowupID: 321113

Follow Up By: Aandy(WA) - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 20:15

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 20:15
Mr B sorry I didn't address one of your points. I don't think for one moment that being a Major in the Army is all beer and skittles. It is a high rank and requires many skills including leadership, motivation, and most of all highly developed communication skills. To reach the rank of major a person must be the type of person who others admire and respect. Have you noticed how well the heads of many organisations, including the defence forces, can handle the media. Try putting an Australian bushman in front of a camera and asking him to do a thirty minute take on his skills! Les is a skilled and convincing media performer! He appears to be very good at his job and I look forward to seeing his presentations some time.
FollowupID: 321118

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 07:49

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 07:49
You'll only get the occasional re-runs now as the Bush Tucker Man series was completed quite a few years back.
Les is currently involved in the Pandanus Park project, trying to establish a sanctuary for Vietnam Vets in FNQ.

http://veteransanctuary.tripod.com/index.htm

You may find it interesting to do a little research on the man.
John
FollowupID: 321153

Reply By: cjd00b - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 09:40

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 09:40
The ad on tv was for the current model Disco, not the new ones (which I believe are not due until September or so). I would think that coming up to that date you should be able to get some pretty good deals as they run them out - could be tempting.

As for the reliability of Discos, I think there is a bit of a myth re their reliability - sure they may not be the most perfect vehicle but I don't think they are as bad as some people make out. I know plenty of happy owners and we oursleves own a 1996 Disco and love it - great vehicle off road and comfortable for our needs on road. We have taken it around Australia and recently took it on Fraser Island (again). With the exception of Bilsten gas shockers it is pretty standard - The highlight of our trip to Fraser was helping a current model Prado out of soft sand! Sure it has its little quirks - (including dropping oil - which has since been fixed and has not done it for some time). The only complaint I would have is the rotten fuel 'economy' from the V8.

As for the Land Rovers used by the army, these are quite a different beast to the ones sold publicly and can't really be compared.
AnswerID: 59039

Reply By: StephenF - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 09:46

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 09:46
The "town" and "country" models are runouts of the current model, not the new one. See the Land Rover Australia site for more info. The "poor reputation" was largely due to the Series 1, not the Series 2 which has been around for about five years. Anyway, I think the Patrol 3-litre TD has more question marks over it than any Landy ever had.

Stephen.
AnswerID: 59041

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:43

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:43
Stephen,
I just drove my new (second one for me) DII to Broome across the desert, going a long way off the beaten track. I wouldn't have taken it if I hadn't been confident about the vehicle's reliability. It gave no trouble at all, and was universally considered to be more comfortable and at least as capable, and vastly more economical than the 'rubber bladed grader' that accompanied us. Mind you, it would take more than anecdotes like this to undo the prejudice against Landies in some quarters.
FollowupID: 320740

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:32

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 10:32
I don't know about anyone else here but there is a lot of bagging about the reliability of certain makes of 4x4s, ie not cruiser or patrols, i think if you do an archive search, cruiser and patrol will come up just as many times as other so called unreliable 4x4s with faults, aspecialy a certain model patrol. It is my opinion that over the years you'll find that it is all pretty even, some years in all cars there is a bad model, after all there is that human factor. Just MHO.

Baz.
AnswerID: 59050

Follow Up By: Aandy(WA) - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 09:26

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 09:26
Baz there's one major flaw in your observation. A search may reveal the same number of problems. What you need is the number of flaws per vehicle. There are very few of the make renowned for problems compared to the other two. This is largely because of their poor performance. I alone have three acquaintances who had the unreliable make but in recent years have moved to the treliable ones. I have been told by friends in the automative industry that the new vehicle fault rate (during warranty period) for Landrover is 4 times that of Toyota. We won't mention the 3l.TD of another make though!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 321025

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 11:05

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 11:05
They are just doing the common practice of optioning up old body styles to keep sales up toward the end of the model run . BUT they are putting a finger in both pies, on road shopping trolley, and off road tourer. The slick dude is Mikey Robbins, the bushie is of course Les.
Clever marketing ploy..
AnswerID: 59056

Reply By: Dean - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 12:55

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 12:55
Why are they throwing in a set off water proof seat covers for the bush version? Is this a new problem!

Dean

AnswerID: 59063

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:36

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:36
Dean,
being waterproof they are intended to prevent faecal staining of the cloth seat fabric.
FollowupID: 320737

Follow Up By: thomo - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:56

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 16:56
Water leaks.
FollowupID: 320745

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 13:42

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 13:42
What an excellent idea having a Town and Country version. Most of us have to buy different wheels/tyres etc. At least if some o0f the basic changes were optional it would save considerable cost. I always thought Pajero for instance should have been available in a rural form with all terrain tyres, lift, bar etc
AnswerID: 59072

Reply By: gyprock - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 00:21

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 00:21
Man have you got a great view of the world,
Firstly you question a man who undertook two active tours of vietnam(a little bit bushy,,,and bullets just to spice it up), A man who, when in Australia, has probably spent more time in the actual bush than most of us could ever dream about... living in a house or on a station, located in a more remote part of the country doesnt even compare to where Les has his time. He spent large amounts of time living in tents in the tropics, or with Aboriginals out in the sticks, He developed many of the survival techniques for the ARMY today and gained the respect and admiration of many of your so called bushies doing it(who would probably be embarressed by your comments) . And hold on to your hat he done it all in Landrovers,,,fancy that. Have you ever wondered why many counties, including some units of the Japenese Army use Landrovers when it really counts and the Jap fleet 4WD's for general duties (shopping etc etc)
And as for your understanding of LR reliabilty????? Well while I respect the opinions of your friends, of a friends brothers, friend..... Sadly if you take a look on the internet and research the ratings in most countries for vehicle reliability, you will find that The LR of the last 10YRS have proved as reliable as most the others... and shock horrer,,, more reliable than the holy grail Landcruiser in most European counties.
And before you waffle on about not built for Australian conditions,, Smell the roses,,,, That is the same claim made by most countries when defending there own vehicles, and I bet you dont even think of the Toyota 4WDs as imports. . Australia does not have the monopoly on harsh conditions when you are speaking about 4WD's. Infact for where most of our 4WD's spend most of there time, we would have more bitumen than most countries. I own a LR and drive Jap 4WDS at work(Cape york/military) I actually like all of the vehicles in there own way, just choice to own a LR.
So yes while footballs, meat pies, kangaroos, and holden cars(and Toyota bloody Landcruisers) are Aussie icons,, please dont make big statements about REAL men making adverts about REAL 4WD's.
the irony is, you have probably formed your opinions about the fabled reliability of some Jap 4WD's because of the massive amounts of money spent over the years by the Japs on advertising,,,,and you cant comprehend that LR have finally figured out that there a huge portions of the population that will believe anything if you tell them often enough,, hence their more obvious advertising in Australia in recent years.

CHEERS

AnswerID: 61782

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 09:14

Saturday, Jun 05, 2004 at 09:14
Based on your comments in subsequent replies, you seem to have formed some very negative opinions of a man who is very well respected in this country and overseas for his bush survival skills. May I ask your own background and skills as a bushie? Perhaps if you inform others on this forum of your knowledge of the topic, your comments may have some relevance. I note you won't be near a dealer until mid July, so perhaps you do live out in the boonies. Perhaps when next in town you'll take the advice of others and do a little research on Les Hiddins before making such bold statements.

I don't know you, but reading between the lines I have no doubt in my mind as to whom I would rather have with me if stuck in a tough situation in the middle of nowhere.

Hugh
AnswerID: 61808

Sponsored Links