Kingsford Smith Mail Run

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 15:43
ThreadID: 129600 Views:1759 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We intend to follow this route back from Quobba Station, But have no idea of what it's like.

Does anyone have any info on how remote it is and what the roads are like?
Also some ideas for free camps along the way would be nice.
We have a Dmax 4x4 along with an off road camper trailer.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 15:54

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 15:54
Hi Evaredy I've only travelled over sections of the route and in the main the roads were well graded gravel roads.Free camping is available all over the place and there are a number of abandoned outstations. Also at one of the renovated wells there is a huge camping area behind it. It's just a case of being respectful of the property owners rights and mindful of where you are and where the roaming cattle are watering. We generally found a nice spot to camp every night without problems.

Cheers

Duncan
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 588119

Reply By: evaredy - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 18:57

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 18:57
I just worry about camping in the wrong spot and don't want to upset any land owners.
I guess once we are on the road we will soon see somewhere to camp.
From the research I have done it seems as thought the roads are quite good gravel.
AnswerID: 588132

Reply By: sub - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 23:09

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 23:09
hi evaredy,we have just come back from 10 days away Perth ,Coalseam,1 night free camping along Beringarra Pindar road,1 night free camping on Dalgety downs Landor rd 2 nights at Mt Augustus one night at Kennedy range then Carnarvon, kalbarri ,Leeman then home.lots of driving but all dirt roads in great condition.Will definitely change if they have any rain .we had about 5 mm in Kennedy Range and turns to mud really quick.
lots of water in the rivers so wildflowers should be looking good.
beware of the midgees/sandflies,they dont usually like me but i got eaten alive second day away and have only just stopped itching
AnswerID: 588151

Follow Up By: evaredy - Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 13:01

Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 13:01
Awesome, thanks for the info, lots of places to camp :)
FollowupID: 856243

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 22:26

Friday, Jul 31, 2015 at 22:26
Hi evaready. I have replied to the same question on another forum. If this was not you, please let me know. Be aware that the recent rainfall has cause closure or cautions on some roads in the area.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 588193

Sponsored Links