Marree to Coward Springs to Roxby Downs

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 02, 2015 at 18:59
ThreadID: 129632 Views:1991 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Thanks for the replies.Trip now on hold-17 k north of Pinnaroo, the drawbar shattered on the van,&we came to a screeching halt. - Metal fatigue.6 hrs later, tow truck toMurray Bridge- midnite.Dozens stopped 2 offer help, support or a look.At the moment, thank heavens for insurance.Will report the final result-sometime!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Danna - Sunday, Aug 02, 2015 at 20:18

Sunday, Aug 02, 2015 at 20:18
Hi Alan
Wow, and that's only going a bit of Oodna, you should perhaps check thoroughly, & re-look twice the rest of it....LOL.
HooRoo Dana
AnswerID: 588231

Follow Up By: Member - alan m6 - Sunday, Aug 02, 2015 at 20:26

Sunday, Aug 02, 2015 at 20:26
Oh no!we only left Donald on Tues!!At Pink Lakes for 2 days-NOW that is AWESSOME!!!. We havent gone ANYWHERE- yet!!
FollowupID: 856290

Follow Up By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 07:18

Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 07:18
Better Pinaroo than somewhere north of Maree

Mark
FollowupID: 856295

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Aug 04, 2015 at 15:19

Tuesday, Aug 04, 2015 at 15:19
A very substantial inspection of ALL structural sections of the van should be performed before ever going away, especially if the territory will be rough roads.
The fatigue cannot have happened suddenly and signs of something would have been evident beforehand, I would imagine.

Either the tow vehicle is hard sprung, there is no give anywhere to absorb road shocks and or the caravan chassis as just too light for the purpose. Maybe a shock absorbing hitch would be nice.

Does the tow vehicle get anywhere near bottoming of it's rear suspension at any time? If so the sudden stop will cause immense forces for the caravan chassis to have to cope with. Failure may result. Compliant suspension on the tow vehicle, ie, lots of travel of the wheels upwards is a great thing to have.
Something is drastically wrong somewhere for that failure to happen.
FollowupID: 856636

Follow Up By: Member - alan m6 - Tuesday, Aug 04, 2015 at 16:08

Tuesday, Aug 04, 2015 at 16:08
Thanks Ross for the input.The van was very recently serviced &checked for any faults, by a well known caravan outfit in Bendigo.I have 4 near new a/t tyres.The suspension on the car was checked recently by a Ford dealer.(The tow vehicle is a Ford RTV ute) .I also have added air bags to the tow vehicle to keep it level when under load.Haymen Reece shock absorbing system has been fitted for several years.We have done considerable dirt road driving, with no hint of any concerns.However, the bitumen roads around Donald are APPALLING! I am not deterred, but will be more vigilant.
FollowupID: 856642

Sponsored Links