Best place in Broome to buy supplies

Submitted: Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 06:48
ThreadID: 129634 Views:2574 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

We will arrive to Broome by plane, then rent a 4wd car and go for Gibb River Road and Purnululu. Could anyone advise on the best place in Broome to buy all the food supplies + some basic camping gear, such as gas for stoves, and pillows? Would be great if all could be found in one big store.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions,
Ania
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 08:30

Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 08:30
Hi Ania

Broome is a large regional centre and is well catered for with every conceivable shop. There will be absolutely no problem with obtaining supplies from several different shops. There is a very larger shopping centre complex just North of the airport which will cater for your every need.

So don't stress about where to shop when you arrive as Broome is easy to navigate around and you cant miss where to source supplies with a great selection of outlets.

Just a word of caution about care hire as you stated the Gibb River road as a destination. You need to ensure your vehicle selection (and therefore tyres that are on it) are suitable and the hire company agrees with you travelling the Gibb with that vehicle. The reason I state this is that some of the "soft roaders" or lighter weight SUV do not have suitable tyres for the Gibb River Road as some sections are stony and sharp and can soon rip the odd tyre. Subject to the condition of sections of the road under body clearance may also cause an issue if using a soft roader as well.

Just be open with your hire company and ensure you have selected the right vehicle.

I am guessing you are perhaps an overseas or interstate traveller?. Either way enjoy that great country and the drive, don't rush and take your time if you that luxury.

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 588238

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 09:23

Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 09:23
Hi Ania ,yes make sure you check with your hire company ,that it is ok to do the Gibb River Road ,as I asked last year and they did not hire to do that road ,if they did there would be a hefty premium ,.
Best of luck
AnswerID: 588240

Reply By: CSeaJay - Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 09:29

Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 09:29
Ania
Goof advice above, I trust your original question has been answered.
Not knowing your experience levels, allow me to highlight common problems with hire cars. When we did the GRR, we helped many people, and without exception all were hire company cars.
The problems all related to very basic tire and tools: Some had no tool to wind down the spare. Some had no jack, one had no wheel nut spanner, one (cannot believe) had an incorrect sized spare. Many had worn tyres. Not one had a pump.
You see the pattern above, please be aware and forarmed.
CJ
AnswerID: 588241

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 09:39

Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 09:39
Edit Goof shoud read Good
FollowupID: 856298

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 12:05

Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 12:05
Re the camping spares.
There is a large camping shop that is well stocked on the Cable Bay road into town on the corner of the main road that goes past the Woolies shopping centre. they are agents for Engel, and hold caravan spares as well as camping gear.

There are Woolies and Coles near town.

There is a butcher in the south industrial area who vacuum packs meat.

Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 588246

Follow Up By: 865 - Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 11:05

Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 11:05
The camping shop is known as the million Dollar shop by the tourist because of their prices
FollowupID: 856816

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 14:57

Monday, Aug 03, 2015 at 14:57
There is a supermarket (and friendly caravan park) in Derby too.
And a store with basic supplies at Mount Barnett, but it will be more expensive.
Enjoy!

Cheers,
Peter
OKA106 Motorhome
AnswerID: 588810

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 17:50

Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 17:50
Here is your trip from the airport to the shops - link
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message