Accommodation in Mitchell QLD

Submitted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 09:44
ThreadID: 12964 Views:3799 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

Sorry about the second post, but I thought the question should be asked separately. We met someone who told us that you used to be able to camp at Mitchell for free, and that they had hot springs to swim in (piped artesian water I gather). Does anyone know if this is still the case? If you've been there, is it worth a visit?
Thanks
Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 11:12

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 11:12
Mitchell Shire estabished the Caravan Park some years ago. Recently(in last 5 years) they have built self contained shower/toilet units as well. The first two nights are free in the CP including the self contained units. You cannot book. It is first come first serve and take your pick. There is also a private CP in Mitchell.

A short walk across the river brings you to the Hot Springs which is a fully developed swimming bath and it is very, very therapeutic. Used to be $5? to enter as I recall. Not very much for the absolute enjoyment of it all.

It is definitely worth the visit.

Cheers
AnswerID: 59057

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 13:50

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 13:50
Only problem we found a couple of years ago was the continuous noise of trucks rattling over the bridge. Kept us awake well into the night....
John
FollowupID: 320713

Reply By: gerry - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:19

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:19
Anne:
Stayed at MAJOR MITCHELL CP only three weeks ago, and the system has changed because people were abusing the "2 nights free", by staying 2 nights free, then one night at the weir or river and back again for 2 more free nights.
Since Easter the new system is a three day package for the cost of one night (so you still get 2 nights free) but included is unlimited use of the hot artesian spa( a saving of $5.50 per person ea ch entry), thus on our stay we used the spa twice daily, and for three of us we saved $33.oo per day. The new system lets you book ahead also.
The hot artesian spa is really great, so are their banana splits (a huge banana and FOUR scoops of ice cream for $3.50), and we agree about getting back from the highway....the road trains are very noisy (particularly the first night...from then we just had a couple of extra ports and slept like babies).
Enjoy your stay, we did, and we will go back.
Regards Gerry
AnswerID: 59085

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 18:11

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 18:11
Thanks for the updated info Gerry. Those Banana Splits sound mouthwatering!!

Cheers
FollowupID: 320764

Reply By: Member - Anne - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 10:31

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 10:31
Hey thaniks for the info guys. Trust people on the forum to have up to date information. I'm looking forward to the artesian spa AND the banana split!
Anne
AnswerID: 59226

Sponsored Links