Western 4wd Goldfields trip 3

Submitted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 09:52
ThreadID: 12965 Views:1839 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all we did trip3 out of the western 4wdriver goldfields book over the weekend (Thomas Davidson tour) if you are looking for a good little trip out of Perth try it (just east of Southern Cross) there are a couple of areas that will take a bit of work to find the next section of the track but you get there in the end , also if you dont like scratches on the 4x4 dont do this one , there are plenty of good campsites all along the track and heaps of things to see along the way . I will load the track onto the plot points file when I clean it up a bit
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:32

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 15:32
Might as well post a "well done" here, thanks for the weekend Peter, very enjoyable for all!
AnswerID: 59089

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:00

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:00
Hi Jeff hope you are all dryed out , we never got back to York until 7.00pm found some great areas to have a look at later on also got more rain and mud so a big clean up ,the mirror cost me $250 to replace and that was 2nd hand, who said Nissians were cheap for parts ? hope to see you both on the next trip will let you know details later on
FollowupID: 320746

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:11

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:11
That's bloody rude, $250 bucks!?! Bugger eh.
I can't see how they can possibly justify that amount of money for some plastic and glass.
Oh well, all I can say is I'm glad you were in front!! :-P
I'm looking at the secuirty cameras now and the surf looks like it's all rusty cos of all the red mud all over it!
It's a shame we had to jet it home early, but as it was by the time I dropped trent home and headed for my home it was 6:15pm. The traffic was terrible coming back through the hills into Sawyers.
Havn't had a chance to clean it all up yet, be a job for the weekend I think...
Let us know about the next one, you guys were great fun.
PS Tent and tarps and Rack sack are still drying! LOL.

FollowupID: 320751

Follow Up By: uppy - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 10:49

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 10:49
Hi Pete , Thanks for EVERYTHING,you and Janet did for us uppys,we really enjoyed the trip. I didnt have school on Monday so i cleaned the school bus. Let us know when the next trip is happening.The boys want me to put the flag up, but I said that is only happening when we go camping with Pete. All the gear is still drying,Thanks again
regards uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 320856

Reply By: Davoe - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:24

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:24
just been having my own 4wd in the goldfields experience for the last week then bock out again for the next 2 weeks area covered was in the top left hand corner of the klgoorlie 250k mapsheet access in was via ora banda - siberia - daveyhurst then along yowie rocks road past yowie rocks and currara soak then along unmarked tracks following the ridge that runs ne/sw (terrific views all the way to mt jackson) unfortunatly (fortunatly?) the access is strictly work vehicle territory as the tracks followed were very old and barely visible with the bullbar being continually tested by the jam bushes growing in the middle of the track and touch wood no punctures so far (12 ply rag tyres) - no tourists out there actually no on e at all
AnswerID: 59110

Follow Up By: Rod W - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 09:20

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 09:20
Davoe,
The ridge with the views... ya talking about the Helena Aroura Range and Bungalbin Hill ? Terrific country eh.
FollowupID: 320850

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 10:04

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 10:04
Davoe , did you record the track ? would love a copy if you did
phewitson@westnet.com.au we were old that way last year and found some great bush tracks , went up the Helena and Aroura ranges fantastic views , see my trip plot on this site (Mt Jackson) Thanks
FollowupID: 320852

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 11:52

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 11:52
didnt record the track because I only have a etrex it was not just one track but a few we used including some we made I could not recomend taking the tracks we did except for yowie rocks road even this was quite overgrown in places the rest of the tracks comprised of abandoned exploration tracks which were hard to follow and we had to stop and find them again often. they were severly overgrown with little discernable difference between the rest of the bush and the cruiser was usd as a bulldozer to knock the jam bushes and small eucalypts that had reclainmed the tracks to retrace involved driving back over stakes that were now pointing at 45deg towards us so 12 ply rags were a must
the area we were covering was about 40-50k north east of the aurora ranges and you ould see them from the top of the ridge which had a highest point of 529m
FollowupID: 320866

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 15:03

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 15:03
Thanks for the update Peter. Hubby and I have poured over the Western Goldfields book and like the look of every single trip. We're hoping to be able to do most of them over the next couple of years starting with the Southern Cross ones first. Easter 2003 we did the Holland Track and Cave Hill Woodlines which were terrific. Then we headed up north of Kalg. to check out many of the old ghost towns up that way. We're both history buffs, so combine this aspect with some excellent bush camping and interesting 4Wdriving and what more can you ask for!

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 59269

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 15:42

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 15:42
Hi melissa as you mentioned peak charles recently and dunns track I did a post on what i found at easter didnt have long as it was only a stopover you may not have seen the post so if you are interested do a search using peak charles or melissa
FollowupID: 320910

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 11:18

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 11:18
Hi Davoe,

I didn't see your post as I haven't had much time to log on recently. Just searched through the archives for both Peak Charles and Dunn's Track but not getting any results returned. Seems very odd...

:o) Melissa
FollowupID: 321041

Follow Up By: Davoe - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 14:39

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 14:39
yea i couldnt even find my own post must be a glitch
FollowupID: 321199

Follow Up By: Davoe - Friday, May 21, 2004 at 14:43

Friday, May 21, 2004 at 14:43
try peak charles/ topic and body and archive - not both
FollowupID: 321200

Reply By: brianm - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 19:15

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 19:15
Hi Peter.
I did trip2 the roly dimer tour at the end of Dec. Like your trip a couple places were hard to keep on track. I loaded the wpt,s in the gps and used the moving map in
oziexplorer to see which direction to head. This was my first attempt too do
something like this by myself.I now feel confident to do more trips There was a lot to see and do, We even found some
gold at Jaurdi.but no Yabbies in the dam, from there we headed to Hyden and
looked the site of Vengeance aircraft wreak along the way. I am now reading a book about
the Aircraft, Search,and the Aircrew.
Brian
AnswerID: 59303

Reply By: brianm - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 19:45

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 19:45
Hi Peter.
I did trip2 The Roly Dimer tour at the end of Dec. This was my first attempt to do something like this by my self. Like your trip a couple of places were hard to keep on track. I loaded the wpt,s in the gps and used moving map in oziexplorer to head in right direction. there was a lot to see and do. We even found some gold at
Jaurdi, but no Yabbies in the Dam. From Jaurdi we headed to Hyden and looked at
the site of Vengeance plane wreak. I am now reading a book on the search for
this plane and crew
Brian
AnswerID: 59310

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 09:47

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 09:47
Hi Brianm , this trip was my first go at using Moving maps also was really pleased with it , one small problem I did find is having too many WPTs marked on a small area you lost the pointer behind the labels a lesson learnt for later on .
FollowupID: 321027

Sponsored Links