Lakefield NP Still Closed

Submitted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 13:07
ThreadID: 12970 Views:1404 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just saw on the Queensland government (EPA) website that Lakefield NP will remained closed until further notice due to the extended wet. Anyone up there have a idea when it might be opened to through traffic?
Cheers
Pete
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Troopster - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:53

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 17:53
Pete
I spoke to the ranger at Lakefield last Thursday the park is open as far as Kennedy's Bend which is below the ranger station. The authority to open the park comes from Cooktown Council only on recommendations from the rangers. They said to me that they anticipate two weeks time from last Thursday. Depends on the weather. The ranger was adamant they would not open until they thought is was dry enough so as to protect the park.

A ranger from Cooktown is heading up to Cape Melville this friday to see if he can get through or not. We are heading up this way leaving Cooktown on the 14th June. The ranger again anticipates this park will be open by then but no guarantees. Suppose the weather thing again.

Have fun which ever way you go.

Geoff.
AnswerID: 59118

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 08:36

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 08:36
Thanks Geoff- looks like it will be well and truly opened by the time I get there in July.
Cheers
Pete
FollowupID: 320846

Sponsored Links