Mitsubushi Challenger - 4wd indication lamp flashing

Submitted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 18:23
ThreadID: 12985 Views:9643 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Wonder if any of you boffins out there can help me.

I have just picked up my 99 Challenger from a supposedly respectable local mechanical franchise after having a service completed, and found that the 4wd indication lamp is flashing while 2High is selected. (ie normal driving mode)
The manual does not make any reference to this problem.

I suspect that the celica-driving mechanic has selected 4wd during the test drive and that I may have some diff lock-up, yet driving in reverse and shifting the selector back and forth whilst driving has not resolved the problem...

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

DP
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tdcockers - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 20:08

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 20:08
i cant help for sure, but i know a mate had that problem with his 94 pajero, too. i think in that case the light was supposed to flash when the hubs were locked, but even after they werent locked it still flashed.

but i dont think the challenger has manual locks, does it?

anyway, dont quote me on it, but that is the closest i have come to seeing that problem
AnswerID: 59145

Follow Up By: DP - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 20:21

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 20:21
thanks tdcockers.

the light is meant to be solid (lit) when 4wd is engaged, and not seen at all when not engaged.

the challenger has shift on the fly 4wd actuation so no hubs to lock.

DP
FollowupID: 320787

Follow Up By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 08:06

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 08:06
DP, the Ford has a similar system you can go from Auto to high4wd at any speed Auto means normal or 2wd in your case, with the Ford if the light is flashing it needs to be looked at.

Baz.
FollowupID: 320844

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 22:27

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 22:27
DP.
the important thing is to establish if it is in fwd, to do this just jack up one front wheel and spin it. If thats ok unplug the switch on the transfercase and then the switch on the side of the front diff to find out which switch is out of adjustment. Good luck Eric.
AnswerID: 59185

Reply By: Bitsumishin - Mike A (WA) - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 08:55

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 08:55
DP, my Challengers had this problem for over a year now. You can easily tell if your car is still in 4x4 simply by the handling & I suspect it is not. I took mine to Mitsubishi and they told me that it is a faulty (solenoid I think) & that it would cost a little over $200- to fix. I asked him what the consequences of not fixing it were and he said that maybe one day it would either not go into 4x4 or perhaps not come out of 4x4 but that the major problem is that the light will keep flashing. So I was faced with the tough call, do I pay $236- to have it fixed now or put a tiny bit of electrical tape over the light & maybe fork out the $200- odd further down the track if it fouls up. Easy call really except I never got 'round to putting the tape on. Now the only time I notice it is if someone asks me how come the light flashes. If you bought your from a dealer and its under warranty, I'd get them to fix it just to be safe.
AnswerID: 59217

Follow Up By: DP - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 17:52

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 17:52
Thanks to all for your advice. my neighbours think I'm crazy driving the car in reverse up and down the street all last night!

I returned the car to the mechanic this morning with a simple request... "please fix!"

upon returning this afternoon the monkey that juggles the spanners advised that theproblem was due a vacuum hose that had not been reconnected to the rear of the transmission / transfer case (?) and fobbed it off with a smile as if it happens every day...

all is well that ends well - thanks again.

DP
FollowupID: 320935

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 13:59

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 13:59
It's amazing isn't it, we take our beloved 4bys to these places and often we know more about them than they do!
I always check my coolant levels, hose clamps, oil levels (trany and engine) when I pick my car up, heard too many stories of people getting half way home and "clunk" bye bye engine.
Besides the last thing you want when your loaded up with all ya gear, kids screaming in the back 500kms from home is your frigin 4wd to not disenage, man that would suck! Can't even tow it, it's a tray back job.
AnswerID: 59415

Sponsored Links