pls advise on Rottnest Island

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 06:06
ThreadID: 129878 Views:1855 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
We found this forum so tremendously helpful, that we are posting yet another query...please bear with us :)

We love animals and read in LP guidebook that the Rottnest Island is great for watching wildlife, in particular quokkas. We don't have them in Europe and would love to see them when coming to Australia next week, but ...is it really easy or you have to be really lucky to spot them? Isn't it too cold to go there in August? We would be planning the whole day trip around watching wildlife, so looking very much forward to your advice.

Also if you know where on the island there's the greatest chance of spotting wildlife and if we can hire a bike when arriving on the island (by ferry), we would be most grateful!

Thank you very much in advance!
Ania
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 06:36

Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 06:36
G;day, yes you can hire bikes, but walking is probably the better way to see any wild life...... I am sure you will see Quokkas on your travels around the island. It maybe very cold and windy though..............
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 588907

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 08:34

Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 08:34
There is a bus trip around the island. The bus driver is sure to be able to point out some on the way around. We saw some as we were walking around the more remote parts of the village.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 588911

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 09:11

Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 09:11
When I went to Rottnest about 5 years ago , the quokkas were running all around the shopping centre, and I got a photo of one with a Maccas container around its neck.
So they are not hard to find.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 588913

Follow Up By: Member - backtracks - Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 10:21

Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 10:21
Agree with rangiephil, there last year, lots of quokas in the shopping centre. Signs telling you not to feed them. I'd hire a bike, it's a long way round ! Oh, maybe hire snorkels and flippers too.
FollowupID: 856746

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 10:57

Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 10:57
If you could go to Rottnest without seeing a quokka, I would be impressed. They are everywhere.

There are places to hire bikes as soon as you step off the ferry. It might be a bit chilly in August and the ferry ride over there might get a bit choppy, but no reason why you can't go.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 588918

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 13:45

Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 13:45
agree to what Tommo said the quokkas are everywhere or they were yesterday. a little bit windy but nothing to worry about, have fun and enjoy,
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 856754

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 13:11

Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 13:11
Hi

Shouldn't be a problem in seeing a Quokka.

Chances of it being cold, wet and windy are good.

If it is wet and windy it wouldn't be very pleasant riding around. You could still catch the bus. You can get off and on the bus at the different stops around the island.

Apart from the Quokkas I would think it unlikely you would see any other wildlife apart from birds. The scenery would still be ok, if somewhat wet and wild. If the only reason you are going is to see the wildlife I would give it a miss. You could probably make better use of the day.

Not quite the same but Caversham Wildlife Park may be of interest to you.

Regards
Rowdy
AnswerID: 588924

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 16:00

Thursday, Aug 06, 2015 at 16:00
Rotto Wildlife..

Have fun. Could be a bit chilly.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 588931

Sponsored Links