Yengo NP trip planning

Submitted: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 18:50
ThreadID: 12989 Views:1957 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Planning a weekend in Yengo NP. 2 x 4by's departing southern sydney on Saturday morning, returning Sunday arv/evening and was after some advice. Yes thanks, read the trip notes.
I'm puzzled as to the best route to St Albans. I'm thinking Wisemans Ferry has no ferry as this would be the preferred route. Next best seems to be the Wisemans Ferry Rd via Peats Ridge Rd north of the Hawkwsbury (all the shortcut gates seem to be locked according to my map!). The trip I'm planning is loosley based on the article in the May 4wd monthly and lunch at St. Albans, then on to Finchley to camp is the plan.
What time should we plan on turning of the Expressway? Is there a better way? Does Finchley camp ground get crowded on non long weekends? Do we need to book with NPWS? Have Magellan GPS, does anybody have a route?. Any advice, much appreciated. Thanks
Shane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hazardous - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:51

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:51
Gday Shane,

I'm new here but I recently bought a copy of "4wd Treks Close To Sydney" that you often see people refer to and last weekend I did the Yengo National Park Trek which sounds similar to what your after. I would certainly recommend this book ($22 from most bookstores) if your new to 4wd/this area.

Wisemans Ferry certainly has a Ferry, well barge maybe, but you take your car accross there, turn left when you hit Wisemans Ferry township, and follow the road about 500m further down. By the way its free.

From there you follow the graded dirt road for maybe 20mins and come to St. Albans. The rest is pretty much detailed in the book, all the way to Wollombi.

When I was there Finchley wasnt crowded, if it was you could back track to Mogo camping area which is bigger.

Devils rock is also very worthwhile. Park where they mention in the book and then walk up the hill through the old wire rope fence and continue to the top of the hill which is all one big rock face. Very nice views and lots of Aboriginal carvings here.

I don't think any booking would be necessary at all for your camping.

The track was very dry/dusty last weekend and won't really test your 4wd skills, but it is a nice getaway weekend. I did this in one day but two would be better, that way you could continue on past Wollombi on Old Settlers Road, which is a bit more testing maybe?, and then come back down Putty Road to Windsor.

Have a good time anyhow.

Haz
AnswerID: 59141

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:52

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 19:52
Wismans ferry to St Albans. When you come down the hill into wisemans ferry turn left at pub & ferry is 100m onm your right. you can either return via the expressway or go west & return via the Putty Rd & Windsor
AnswerID: 59142

Reply By: vuduguru - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 20:47

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 20:47
Guys,

Thanks, my maps show no indication of a ferry. I' sure the crew will enjoy the ride on the "barge". Regards
Shane
AnswerID: 59150

Follow Up By: Wisey (NSW) - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 19:33

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 19:33
The ferry (barge) that was running has now gone in for referbishment , 2 smaller barges are trying to do the same job so expect a delay. I heard this on todays trafffic report
FollowupID: 320941

Reply By: vuduguru - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 20:53

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 20:53
haz,

Thanks, actually we were planning something of a pub crawl with a bit of 4wdriving. Not that we dink much! ...Oh shoot! but yeah that's the route.
Thanks
Shane
AnswerID: 59154

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 21:26

Tuesday, May 18, 2004 at 21:26
beware the track just past Wollombi where you are supposed to go through private property has been "closed" for a long time. 6 months atleast.!! i even read this in 4wd monthly mag trips. the gate is locked/padlocked...
cheers steve
AnswerID: 59165

Follow Up By: vuduguru - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 07:48

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 07:48
Steve,
Thanks, is that the gate on the trail leading off to the North between Wollombi and Paynes crossing? Maps shows a couple of closed gates toward the Coalmine Trail.
Shane
FollowupID: 320841

Follow Up By: Savvas - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 08:46

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 08:46
Yep ... that's the gate Old Settler's Road. The owner of the property has had enough and has closed the access off.

Check with the NPWS at Gosford for anymore closures that may affect you.
FollowupID: 320848

Reply By: Member - Anne - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 10:26

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 10:26
Hi Shane,

We did that trip about 2 weeks ago, and used the article from 4wd monthly as a guide. No problem getting from Wisemans Ferry and crossing on the ferry, with our troopy and campertrailer. The drive through the park is lovely and the climb up to Devils Rock is definitely worth it. Finchley is a reasonable campsite, but Mogo Creek is MUCH nicer, but it is camping only, not set up for trailers or vans. We had a lovely lunch at the Settlers Arms in St. Albans, and the pub at Wollombi is an experience! Don't miss out on Dr. Jurd's jungle juice! If you are interested in history then have a look at both cemeteries in St. Albans, (on either side of the village). The older one has the grave of one of the first fleeters and several of his descendents are buried there too.

We arrived in Yengo on a Sunday evening, and the one remaining camper said that it had been moderately busy, so it might be worth ringing NPWS, just to be on the safeside.

Enjoy yourselves, its a lovely place
Cheers
Anne
AnswerID: 59224

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 13:08

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 13:08
There are, in fact, 2 vehicle ferries (barges) at Wisemans. The one described above (where you turn left as you come down the hill towards the pub) and the other is located at the end of the main road (you swing right instead of left and follow the road through "town"). Both take you to St Albans but I'd suggest the first ferry and route as it is more picturesque.

However, if you want a faster trip, take the Freeway, exit to Wollombi and start your trip from the intersection of George Downs Drive and the dirt road (can't remember the name) that leads to Mogo and St Albans. Stop here to wonder along (a short distance) the convict built road. You may even like to re-think your plans so you come back through St Albans on Sunday. They have live jaz there every Sunday afternoon so it could be a nice way to finish the trip.

I agree with Anne that Mogo is a much more pleasant camp site - it has grass. Theoretically you need to book there on a weekend as there are only 6 sites available. However, as the temps drop, so too will the camper numbers, I guess.

Finchley camping ground is just dirt and was badly littered last time we were there. There is a (very) small cave (well, a rock overhang really) behind the campsite with Aboriginal (hand print) art. Just past the camp ground (about 200 metres) is more art, with a board-walk around it. Don't forget to stop at the Finchley Trig Point and walk up the steps. The 360 degree view is really spectacular and one of best bits of any trip in the area.

The Old Settlers Track is definitey closed at the eastern end so don't even bother with that one. However, if you want to take a track from east to west (to Putty Road) the Yengo Track will get you there. It takes about 2 hours or so from Mogo to Putty Road.

You say you read the trek notes - did you also read the various trek feedbacks? Lots of extra details there.

On our first trip we used the 4WD Treks Close to Sydney book and didn't need any of the other maps we took but if you intend to explore beyond the book's trek notes or the obvious and well used tracks, you should get the 1:25,000 topo maps of the area.

With all the stopping and looking you'll do and the often slow speeds (<15kph), everything is likely to take longer than you expect, so plan for that.

It's a great location. Have fun.

AnswerID: 59249

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 18:32

Wednesday, May 19, 2004 at 18:32
I found that going via Dargle following the river is a very scenic drive and you end up at the ferry at Wisemans that goes to St Albans

Baz.
AnswerID: 59297

Reply By: vuduguru - Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 07:55

Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 07:55
All Good stuff, thanks Guys and Gals.

Shane
AnswerID: 59372

Sponsored Links