Off Road Camper Insurance

Submitted: Friday, Aug 07, 2015 at 15:18
ThreadID: 129906 Views:3044 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I recently had (unfortunately) cause to make a claim on my Camper insurance policy where I found out that an excess applies whenever the camper is used on a unsealed road.

Given that most of my travelling is done on unsealed roads that meansd the excess applies pretty much all of the time I'm using it.

Can anyone point me to an insurer who understands that a Off Road camper is designed to be used off road and offers a policy that reflects that?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bobjl - Friday, Aug 07, 2015 at 17:11

Friday, Aug 07, 2015 at 17:11

An excess usually applies to each and every claim, other than if say a free windscreen benefit or the damage was caused by a third party/no fault etc. If there were no excess's payable, people would claim on anything and everything and that would not be commercially sustainable.

Maybe you are saying there was an "Additional/Penalty Excess" payable because of the off road use at the time the damage occurred? If that is the case then it would have/should have been stated loud and clear on your Insurance Schedule.

If you are unhappy with the level of excess then shop around on the internet and see terms and conditions. There are numerous specialist Caravan/Camper/Motorhome Insurers who are well regarded and know the common exposures that some of us present.

I have my van insured with well known insurer and ensure I know what is and is not covered. Not everything is covered of course and exclusions will apply for some losses. Better to find out before the event and unless you read the PDS and the Policy Schedule thoroughly, you are assuming some risk of a surprise when claiming.

If in the unlikely event the Insurer did not advise clearly of a penalty excess, then you have the right to a dispute resolution procedure and or the Ombudsman.
Good Luck

AnswerID: 588977

Follow Up By: Member Boroma 604 - Friday, Aug 07, 2015 at 19:02

Friday, Aug 07, 2015 at 19:02
Why not give the CMCA a go, OK you have to join but we joined as an associate member with our caravan, and save d more than the joining fee & membership fee on our first years Insurance premium, we also have 2 vehicles insured with them. After all you should be eligible as it is a camp[er trailer you have. Bit of work for initial application but worth it entirely.

They used to have a Broker, Ken Tame and Associates, but to my knowledge it is now owned by Allianz, who Tame represented, but still trades as the above. We were with Allianz previously but got a much better deal through CMCA.
FollowupID: 856802

Reply By: Tim F3 - Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 08:15

Saturday, Aug 08, 2015 at 08:15
Had my camper written off recently,on a dirt road, excess was $200 wherever it was driven through APIA.
AnswerID: 588995

Follow Up By: Member - silkwood - Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 10:23

Sunday, Aug 09, 2015 at 10:23
Then don't drive through APIA!
FollowupID: 856839

Sponsored Links