Explanation of Symbols in Places option

Submitted: Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 16:47
ThreadID: 129942 Views:2211 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Greetings, I'm probably having a blokes look but can someone direct me to where I can find an explanation of what the various symbols mean on the Places page?

Many thanks, Gary M.
Gary M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - wicket - Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 18:24

Monday, Aug 10, 2015 at 18:24
down in the bottom right hand corner click on the word..... Legend

AnswerID: 589099

Follow Up By: Rob K (VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2015 at 08:51

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2015 at 08:51
Wicket,

I think the OP was talking about the symbols for each "place" shown on the map and not the map legend?

Gary, if you click on a few of the "places" (ie. open them up) you can hold the curser over the symbol and it tells you what it represents. For example, POI, Free Camp, Pets Allowed etc.

Maybe Michelle can help with telling us where the places legend can be found on the website? I'm sure it must be somewhere so you can add the symbols to new entries.

Cheers

Rob K
FollowupID: 856937

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2015 at 14:52

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2015 at 14:52
Hi Gary,
Let me investigate why this isn't obvious and I will post my answer as a Tip of the Week in the newsletter.

Thanks, MM
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589121

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Aug 11, 2015 at 17:16

Tuesday, Aug 11, 2015 at 17:16
Gary, let me firstly explain how Places are displayed. I'd be keen to hear your thoughts on what you expect should be presented differently or if you think my suggestion at the end is suitable.

Firstly, when you actually "open" a Place - you go to a full page with all the details.
This database combines raw data as the minimum but can have additional information added by the public (photos, 1-5 star rating, review), or by our administrators (description, contact details etc).

Here's an example of a raw Place - Mount George - NT.

At the top you'll see a mountain icon. If you hover your mouse over this icon you'll see the text that describes that icon - in this case Mountain/Peak/Hill. In the Description tab - you'll see a heading "Place Type" and for this one it's listed as "Geography - Mountain/Peak/Hill.

If you click the MAP tab you'll see how this Place is presented on the map. Just the icon. However, the Place has been activated so you see the popup with its Place Name the icon for its Place Type.

Most of the icons should be pretty obvious and it's easy to quickly check by opening the full Place Page as indicated above where you can verify the type of Place in a couple of ways.

I do understand your request for a "legend" however this is related to the icons on the map and it is expected that the icon will give you the answer you need as you need it - you can click this to view a basic overview of the Place in the popup - just the name, the icon again (but not the text to confirm the Place Type) and the link to open the Place page. I guess the more you use it, the more familiar you become with it by just viewing the icons.

My guess is that rather than a legend to these icons, it might be worth just putting the text to confirm the Place type in the pop up. Would that be a useful solution to your issue do you think?

I'll have to check with David as to whether there is a "legend" for the icons used as I actually don't think there is a separate document for this, given it's meant to be intuitive. I'm also sticking my neck out suggesting the modification above - of course all subject to David's approval. So let me know your thoughts please before I take this to him.
Regards, Michelle,
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589125

Sponsored Links