Sturt's Desert Pea

Heard on Australia All Over on Sunday there are acres and acres of Sturt's desert pea's about 25-30kms south of Roxby Downs on the Pimba road. We saw some there a few years ago, but not in such a large display. My question - how long we will they last? Want to go to have a look but can't go before 1st week in September and have a 1300m drive so don't want to get there and find we have missed out. Many thanks.
Jinki & Harry enjoying !!!!!

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 07:33

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 07:33
Hi Jinki and Harry

That area south of Roxby is usually very good for the Sturt Desert Pea. With the weather like it is here in South Australia, they should still be good until well into October.

I might even give their VIC a call today, as like to head up there when the coloured verities are on display. When they are like that, it is a very special occasion to see so many coloured types of flowers.

In the past, the coloured variations have been just north of Roxby and out on the Andamooka Road. There has even been good and continued rain in the Flinders Ranges and could be a good year up there as well, but still too early and cold at the moment.

Cheers

Stephen
Simpson Desert Colours

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589175

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 08:14

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 08:14
Hi

Posted the above from my iPad, and this repy is from my MacBook.

Here is a link to a Blog that I did about the Desert Peas of Roxby Downs when the last major coloured display was in full bloom.

Roxby Downs Coloured Sturt's Desert Pea

Also the coloured varieties and occur in any area where they grow, and here was a sample that was at Emu last year, right in the middle of the Anne Beadell Highway.

Also just because they may all appear red in colour, make sure that you take a real good look, as here is another good example of a coloured variation on the way to Forrest Lakes, in the great Victoria Desert.

Enjoy one of the best wildflowers to see out in its natural environment.

Cheers

Stephen
Simpson Desert Colours

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857008

Follow Up By: DesF - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 16:53

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 16:53
Hi, These were 80ks past Woomera, last week.
FollowupID: 857030

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 17:14

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 17:14
Magnificent DesF
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857031

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 18:26

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 18:26
Hi Des

Great display for sure, it must have looked great.

Jinki and Harry, here is the phone number for the Roxby Downs Visitor Information Centre - 08 8671 2001

Give them a call, as I did today for the very latest information.

What they did tell me is that there are a couple of coloured ones around, pink and white, but you have to go looking for them.

They are not out in the numbers as they were in 2010, as they have not had the same heavy rains.

Stephen
Simpson Desert Colours

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857035

Follow Up By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 22:10

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 22:10
Hi Stephen

Many thanks for your help and suggestions. As I mentioned we can't head across there for another 3 weeks and will look forward to our quick trip. Will give the Roxby VIC a call prior to heading off.

Again thanks.
Regards
Jinki

FollowupID: 857044

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 18:15

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 18:15
I was west of the Roxby/Woomera road, on Parakylia station six days ago, and they were out & about; as others have demonstrated they were also on the main road recently.
How long will they last ? How long is a piece of string??? But it's reasonable to suppose they may still be out, blooming - or, bloomin' well out in two weeks!

AnswerID: 589194

Follow Up By: Member - Jinki & Harry - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 22:11

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 22:11
Thanks Rick.

FollowupID: 857045

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 19:09

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 19:09
I thought we had some decent displays of the desert Sturt Pea in the Pilbara region until I saw the photos you winkled out from Stephen & DesF below - WOW, they are magnificent.

We swung into the Canna / Morawa region on our way back from the northwest expecting to see heaps of our wreath flowers and everlastings, but they are not out in abundance just yet - they are a bit late in that region, but it looks like a promising season.

The wreath flowers were abundant in one spot 38 ks north of Morawa on the Yalgoo road if anyone is heading in there in the near future and can only get better. They expect a bumper season 'when the sun finally comes out' - probably around the end of the month.

So to all of those 'E/states visitors I encouraged to 'swing inland at Geraldton' on your way down, I must add 'don't rush' - it is a darn sight colder down this end and the wildflowers will come out when they are good and ready.

Happy travelling all - Phil & Jill
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 589197

Reply By: Australian Landscape Jewellery - Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 17:38

Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 17:38
Yep, that area has the best Sturt Desert Pea I have seen. Usually they stay around in a good year for some time.
In my garden when in Alice Springs I spent a small fortune trying to grow them. Over quite a few years I got a total of one miserable little flower. Just up the road outside Kittle Motors they grew by themselves along the roadside in masses.
Just stunning.
AnswerID: 589238

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)