Caravan Heating

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 13:59
ThreadID: 129975 Views:2629 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all can some head me in the right directin
We have a 22ft van with an East / West bed with the head of the bed at the door/ awning side and want to to fit a truema gas heater and have been that it can only be fitted if the air intake is on the opposite side which will make it hard to fit under the lift up bed is this info correct
Thanks
Greg
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 14:10

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 14:10
Gooday,
Only help I can give you is that we have had a Webasto for 7-8 years and has given us great service, you can vent it wherever, and runs on Diesel, very economical and reliable.
know lots of others with the same brand and also faultless.
Best of luck.

Only other suggestion I have is to install your hot air outlet as close as possible to the heater unit, do not be tempted to run conduit underneath as you will experience Giant heat loss, I can speak from experience.
Cheers,
Boroma604.
AnswerID: 589184

Follow Up By: Gronk - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 20:32

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 20:32
How was the noise from the heater.....

I've never heard one yet that didn't annoy us from even 50M away, but not knowing brands, I don't know if one brand is noisier than another ?
FollowupID: 857040

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 14:17

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 14:17
Hi Greg, friends of ours with a Hino Motorhome had one put in under a single bed on one side with outlet facing toward front of bus past the cupboards ,and the inlet was on the side between the beds and as a result the heater kept running , because it was not getting the warmed air to the thermostat to stop the burner . He asked me why it was staying on ,so I told him to put a hair dryer hot air ,into the intake to see if that was the problem ,and it then shut down ok .So I guess in your situation if you have the hot air coming forward into the centre of the van ,the air will not get warm enough on the other side to shut it down ,when the temp is comfortable ,so it will get hot enough , but you may have to keep shutting it down.Some others may have the answer ,as I do not have one fitted.
Regards
John
AnswerID: 589185

Reply By: Athol W1 - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 15:12

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 15:12
Greg
There is a requirement under the Gas Regulations and Standards for the exhaust for any gas appliance to be not within any enclosed space (ie must have adequate ventilation).

Whilst there is no enclosed annex then there should not be an issue with the gas exhaust going out the left side of the van, and in the case of the Truma heater this also includes the inlet air for the furnace.

There are a number of vans being built today that have the 3 way fridge located on the left side with the gas exhaust also on that side (my own near new Jayco being one such van) and this is not an issue until there is an enclosed annex fitted, then there has to be provision for this gas exhaust.

As for the HEATED air within the van I would recommend having the hot air outlet as far as is practicable from the cool (return) air inlet, this will ensure heated air circulating throughout the maximum area within the van, too close together and you only warm that area between the two. If you have to run ducting under the floor for this then make that the return (cool) path. I have done this for about 5 metres with a Diesel heater with success, although the end of the van furthest from the hot air outlet was still noticeably cooler than at the hot outlet (that van was 24 ft and NOT very well insulated).

Trusting this is of assistance.
Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 589187

Reply By: 2517. - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 21:31

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 21:31
In a 22 foot van you should be able to find a cupboard to fit it in,they are not very big the only problem we have is No 4 setting is to hot and No 3 to cool,the installer said this is a common problem but you learn to live with it.Funny we had a black out tonight for 1.5hrs and had tea in tea van.
AnswerID: 589208

Follow Up By: K&FT - Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 21:41

Thursday, Aug 13, 2015 at 21:41
we usually have ours set between 3 and 4 and find that quite comfy.
FollowupID: 857042

Reply By: lucabair - Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 09:06

Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 09:06
Hi, we also have exactly same van as yours, we have the gas heater situated under the bed in the side boot area, have had no issues with it heats fine, controls next to side cupboard near bed for easy reach
AnswerID: 589218

Sponsored Links