What towing mirrors do you use?

Submitted: Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 15:17
ThreadID: 129987 Views:5382 Replies:12 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Hello All!

I need some help, I'm looking at options for towing mirrors and have been considering the Clearview Mirrors (there are also cheaper alternatives) as I love the idea of them being sturdy and reliable whilst on the road. What I'm not sure I want is the extra width on my vehicle whilst driving it around town (90% of the time).

I've currently got and have been using for the past 7 - 8 years the type that clamp onto the door into the window cavity and under the bottom of the door. I don't want to use these any more as the old car I had (just sold) was getting wear marks on the windows and to be honest, a bit of work to store/install without knocking the mirrors even just a little, leading to adjustments more often than desired.

I've seen some that clamp to existing mirrors, some that are a sleeve the go over the front of existing mirrors as well, what options are there out there that work well??

All input appreciated,

Cheers

John

PS - not sure if it's relevant but I'm driving an 08 Landcruiser Sahara
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David & Jo - Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 15:55

Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 15:55
Milenco aero xl are getting very good reviews. We have bought a pair after using the same ones you have mentioned for a few years, but we haven't tried them yet. Tomorrow is the day we get them out so we are hoping they are as great as everyone says. We don't like the look of Clearviews on our Paj no matter how "good" people say they are, also cost is way more than what we want to fork out for mirrors that are only used a few times a year.
AnswerID: 589232

Follow Up By: Dermottj - Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 16:08

Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 16:08
Thanks for that David & Jo,
I'm leaning exactly the way you have just gone and for the same reasons as well. Would you mind letting me know what you think of them once you get them?
Cheers
John
FollowupID: 857058

Reply By: Graeme F - Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 17:22

Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 17:22
I have used the Milenco, very happy. Went from Melb to Broome,Drawin, TC, over to Gladstone. Went past road trains, had road trains overtake. Never blew off or in. Also fitted wired in Safety Dave rear view on King Cobra & under spare wheel on 2009 NT Pajero. Made hitching up super easy. Personally, I would not have the clearview type, as I felt too blocking field of vision, my opinion only.
AnswerID: 589237

Follow Up By: Member - string - Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 18:05

Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 18:05
Is there any reason (or law ) you can't use a cctv camera on the back of the van in lieu of 'add on' mirrors ?

string
FollowupID: 857062

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 21:02

Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 21:02
String
The law in Qld, and I believe most other states, state that the driver of a motor vehicle must have a clear REFLECTED view of following and overtaking traffic.

ADR's also require this and they also require the fitment of 2 external mirrors, one each side, on any vehicle designed to carry more than 8 persons, or is designed to carry goods, or is towing any trailer.

Whilst this does not prohibit the use of CCTV it does not allow for the use of CCTV in lieu of mirrors.

Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 857068

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 09:42

Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 09:42
What if the trailer or van is narrower or of equal width as the tow car? Do we still have to have them?

We recently towed a T-van for a long trip and didn't get extra mirrors fitted. By what you said we were in error. Even though I had a clear view of any overtaking vehicles and a good view of following cars.

Phil
FollowupID: 857080

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 16:31

Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 16:31
Phil
The requirement is only to have a clear reflected view of following and overtaking vehicles. If the original factory fitted mirrors do that on both sides of the vehicle and trailer then there is no legal requirement to add any further mirror(s) nor any other device.

As there is a maximum allowable distance that mirrors are allowed to extend beyond the width of the vehicle (including a trailer) then the fitment of additional mirrors in your case could also attract the wrath of the Constabulary. That distance is 150mm for fixed mirrors, and 230mm for all mirrors PROVIDED that they can collapse without breakage to 150mm.

Trusting this helps
Athol
FollowupID: 857097

Follow Up By: Dermottj - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:01

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:01
Thanks for all the input, Graeme F are you able to tell me please, have you done any tracks with them on? We're off to the Oodnadatta track next month and will do Birdsville etc.. over time, just interested to see how they performed in this area?
Cheers

Derm
FollowupID: 857210

Follow Up By: Graeme F - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:45

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:45
Hi, we did the Gibb River Road, from West to East in June this yr, mostly good, a few bad corros. Did a tyre on the Pajero, but van got thru unscathed.
Thankfully the tyre repair man is on the job, east of Imitiji, we were his 6th repair for the day
FollowupID: 857225

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 18:35

Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 18:35
Hi

I had the same as you that clamped onto the door. Wasn't very happy with them.

I have now had the Brunsgaard mirrors for a couple of years and am very happy with them.

Very similar to the Milenco but I just liked the finish of the Brunsgaard better than the Milenco. They also had a good review.

Regards
Rowdy
AnswerID: 589243

Follow Up By: Dermottj - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:03

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:03
Hi Rowdy,

Happy to consider these as well, have you towed on any tracks with them? Just interested to see how they would perform in this instance?
Cheers

Derm
FollowupID: 857211

Follow Up By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:04

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 12:04
We have an offroad van and tend to get of the bitumen as much as possible. The mirrors are the two point model and are fitted to a Prado.
Since the Brunsgaard's have been fitted, we have probably used them more on corrugated gravel, with some use on tracks, to gain access to isolated camping spots.

The main problem I had with the old mirrors was that every time a road-train passed I had to adjust the mirror. Drove me crazy going up the Grt Northern Hwy when a road-train passes every 5 minutes. No problems with the Brunsgaard's.

Regards
FollowupID: 857224

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 16:16

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 16:16
Another vote for the Brunsgaard...off road etc

I have tried a few and these are the best so far
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 857241

Reply By: RobAck - Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 19:40

Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 19:40
Another vote for Brunsgaard. Excellent design and quality and we bet the living daylights out of them touring remote Australia with our Ultimate on the back

Rob
AnswerID: 589245

Follow Up By: Dermottj - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:04

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:04
G'day Rob,

So you've travelled off the black top with them? If that's the case that is impressive! Which type did you go for? Looking on their website looks like there are two types, one has more points of anchor (is that the right way to say it?) than the other to existing mirrors.

Cheers

Derm
FollowupID: 857212

Follow Up By: RobAck - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 17:15

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 17:15
Derm we have a Discover 4 and tow an Ultimate and spend a couple of months off bitumen every year at least and plenty of weekends away to the Flinders etc. So they get a hammering. One other thing is how quiet they are in strong winds so one more benefit.

For Discovery we have the three pointer which works perfectly. They have experienced >70kph winds and no issues.

One thing is they are very easy to remove and replace. So when parked up we always remove them. This is not a chore but saves money and inconvenience. Overall the best ones we have ever used and we have worn out plenty. A couple of friends have the big truck mirrors (Clearview) and find them something of a pain as they have to be folded in every time you go in and out of their respective garages as well as in car parks

Ours are certainly considerably cheaper and suit our needs perfectly

Rob
FollowupID: 857248

Reply By: Member - fawkesp - Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 21:31

Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 21:31
John,

I've had Clearviews for three years now and have found them very good. They're a little wide when going into Woolies carparks or down narrow 4wd tracks, but for their use when towing, I can put up with thtat.

Peter.
AnswerID: 589250

Follow Up By: goddosglory - Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 08:13

Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 08:13
another vote for clear view..it,s not only the mirrors that slow you down in super market car parks ..they just don,t seem to make the spaces big enough..or the lower levels high enough for 4x4
FollowupID: 857077

Reply By: dublediff - Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 21:41

Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 21:41
I have seen a few entries on different forums asking what is the second best choice of rear view mirrors for towing.....having had many different types and finally fitting clear views to my landcruiser I know exactly what they mean. For towing there is nothing better! However, if you don't have a caravan behind you they can be inconvenient in tight spots in the metro region. In tight spots off road just pull the bloody things in against the door! Even in the 'burbs without the van the rear view is without peer! Only 15 minutes to swap them over..I just did it today.
AnswerID: 589251

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 08:00

Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 08:00
I had a pair of cheapies after buying my van. They attached to the external mirrors by way of a couple of straps. No matter how firm I tightened them, they gradually slipped and altered the mirror angle. They also vibrated a fair bit.
No big deal as they were $22.00 a set.

Then went to a caravan supplies shop to investigate the clamp on bracket mirrors as you have mentioned. The knowledgeable lady I talked to stated they were not suitable for all types of vehicles. On one trip I observed a bloke who had them on his vehicle and he had added a magnetic rubberised "plate" to sit under the rubber door clamp.

The lady then showed me a set of the Milenco mirrors and said they had a good reputation, so I ended up buying a pair. The cost was about $145.
I like the way they clamp on to the top of the external mirror surround and are infinitely adjustable for outward extension and angle. I also like the large viewing angle they provide.

Have only used them for a short trip so far, but heading bush for an extended trip next week and it will be interesting to see how they stay put over a longer period on unsealed roads. I will have the option of quickly removing them if I experience any problems when negotiating corrugated surfaces, but hopefully they will stay on for the entire trip.

I have the Milenco Grand Aero Mirrors
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589259

Follow Up By: Dermottj - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:06

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:06
Hi Sand Man,

Would you mind letting me know how you go? I'm tossing up between a pair of these and the Brunsgaards.

Cheers

Derm
FollowupID: 857214

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:39

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:39
Sure will Derm.

I will give an early opinion in a couple of weeks, once we have travelled the Birdsville Track for a couple of days or so.

Looked at the Clearview mirrors, but at $600+ and a wider protrudence even when not extended, decided against these.
Also have read a couple of less favorable reports from folk who have invested in them.
Bill

FollowupID: 857218

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 15:09

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 15:09
I am currently in Birdsville and after travelling the wost section of a major unsealed surface I have experienced, i can categorically advise that the Milenco Grand Mirrors came out trumps.
One minor problem where the left hand mirror dropped slightly, just required a tightening of the horisontal clamps and all was good.
Let me reiterate the Birdsville Track north of Mungerannie is in very poor condition, resulting in several punctures in our three vehicle convoy, but the mirrors have definitely passed the test.
Bill

FollowupID: 857576

Follow Up By: Dermottj - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 16:27

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 16:27
Thanks Sand Man!

Wonder by any chance have you been along the Oodnadatta track as well? We're heading along it mid next month and I'm interested to know what sort of condition the track is in at the moment.

Great to hear about the Milencos, very pleased they are working well.

Cheers

Derm
FollowupID: 857580

Reply By: SuperGrover - Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 11:59

Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 11:59
I have had the clearview mirrors for a few years now after using various types over the years. I just think that I should have had them fitted earlier. Yes they are expensive but that is forgotten quickly after a couple of trips away. I also have them fitted to a landcruiser and that makes them tight in car spaces but the cruiser is a big car to start with. I just fold them in.
AnswerID: 589268

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 17:33

Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 17:33
Yep - the Clearviews are no doubt a good product but I didn't want the extra width involved.
I chose Milenco Grande clamp-ons for my new 200 series and so far they have been excellent. They clamp on easily and securely and don't mark the car - if care is taken in their storage while off, they accurately hold their adjustment when put back on. On rough gravel roads, they would wobble a fair bit, but I intend to do a lot less rough travel these days.
AnswerID: 589281

Reply By: Been-Everywhereman - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 00:27

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 00:27
We have clearview mirrors on the wife's car (150 Prado) and tow an 18 foot caravan. We have always skimped on mirrors and had all the issues especially on corrugated roads. We have just been on the Gibb River Road and the Oenpelli Road (Arnhemland) and the Clearviews were as good as having factory mirrors on. Wifey seems to drive around without any issues in town, shops etc and she is a little better most sheilas behind the wheel of a fourby.
AnswerID: 589301

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 15:23

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 15:23
I also have just bought the Milenco Grand Aeros because I didn't want the extra width of the Clearview when offroading - they stick out an extra 100mm when retracted and 200mm extended. The Milenko are easily removed (maybe they are a target for thiefs?). Bought them off an EBay seller.
AnswerID: 589323

Reply By: David & Jo - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 12:21

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 12:21
Hi John, we used the mirrors on the weekend and found them to be exactly what we wanted. Minimal vibrations as well. Took a little bit of getting used to having a different shaped mirror but very happy with them. Easy to put on and off too.

Cheers
AnswerID: 589393

Sponsored Links