Connie Sue Highway track condition

Submitted: Friday, Aug 14, 2015 at 20:30
ThreadID: 129991 Views:2107 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
have been outback for 5 weeks with no radio or weather reports from down south.Planning to do the track in a week or so and wondered if anyone has been down there past week.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 05:40

Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 05:40
I'll be there in about 4 weeks, so interested to see too. Also Anne Beadell ( sorry for partial hijack Simza).

AnswerID: 589255

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 13:23

Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 13:23
Anne Beadell, Corrugations from Coober Pedy to EMU and to the SA border have to be experienced to be believed.

Low tyre pressures and a good suspension are a must, and drive to the conditions.

Recent trip causalities of others were, battery going walk about, car dropped out and returned to Coober Pedy. Broken rear spring, work around done till spring could be repalced at Laverton. One tyre punctured by screw driver, another cut limestone and a broken rear window.

Conditions from the border into WA not so bad.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 857091

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 08:03

Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 08:03
Hi Simza

Like most outback tracks, conditions do not change much from year to year.

Unfortunately the Connie Sue is one exception and over the last number of years is now getting worse than the Anne Beadell. We were on it last August, and coming up from the south, it is in its usual great condition and a great drive.

Compared to what it used to be like it goes to pure hell within a few hundred metres of leaving Neale Junction. The further north you head north, the corrugations will test your vehicles suspension to its limits. The only way to travel it is slow, and low tyre pressures to soak up those corrugations.

Make sure you drop into Point Lilian and check out the good art site.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589260

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 10:30

Saturday, Aug 15, 2015 at 10:30
Just completed it and can tell you the corrugations are as bad as ever but it is still a great drive, just heed Stephens warning and lower tyre pressures considerably.

Cheers
Leigh

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 857085

Sponsored Links