Solar Panels

Submitted: Friday, Mar 02, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 130 Views:2106 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have good/bad experience with solar panels to charge the second battery (to keep the fridge running)? I was told the polycrystaline ones are the best ones (if size matters), but i havent found one on the market. We would like a panel in two halves that folds up into a carry case.
Any advise greatly appreciated!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: michelle - Sunday, Mar 04, 2001 at 01:00

Sunday, Mar 04, 2001 at 01:00
Youll see these on display at the Rosehill 4WD show coming up - the foldup kind is ideal because you can park your car in the shade (for days on end while you fish/base camp etc) and lay out your solar panel in the sun. Which we had one ages ago. Its the ideal solution, not cheap but worth it for long trips in the end.
AnswerID: 238

Reply By: Mark Wilson - Monday, Mar 05, 2001 at 01:00

Monday, Mar 05, 2001 at 01:00
Bart?Marian, Weve got an 87 watt solarex array which works really well. I have a deep cycle auxilliary battery and the solar panel charges at the rate of 4 to 5 amps per hour. Given 10 hours of sunlight we can keep pace with the fridge which runs, according to climatic temps at around 3 amps per hour.
i built a case fro the panel out of marine ply, fairly light and lined it with faom underlay for protection. The case is then sored on top of the bed of our camp trailer, or on the mesh basket of our roof rack.
It works really well.

Regards mark wilson
AnswerID: 242

Sponsored Links