Camping toilet

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 11:47
ThreadID: 130006 Views:3137 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys I'm a new member and would like some advise,
Every January for the last 25 years we have been camping / skiing on the Murray river
Always careful to follow all regulations and keep a very neat campsite.
However I'm now at the age I would like a little luxury and I'm building an 8x5 enclosed trailer
Housing a shower using an instantaneous lpg hot water service and fully functional toilet
Now my dilemma is putting a large enough sewage tank for the amount of people to use it.
The question I want to ask is can I use a macerator pump and pump it to a long drop dug 50 meters away? Please bear in mind that no chemicals would be used. Or do I need to pump it to a holding tank and empty it at a RV dump point?
My reasonings tells me it's no different to using a long drop I'm just adding a toilet to it?
I would just like to know if it's meats regulations?
Or if anyone could put me on to the correct government department that could answer this question
That would also be greatly appreciated.
Kind regards
Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 12:02

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 12:02
Hi Jason

That sounds like a complicated set up, and a lot of cleaning up to do afterwards, also storing 50 metres of hose until you can give is a thorough cleansing. Why not purchase a portable toilet with 20 litre cassette and empty it every two or three days. It is an easy process and not too unpleasant. Take a two or three litre bottle of water with you to rinse the cassette and ensure no trace on the sides of the emptying point.

Parks and places providing long drop toilets specify no toilet cassettes; probably because they can't ensure that no chemical which will harm the process has been used, and nor will anyone who sees you. Use discretion.

As you say, in reality it is the same as if you walked to the long drop to use it if no chemicals have been added. Sodium percarbonate (laundry soaker) powders used moderately will also do no harm and help keep the cassette pleasant your end. For all about using portable toilets in an environmentally friendly was see My Blog on Toilets

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 589317

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 12:10

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 12:10
Camping in VictoriaVic Camping Guide for state forests
AnswerID: 589318

Follow Up By: Jason u - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 18:25

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 18:25
Thanks Notso
I will give them a call tomorrow??
FollowupID: 857157

Reply By: Jason u - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 16:47

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 16:47
Thanks for your reply
However over the years we have tried cassette toilets but with 20 or so people using it (several families)
Its just not practical. As for the system im building its as easy as throwing a hose with a filter into the river and hooking up a second hose from toilet to the long drop
Ive put a hose reel on the drawbar
To take 50 meters of hose
Ive also put a flushing system in place so it can be flushed onsite
(Clean enough to get home anyway)
But what im really looking for is a specific answer to my question.
Does my system meet regulations?
Regards
Jason
AnswerID: 589326

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 17:32

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 17:32
If you want a specific answer, why not ask the local council that governs the area in which you want to use it?
If it is only 50 metres to the long drop,many can't the 20 or so people walk to it?

FollowupID: 857152

Follow Up By: Gronk - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 18:23

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 18:23
You may also find it needs to be more than 50M from the river.....again, check with the council.

When you say you're going to pump to a long drop.....is that one you have dug ? If so, how deep ? The council may frown on this type of setup ( if they find out ), as it's a bit different than just digging a hole for personal use...compared to digging a hole big enough for 20 people !!
FollowupID: 857156

Follow Up By: Jason u - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 20:49

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 20:49
Thanks Gronk
Yes when i say long drop i mean a hole that i have dug
We currently dig a hole (as deep as we can get it with a shovel) and about 300 mm wide once its full we fill it in and dig another.
So volumes of waste should be no different to what it currently is .
Regards
Jason
FollowupID: 857178

Reply By: Jason u - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 18:22

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 18:22
Thanks Shaker
Good advise i will try that avenue.
Also the reason i cant place the bathroom trailer 50 meters from the river is because i need to put it close enough to the river as possible because i will be pumping water for the shower and the further away from the river the less pressure it will have
Regards
Jason
AnswerID: 589331

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 18:31

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 18:31
Jason,

Can't help with whether you can or can't use your planned system, at your camp.

Some years back we had a contractor working on the station where we lived at the time, that had a donga on a 40' trailer. Local plumber had installed a septic system to this set-up, so they had a clean toilet.

He fitted 2 x 200L plastic drums under the trailer, the "waste" went into the first drum, then the liquid overflow went into the 2nd drum. The excess liquid then flowed out onto the ground, away from the trailer. As they were out bush, there was no issues upsetting the neighbours. :-)

Maybe you could use 60L plastic containers instead, rigged up similar to the above set-up, and your 50M hose can run the waste water into the long drop?

Otherwise, do as Shaker suggested, and walk to the long drop.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589332

Follow Up By: Jason u - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 20:43

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 20:43
Thanks Bob
Great idea !
I was kicking around the idea of a couple of tanks. Im fitting a macerator pump so it will mostly all be liquid
I just don't know what size tanks to put on. But having said that i like your idea of a secondary overflow.

FollowupID: 857175

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 20:26

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 20:26
Will there be anyone else camped there other than your group Jason?
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 589339

Follow Up By: Jason u - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 20:51

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 20:51
No we generally have the area to our selves
FollowupID: 857180

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 21:12

Sunday, Aug 16, 2015 at 21:12
The general rule is that if you're going to make a personal one-off "deposit" it should be at least 100m from a campsite or water source/water way.

I suggest that a pit dug for the deposits of 20 people for a few days changes this somewhat and that your 50m is too far on the skinny side environmentally.

FWIW, I think you should have a holding tank and then pump or dump the contents AT LEAST 100m, preferably more considering the volume, from the waterway. Especially considering this might be a recurrent event with different dump pits during the course of a stay.

If you did that at in a pit a "primitive" site and kept it clean and buried deep I don't think anyone would have any problems.

Alternative is dig the pits, erect privacy screens, provide portable seats if "civilisation" is needed and let the 19 other people walk to the toilet. You, being the apparent organiser, can have your own Porta-Potti in your camper and empty it into said pit as required.

Just my thoughts.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589344

Reply By: Member -Hilton Hillbillies - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 10:40

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 10:40
Hi Jason,

I know you probably won't appreciate my thoughts.
Your trailer idea is ok, however I don't agree with emptying the waste in a pit onsite and I wouldn't think any local government would allow it.
I have operated a sewage treatment plant for 20 years, the damage this waste can do to the environment is great.
You would be better, installing proper black water holding tanks and taking your trailer to the proper dump point.

Enjoy your trip
Steve

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 589351

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 20:51

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 20:51
When I used to assist on Girl Guide camps, we dug deep holes (well one of the Guide leader's husband would) with a post hole digger, and erected our canvas cubicles and bench toilet seats. Four toilets was adequate for in excess of thirty girl plus leaders. True "long drops".

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 589373

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 21:06

Monday, Aug 17, 2015 at 21:06
Also, last year we went to a muster with about 50 caravans. They sunk three deep holes with a post hole digger well away from the campsite as the "dump point' for our cassettes. It was far enough away to drive. This was more than adequate for the numbers.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 589375

Reply By: AGNI4x4 - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 07:27

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 07:27
What ever you decide taking it home with you is probably a good start or dropping at emptying facilities provided ?
They did a test in the sand dunes at Inskip Point recently and found the contamination levels to be above health standards acceptable levels. Just thousands of people over time in a small area .................. as a previous poster has said it can have a bad effect. Your suggestion of pumping to a holding tank and dumping at RV point IMHO would be the go.
AnswerID: 589384

Follow Up By: mynance - Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 06:40

Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 06:40
I skip used to be good years ago. They should fine campers for not taking their black waste out of the camp area now, as the the whole region stinks.
We will not be going back.

Myles
FollowupID: 857358

Sponsored Links