Avan cruiser or cruiseliner

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 04:25
ThreadID: 130026 Views:6159 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys i absolutely do not want to ever tow a caravan but I'm interested in a small camper to see and do some things around Aus. Im not interested in canvas and i don't want to sit around inside a camper all day. Im basically looking for a bedroom to tow around, we won't be using it to stop for long periods of time, its just to try and stay at places that motels can't offer. We are considering an Avan cruiser or cruise liner . Is the Avan brand held with respect? Quality? Should i buy one? We know there isn't much in them but as i said i just don't want to lug around a heavy caravan. Looking for advice thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 06:24

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 06:24
You should consider a tear drop camper as well?
AnswerID: 589382

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 09:12

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 09:12
We had a Cruiseliner for 18 months and loved it. Light, airy, a dream to tow, plenty of storage, 30 second setup and take-down.

We decided to sell it when we realised it wasn't strong enough for the outback trips we wanted to do. The decider was when we took it from Sydney to Carnarvon Gorge (Qld) and back. Only 50km of good dirt each way, but those bouncy sealed roads in black soil country took their toll.

Cabinet work inside is not glued together, it uses plastic fittings with diagonal screws to pull right-angled joints together. Every one of those (50 or so) had to be tightened after the trip. The microwave met us at the door. And the long hinges at the base of the triangular sides were cracked for about 6 inches at each end.

None of that would have been a problem in normal light duty useage, but clearly there would be on-going issues if we did the extended outback heavy-duty touring that we have since done with its replacement, a Kimberley Karavan.

So, for light duty touring it's perfect, IMO. East coast National Parks, etc. But in our experience, the Cruiseliner is not designed for more heavy duty work.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589385

Reply By: William 1 - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 09:22

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 09:22
I would agree with the previous posts. We have an Avan and love it but wouldn't go off road with it.

The only criticism is that I found the support from the manufacturer is poor. A couple of times I have requested advice and received no response. Luckily I have had no problems that I couldn't sort out myself.
AnswerID: 589387

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 09:32

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 09:32
I have heard similar things about them, however I recall the Camp Host at the campsite in the Bungle Bungles had one and had got in the terrible road and across the water crossings by having it lifted a couple of inches ( axle flip) and taking off the rear jacks.
LOL.
He also had failing piano hinges.
You could probably fix the cabinetry by going around with a drill and a lot of right angle steel brackets and some good wood glue and making a little dam to stop the microwave from falling out, although I have seen that happen on a Bushtracker.

I have also heard of the windows in the roof falling out on the highway , and met people who have had very bad warranty service on other Avan products.

Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 589388

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 21:03

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 21:03
It sounds like the Awhatevers, don't have supple compliant suspension to be able to handle anything but a smooth road.

Maybe a suspension improvement would rectify many issues which are rearing their heads.
FollowupID: 857310

Reply By: TomH - Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 21:21

Tuesday, Aug 18, 2015 at 21:21
Ask your question on the Caravanners forum might get more answers
AnswerID: 589407

Reply By: mynance - Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 22:39

Wednesday, Aug 19, 2015 at 22:39
We had a Cruiseliner for 6 years, been to Carnarvon Gorge, Lawn Hill and Adells Grove had no problems.
The Cruiseliner has Alko rubber suspension with shockies this rode quite smooth.
We had external shower gas hot water and aircon, rarely used the aircon as they are well ventilated and insulated. My uncle had an Aliner one of the early ones, actually number 13 he took it around Australia at least 3 times did most of the off road tracks and had to replace the piano hinges with stainless steel ones but it had a very rough life and survived.
Avan support is non existant

Myles
AnswerID: 589446

Reply By: cliff p - Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 01:20

Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 01:20
Thanks for your input guys, a common theme seems to be the quality is a bit so so and AVANS customer service and after sales service is non existant. I think i may sway from AVANS and look into a pop top as the layouts offer a bit more, i think. My biggest problem is that i have to store it in my double garage so I'm very limited, it just might not happen. Thanks again.
AnswerID: 589448

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 11:19

Thursday, Aug 20, 2015 at 11:19
Cliff, a thread like this tends to draw in the knockers more than the supporters. All my friends are happy with their Aliners and similar units. Lack of support is common amongst van sellers, don't think that steering clear of Avans will solve that problem. A lot of failing to get support is also a sign that the owner has probably also failed the personality test.

Suitable alternatives would be the small vans with a rear entry door. Some members will tell you that they have dust problems through the rear door, ours did not, all we got was was a patch of dust just inside the door the size and shape of the door vent. The problem was solved with a small mat just inside the door, when you first open the door remove the mat and shake it outside, the dust is simply disposed.

Alternatives to look at are - Gemhunter Off Road Custom Caravans, Innovan Vista RV or Quantum Plus for off road units. There is also a nice Tasmanian unit that I have seen a couple of times - Cambridge Caravan
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 857364

Sponsored Links