Terrain Tamer Smart Coils?

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 22, 2015 at 08:23
ThreadID: 130061 Views:3766 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hello.
I am upgrading the suspension on my 1991 Toyota Landcruiser and I have been impressed by what I have seen regarding these Terrain Tame Smart Coils, their variable rate coil spring.

I'd be interested in the opinion of anyone ***who has them fitted*** as to if they think they are any better than normal coils, and what benefits (or not) they have noticed since fitting them.

I'm not interested in theory, just anyone using them (or has replaced them if they did not like them).

My vehicle sees a lot of dirt roads, corrugations, outback tracks etc.

Thank you in advance.

OBJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: TomH - Saturday, Aug 22, 2015 at 09:09

Saturday, Aug 22, 2015 at 09:09
I have not used that brand but had King Progressives in my 100ser.

The object of them is that when unloaded the car rides on the softer top part of the spring and when loaded compress and ride on the harder bottom half.
The 100ser was always a bit bum high and the Kings levelled it out a bit without compromising the ride.

They were good when towing and I no longer bothered pumping the airbags i had previously fitted. The rear didnt drop as far as it did on the standard coils.
It depends on whether you vary loads and get the benefit of both ways they work.

If you run loaded all the time you wont get the benefit of the unloaded end of them and probably just fit heavier standards or something.
AnswerID: 589515

Follow Up By: OBJ - Saturday, Aug 22, 2015 at 14:25

Saturday, Aug 22, 2015 at 14:25
Terrific response, TomH. Many thanks. That was pretty much what I was looking for. I think I will go ahead and have them fitted,. as I do travel both light and heavy. Much obliged.
OBJ
FollowupID: 857424

Sponsored Links