Camp grounds in WA, Coral sea etc

Hi,

Can someone recommend which are the best camp grounds in the NIngaloo, Denham, Coral sea area?

Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 16:49

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 16:49
Johnny,
We have just visited this area and enjoyed our stay at Yardie Creek Caravan Park. It is no Big4 and some of the facilities are a little dated. Nevertheless the Sunday Roast Dinners are a real treat, $20 pp. The communal kitchen has a Telstra 3G hotspot. The caravan park is outside the national park, however it is close to the Ningaloo snorkelling beaches. It is also not too far from Exmouth.Check out the reviews on TripAdvisor.
Robert
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 589603

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 18:45

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 18:45
Robert, sure you weren't referring to Yardie Station CP?
FollowupID: 857501

Follow Up By: JohnnyTasman - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 19:05

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 19:05
where else on the west coast did you enjoy?
FollowupID: 857502

Follow Up By: Member - Robert1660 - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 19:54

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 19:54
Scott,
Thanks for the correction. Indeed it was the Yardie Station CP
Robert
Robert

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 857504

Follow Up By: Pradobob - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 09:34

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 09:34
Indeed, it is Yardie Homestead Caravan Park.
FollowupID: 857519

Follow Up By: Member - Robert1660 - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 10:12

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 10:12
Pradobob,
Thanks for the correction. I need to check my notes rather than relying on an ageing memory.
Robert
Robert

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 857521

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 19:05

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 19:05
Hi Johnny,
The Coral Sea is off the coast of Qld ;)! I know you mean the Coral Coast for the coastline of WA north of Geraldton to Exmouth.

The only way to traverse the coastline is via the North West Coastal Hwy and then take detours to reach the beach. Take a look at the map here online and you'll see all the camps and accommodation options are marked (go to Places).

Other than a few overnight roadside camps, commercial roadhouse campgrounds, and commercial caravan parks at Shark Bay, Coral Bay, Exmouth there are two pastoral stations offering camping on their stretch of beachfront - Warroora Station (south of Coral Bay) and Ningaloo Station (north of Coral Bay). Plus there is National Park camping at Cape Range National Park in Exmouth.

There are many excellent beachfront camps available at the stations and in the national park - each with their pros and cons. It all depends on what you are seeking and what sort of setup you have and how self-sufficient you want to be (water, power, food, toilets, showers etc).

The station camps are better if you want to avoid high camp fees, enjoy the freedom of beach camping, and have your own boat. Fishing from the National Park area is not permitted due to marine park zoning but fishing is permitted from both the stations.

Here is a link to our Camps & Accommodation - Coral Coast in the ExplorOz Places system.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589607

Follow Up By: JohnnyTasman - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 19:09

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 19:09
Thanks Michelle!
FollowupID: 857503

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 22:09

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 22:09
Hi Michelle, your comment that fishing is not allowed in the national park but allowed on both stations is both incorrect and misleading. The only places where fishing is not allowed in the marine park and that includes both stations as they are in the marine park, is in the sanctuary zones and most of the zones between the tip of the cape and yardie creek allow fishing from the beach but not boat,. From memory there are two where beach fishing also is not allowed and one is on ningaloo station and the other just south of tannabiddy. Apart from the sanctuary zones fishing is allowed everywhere else in the park.
Cheers Graeme.
FollowupID: 857509

Follow Up By: Member - Robert1660 - Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 22:31

Monday, Aug 24, 2015 at 22:31
Johnny,

We found that the Hamelin Station Stay was absolutely first rate. It is very close to the Stramatolites of Hamelin Pool. The station has recently been taken over by the Bush Heritage Organisation. There are no powered sites just well organised bays to park your caravan or campertrailer. The communal kitchen is exceptional as are the eating areas. One eating area is inside away from the flies and the other is covered but outside. The toilet/shower facilities are absolutely first rate, in fact probably the best we have experienced in our recent WA trip. You do need to be a little careful as there is another CV park about 5 km away very close to the Stromatolites, however this is not nearly as good. It is probably a good idea to pre-book if you are thinking of staying. The eating area has a Telstra 3G hotspot. Very convenient!

We used this as a base for our day trip to Steep Point, the most westerly point on the Australian mainland. It is about 140 km from Hamelin Station and takes a full day. If you are keen you can book campsites there, however once you enter the national park the road turns into a soft sand track. The track is utterly not suitable for any caravan and you would have to take great care if you were towing a campertrailer. Nevertheless with a 4x4 and not towing a day trip is very worthwhile. You can certainly practise your sand driving skills! Just make sure you lower your tyre pressures otherwise the very soft sand track will make its presence felt in a very big way.

Because of the narrowness of the tracks and the vegetation I would recommend a sand flag. We attached ours and although we could not see other vehicles they could see us. Unfortunately the signposting in the park is very inadequate so you do need to take care. The Thunder Bay blowholes are very interesting and if they are not blowing water they are blowing air.
Cape Peron is similar and is not far from Denham. Again the tracks are soft sand so no towing. We did a day trip from Denham. There is a tyre deflation/inflation station with free compressed air available as you enter the park.

Monkey Mia dolphin feeding is a must. Extremely well organised and very informative. The trick with this is that the first session is generally very busy with lots of tourists. However, the dolphins often come back a little later and by then the crowds have generally moved on.

We did a snorkel with the Whalesharks at Ningaloo. There are a number of operators, however we chose "Ningaloo Blue". A totally professional operation. Not cheap at $350 pp but an experience that you will not forget. Unfortunately finding a Whaleshark cannot be guaranteed.
Onslow is worth a visit. It is a town undergoing a transition from a sleepy coastal town to a support centre for the massive Wheatstone Gas project.

From Karratha you can visit the petroglyphs of the Burrup Peninsula. Unfortunately the area is somewhat neglected and the petroglyphs, although very numerous, can be challenging to find.
Close to this area is the massive onshore processing plant for the NW Gas Project. It has an excellent information centre. The now semi-restored abandoned town of Cossack is worth a visit as it is not too far from Karratha.

Hope this gives you a few ideas for your travels.

Robert
Robert

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 857512

Follow Up By: JohnnyTasman - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 07:34

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 07:34
Thanks Graeme, can you give me some advice on shore fishing? Best places, what lures etc?

Johnny
FollowupID: 857514

Follow Up By: JohnnyTasman - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 07:37

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 07:37
Thanks Robert, great info. It is our first time to WA so all the tips we can get the better! Much appreciated!

Johnny
FollowupID: 857515

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 22:46

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 22:46
Hi Johnny, if just chasing pelagics from the shore soft plastics on light gear and walking and casting covering ground is what i do, using this method you will get spangleds as well my target species with plastics. Bait will catch catch all the species and they will come to you, fish the incoming tide next to structure, single circle hook, fresh mullet or squid, and put the time in. Biggest fish on our last trip in may this year was a gt of 15kgs plus on 6kg line and a tiny soft plastic, released. Have no photo on the tab but here is a typical queenie.
Cheers Graeme
FollowupID: 857557

Follow Up By: JohnnyTasman - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 06:51

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 06:51
Hi Graeme,
Soft plastics?! I was thinking bright shinny lures. Which size and type of plastics do you use? A heavy jig head to get the plastic out there? What is the beach fishing like? Beach rod and spinning lure?

Many thanks for the advice.

Johnny
FollowupID: 857558

Follow Up By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 00:34

Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 00:34
The fishing is good all along the coast off the shore. Light gear and light jigs the go for pelagics off the shore, find bait schools or just blind cast while walking, we stay at the light house caravan park every year. We like the position and a short walk to some of WAs best fishing platforms.
cheers Graeme
FollowupID: 857664

Follow Up By: JohnnyTasman - Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 13:28

Friday, Aug 28, 2015 at 13:28
So no beach rods (10")? How far out are you casting? can you tell me which jigs, weights etc?

thanks
FollowupID: 857686

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 11:26

Tuesday, Aug 25, 2015 at 11:26
Johnny,
Here are some useful documents regarding the fishing regulations in WA and in particular the Gascoyne Coast and Ningaloo Marine Park sanctuary zones explained.

Ningaloo Marine Park Zones

Dept of Fisheries - Marine Parks

2015 Recreational Fishing Guide WA

Gascoyne Species Identification Guide
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589633

Sponsored Links