Where is the east end of the Gunbarrel Hwy?

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 07:55
ThreadID: 130098 Views:2306 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Traveling on much of the Gunbarrel Hwy in 4 weeks with all permits in hand. :-)

After heading through Maralinga, the ABH, Connie Sue and Warburton, the plan is to go up to the Gunbarrel ad head east.

I am just trying to determine where the Gunbarrel actually was, east of Giles. Some maps ( inc EO) show it as heading to Uluru, which can't be right, others show it as stopping at the SA border near Surveyor generals corner ( Westprint).

However Len talks about starting just north of the NT SA border and heading west.

Even the Len Beadell website shows nothing east of Mulga Park.

I make it that the Mulga Park Rd , and then the Giles Mulga Park Rds were originally called the Gunbarrel Hwy.

Does anyone know for sure where it went on the east side of Giles.

Also I am having real trouble calling to book the SG corner, they never call back.
I'm going by the numbers on the Hema Map 08 8956 7566 and 08 8956 7998

I am pretty sure I have to book ahead and no weekends, is that right?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 09:28

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 09:28
Hello

The 2008 250K Natmap gives the impression that the Gunbarrel starts around Victory Downs Station. Appears to be called Mulga Park Road on other maps. Mulga Park Road joins the Stuart Highway about 19 kms south of Kulgera.

I dont know, but suspect the current Mulga Park Road and sections marked as the Gunbarrel (in the east at least) have a number of slight deviations from the "real" Gunbarrel Highway which have been created over time so if you are a purist you may need to do some more research to ensure you dont take any shortcuts. I am lead to believe Alan (AKA Equinox) knows the way.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 589658

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 19:08

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 19:08
Hi Greg / Boobook
As you've stated the highway ends (or starts really) at Victory Downs.
There's a few places where the road has been upgraded and is a bit off here and there.
If your going from Warburton take what is called the Warburton North Road up to JJ. This was the original highway.

After Giles keep going to the Giles Mulga Park Road turnoff and turn south.

As a side note this turnoff is actually the original terminus of the Sandy Blight Junction Road, not the other one 45kms or so to the north east.
Being really pedantic the original Gunbarrel actually is a fork to the right 100 metres or so before the sign.

Then just keep going to Victory Downs. The last 400 metres or so before Victory Downs the main road forks. Most people go this way as that is the main road these days however if you really want to say you've done the highway you will have to go to the homestead itself (that's the only part of the highway I haven't done yet)

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 857592

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 23:21

Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 23:21
Alan, you say "Then just keep going to Victory Downs." Is that down through Wingellina and then along the top of the APY Lands in SA, then up to Mulga Park and across to VD? We've done this end and the Mt Davies Road several times.

I haven't done the JJ bit (yet). In 1998 did the Heather Hwy bit that joined the GBH (managed to get lost and got a very unfriendly welcome at Tjirrkarli!) The old Pajero was never quite the same after the GBH corrugations.

Bob
FollowupID: 857661

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 23:54

Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 23:54
Bob,

Yes, east of Charnock Flats, south of Wingella, past Gosse pile and past Amata.

The JJ bit north of Warburton after the main drag is an old rarely used track, surprised more people don't drive it to be honest.

Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857662

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 11:55

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 11:55
Westprint's Alice_uluru_ed5 map shows the Old Gunbarrel Highway starting 26 kilometres south east of of the Warakurna Roadhouse at 25 09' 36" S 128 31' 25" E heading south. The original Gunbarrel Highway extends through Pitjantjatiara Aboriginal Lands in SA to Victory Downs Station near the Stuart Highway about 40 kilometres south west of Kulgera. Permits are required to travel this route.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 589663

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:49

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 12:49
Hi

Western end of the Gunbarrel Hwy is (from what I can figure) at Carnegie Station ~545km east of Warakurna Roadhouse. The term "Old Gunbarrel", it is just an "abandoned" section but still the Gunbarrel none the less.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857570

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 14:30

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 14:30
Interestingly, HEMA shows this

AnswerID: 589671

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 15:25

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 15:25
Thanks everybody they are all consistent with what I thought and what is in Len's book.

I think EO and Westprint may need to update their info.

Also any advice on SG corner?
AnswerID: 589674

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 16:45

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 16:45
You asked the question about the east end of the Gunbarrel. My response was from an outdated Westprint map as that had the answer to the question you asked. I never said it was the latest map.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857582

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 18:53

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 18:53
Relax Max (Chris:) - we dont know the currency of the WP map Boobook was looking at (or yours). I have (subsequent to previous replies) tracked down a WP map I have in my possession (South East - dated 2003 by the looks) - actually labels track to Victory Downs the "Old Gunbarrel" as also indicated on 2008 250K topo.

The EO 200K Topo map labels the Gunbarrel at the east end as Mulga Park Road (fair enough - assume that's its current official name?) but does also have an over plotted trek stating "Uluru via Old Gunbarrell (sic)" - a slightly ambiguous hint to its historic identity at this location.

So...update probably not required in both cases but maybe some additional annotation on some maps to clarify history/start- finish/location.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857590

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 19:29

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 19:29
Thanks Greg.

Re EO, I was referring to the trek note in this page.

EO Gunbarrel Hwy Trek Note

From that page.

"You can pick up the Gunbarrel from either Wiluna in the west, or Giles (Warakurna Roadhouse) in the east and so it is usually done as an extension/beginning of a Canning Stock Route Trek Note, West McDonald Ranges Trek Note or The Tanami Track. However technically, the Gunbarrel Highway is the section to the east of Carnegie Homestead through to Yulara (via Jackie Junction and Docker River). "

Also the map page seems to confirm it.

That is clearly wrong and what led me to question the whole thing me in the first place.

Hopefully EO can fix it.
FollowupID: 857595

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 19:44

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 19:44
No worries

Now that we have that sorted - the most important thing, have a good safe trip!

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857596

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 19:46

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 19:46
Boobook, EO is aware of the situation and will not change it - see my thread 65650 from 2009.

I still disagree with this, however it is their site so they can say what they want to be honest.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 857597

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 00:14

Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 00:14
equinox, agree. What they have mapped is the GCR, not the GBH.
FollowupID: 857612

Sponsored Links