WA Wildflower Treks

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 10:33
ThreadID: 130099 Views:2085 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hiya All .... I am trying to plan a trip north and north-east of Perth to tour the wildflower seasons ... as far north as Augustus and east to Kalgoorlie. Can anybody give me updates on wildflowers on display north of Perth. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Cheers ... NeilM_BoabOZ
NeilM_BoabOZ
UHF Channel # 15 - Callsign BoabOZ Mobile 2189
HF Callsign VKS737 Mobile 2189 / Selcall Number 2189 Iridium SatPhone 0405 894 252

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 13:06

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 13:06
Hi Neil,

Locals will be able to give you detailed info, but in terms of general areas, around Mullewa is great for everlastings (good camping at Tenindewa Well east of the town). For ground orchids and everlastings Canna is good (good bush camping area there). The road from Mullewa south to about Wubin has a great variety of wildflowers along as does the good gravel road from Watheroo to Badgingarra (and there was an informal camping spot about halfway along that road). The Lesueur National Park is is good for shrubs including feather flowers. Further North Kalbarri National Park is a "must see". The road out from Denham to the Francois Peron NP is also good for wildflowers.

Hope that helps a bit. Please take lots of photos and if you can, add them to the wildflower collection on this site.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 589667

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 22:15

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 22:15
All of the above, plus if you go through Perenjori, take a look out along the road out to the old Rothsay Mine site.

We were there a couple of weeks ago and the weather was still a bit too cool for the abundance we expected, but a phone call to a couple of the councils & tourist bureaus would help.

The crew at the Morawa Tourist office were spot on with their directions to find the wreath flowers in the area - 38 k out along the Yalgoo road - then across to Canna. We didn't see a lot of everlastings, but on previous visits they were outstanding - particularly along the Rothsay road.

Good luck

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 857607

Reply By: Joe Fury - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 13:41

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 13:41
G'day NeilM

Although the Pilbara isn't on your agenda the wildflower sprout this season in absolutely magnificent, the best it's been in many years.

Safe travels : Joe
AnswerID: 589669

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 23:16

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 23:16
Neil,

if you are looking for some nice campsites in the NE Wheatbelt, download this guide:

Granite Loop Trail

Also, you will find another great campsite, Camel Soak, east of Perenjori (refer to the advice in the post above).

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 589689

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 08:45

Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 08:45
North of Kalbarri last week was very impressive.
Not as spectacular as the Mt Magnet area display but worth the trip.

Paul
AnswerID: 589695

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Aug 29, 2015 at 07:03

Saturday, Aug 29, 2015 at 07:03
Hi Neil,
We recently did the Wildflower trail from Geraldton, heading inland a bit and then south on our way back to the East Coast.
There were spectacular wreath flowers near Pindar east of Mullewa. Some good camp spots at some of the marked stops along the trail too, some well off the road. We saw lots of flowers from Mullewa through to Wubin and camped at a couple of places, found it very quiet and enjoyable.

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 589765

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Saturday, Aug 29, 2015 at 23:29

Saturday, Aug 29, 2015 at 23:29
Hi again Neil - & just a heads up for anyone else in the WA wheatbelt area - the 'West Australian' newspaper today had a few pics and covering story about the abundance of wildflowers around Coorow at the present - pics looked like heaps of everlastings, which observed individually may not seem too impressive, but when viewed in massive displays alongside the roads and across large paddocks, provide a fairly spectacular display.

I would expect them to be around for some weeks.

One drawback with these is that they close up when rain is about, but that doesn't usually last for too long.

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 589778

Sponsored Links