GCR road conditions Yulara/Leonora

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 22:02
ThreadID: 130105 Views:2540 Replies:9 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Everyone.
Just new to the site and would like a little information on the GCR. Has any one travelled this bit of track in the last couple of weeks. The Mrs and I are travelling in a D-Max twin cab and will be entering the location shortly.
Tnx Onemongrel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - P and JM - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 22:17

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 22:17
Hi Onemongrel,

Welcome to the site hope you enjoy the members etc company. You will learn a lot and enjoy quite a few laughs.

Never done the GCR but in that great Isuzu D-Max you have you won't have a problem.
enjoy your trip and hope to see a blog on it when you return to your home town.

Cheers P&J
AnswerID: 589686

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 22:30

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015 at 22:30
There has been some discussion on this issue in a previous post. You will find some information there.Check it out.
Robert
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 589687

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:46

Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 10:46
We came that way about a month ago, towing with our Hilux, and it was a piece of cake. Track is rougher between NT border and Uluru, but overall no problems at all.
Enjoy!
AnswerID: 589703

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 15:19

Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 15:19
Did it in Julyyulara to the border was disgusting then the wa side was easy and mostly smooth

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 589706

Reply By: wombat100 - Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 16:09

Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 16:09
Went across from Ayers Rock to Laverton in July in a Mercedes Sprinter Van. No issues all the way- even on the NT side. Some great remote bush camping !!
Heaps of dingoes and camels. Have a great time.

AnswerID: 589710

Reply By: Member - John F (VIC) - Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 17:56

Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 17:56
Hi Onemongrel
Travelled the GCH in mid June towing 2 X 21' offroad caravans with 200 series Landcruisers as our tow vehicles.
Before we left Yulara made enquires at the information centre asking about the condition of the road. I was told depending on who you talk to in fact 1 chap had come in with a box of parts that's he claims feel of his vehicle.
We had planned 3 overnight stops and managed to do the journey with a 1 night stop.
We found the NT GCH a little rough but still fine to travel on. The WA section we found in very good condition. Tyre pressure we put down to 30 PSI all round mainly due to the weight of the van. would recommend 26 psi has suitable pressure.
Hope this helps your enquiry
Warm Regards
John
AnswerID: 589716

Reply By: Onemongrel - Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 18:08

Thursday, Aug 27, 2015 at 18:08
Tnx for the positive reply's. It is always great for the assistance of fellow travellers. The information on tyre pressures taken on board and noted.

Tnx and cheers from Onemongrel
AnswerID: 589718

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 13:54

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 13:54
Was on it Friday last week. Still in great condition and there is now 40 km of bitumen from the Heather Highway turnoff to Warburton. Fuel was $2.20 per litre for diesel (cheaper than last year) at the Warburton Roadhouse. The R/H has a nice little grassed area out the back for camping. $15 per person for a powered site.

Conditions deteriorate at the border for the 200 km to Uluru and is at its worst around Docker River so slow down and all will be good.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 589893

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 17:40

Wednesday, Sep 02, 2015 at 17:40
Onemongrel - I travelled Alice Springs to Perth via the Tjukaruru and GCR Roads in October last year, in a bog-standard 2WD petrol traytop Hilux. It's a great drive through mostly scenic country.
Never encountered any problems, apart from hitting one sizeable rock (about 125mm diameter) buried in a wheel rut, with the lower front suspension wishbone. No serious damage, just a small dent in the wishbone. Good clearance is essential.

The road conditions vary from month to month according to the amount of recent traffic and the recency of the grader maintenance.
I found the Kata Tjuta to Docker River section good, and the first section inside the W.A. border quite rutted and with some bad corrugations.
Overall, I had no trouble keeping up 90-100kmh in most places.

I was relatively lightly loaded (about 180kgs), wasn't towing anything, and carried 32 psi in all tyres.
Watch out for camels, bustards, the odd 'roo, and cars abandoned in the middle of the road - and be prepared to help the locals when they are out of fuel/water/food/tools, as they nearly always are.
I had to help one local bloke with a Barina (!) who had shredded a tyre, and left his wheelbrace at home! [;-)

Naturally, he needed petrol and water as well, and I must say he did well, not asking me for money, too! [;-) He wasn't a bad bloke, just poorly-prepared like so many of the locals.

Don't go into Warburton townsite unless you want to incur some major depression. The place is a total disgrace to anyone.

Warakurna is a great place to overnight. Excellent motel, camp kitchen, camping facilities, caravan park and ablutions.
Make sure you have the necessary permits (NT and W.A.)

Here's some pics of my trip.

Road trip - Tjukaruru Rd and GCR Road.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 589896

Sponsored Links