Kiwirrukurra to Karajini ??

Submitted: Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 13:31
ThreadID: 130212 Views:1796 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks

Wondering if anyone has travelled from Kintore, out to Kiwirrukurra and ended up in Karajini ? I'm trying to map a track, i have heard it exists but I cant seem to "connect the dots" on google earth.

I'm out in Alice and prefer not to have to go as far south as the great central road or north out Tanami via Halls Creek.

Any info would be appreciated...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: cookie1 - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 14:02

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 14:02
We went from Karajini to Warburton via Newman & the Talawana last year, this crosses the Canning at Georgia Bore so it would be a case of going from Georgia Bore to Well 33 and then out to Kiwirrkurra via the Gary Junction Road

HTH

Cheers
AnswerID: 590081

Follow Up By: Sandman - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 14:12

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 14:12
Thanks Mate

I suspect we might be quicker going out to Warburton via great central road as the road is good, rather than going out via Kintore...

What was the road/track like between Warburton and newman ?
FollowupID: 858073

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 14:42

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 14:42
As I mentioned, we took the Talawana Track which also traversed Gary Highway, Gunbarrel & Heather Highways.

Overgrown with spinifex when we went through but a great drive nonetheless and took about 3 days

We were only on the GCR from Warburton to Giles Mulga Park Road where we headed on to Surveyor Generals Corner and through the APY Lands (with permission) out to Mulga Park

cheers
FollowupID: 858075

Reply By: maurice b - Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 16:39

Monday, Sep 07, 2015 at 16:39
I have travelled this way quiet a few times, from Kiwirrukurra its all sign posted to MB. Head west towards Telfer then directly to Marble Bar. From Marble Bar take the Woodstock road to the Great Northern Hyway , Then head south, turn off to Karajini is 36km south of Austi Road House. Or chose a different route from west of Telfer .Try to visit the rockholes on the GJH including the other POIs marked on the hema sheet
AnswerID: 590089

Reply By: Geoff N (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 00:14

Thursday, Sep 10, 2015 at 00:14
Over to Kunawarritji on the Gary Junction Road, down the Canning to Georgia Bore and thence the Talawana to Newman and Karajini. If you've the fuel capacity, going down the Gary Hwy from Gary Junction to Windy Corner then the full length of the Talawana is an excellent drive tho not for a large group as camping is limited on the eastern section of the Talawana. Good camping at Whau Whau bore (turnoff to Veevers Crater) but no water. Good camping and water also at the Windmill (now a pump) in the middle of the eastern section of the Talawana. Veevers Crater is also worth a visit - small but perfectly formed.
You could also go south past Telfer and Rudall River NP to the Talawana. This has the benefit of making a side trip into Desert Queen Baths very easy. Rough track but not difficult. It's an entertaining drive no matter which way you go.
AnswerID: 590198

Sponsored Links